Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 03:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

I had two mammograms in my early 50's and the report mentioned calcifications. I've never had another mamm since and I'm 78. I went to work on alternatives and breast health and for me iodine is vital:

Iodine and Breast Health: 6 Things You Need to Know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I have them, so whenever we moved (hopefully never again) a new doctor or radiologist finds one, have to have a repeat of mam: always ok. I happen to have one near one of the valves in my heart as well.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:24 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Probably best to first determine exactly what the exact makeup of the calcium is.

Bodily stones/deposits in the form of calcium, are mainly in the form of calcium-oxalate.......including
crystals in the breast-tissue.

Dietary oxalic-acid, when absorbed by the body, has a strong affinity to combine with various bodily minerals and metals, to form problematic deposits and stones.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,267 times
I was just diagnosed with micro-calcifications in my left breast and am scheduled for a breast biopsy next Thursday. The Radiologist was not too optimistic, which scared me. I've already had a young daughter die of Leukemia and three close friends die of breast cancer fairly young. I just feel like I need more information, more questions to ask. I want to be more informed.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannebab View Post
I was just diagnosed with micro-calcifications in my left breast and am scheduled for a breast biopsy next Thursday. The Radiologist was not too optimistic, which scared me. I've already had a young daughter die of Leukemia and three close friends die of breast cancer fairly young. I just feel like I need more information, more questions to ask. I want to be more informed.
The only two mammograms I had showed calcifications and I never did a thing. No biopsy ever suggested and I never had another mamm and I'm 80 soon. That was about 30 yrs ago and my breasts are fine.

Today probably more than ever MD's are so ready to jump to these biopsies and invasive surgeries...just my thinking as an older member here who has seen so much changes in the medical world.

But you need to go with your thoughts about this. Maybe even talk to naturopath doctor about your concerns.

Do you take any or much calcium tabs? I don't but did some yrs back and now take care of my breasts with what I believe to help me.

Those mamms are a very fearful time for women. Probably Most women get these mamms in this time of medical world, and as I said I had 2, but I have a friend who is 73 I think and she's never done one...Never. My mother and all her sisters never had this great pleasure?? in their lives. Just some thoughts.

Some good info in this thread, hope you read it all.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-29-2018 at 10:41 AM..

Old 06-29-2018, 12:26 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
there are 2 types of calcifications: Micro and Macro. I have macro and while those are sometimes precancerous my doctors have never requested a biopsy. The first time they showed up I had to repeat the mammogram in 6 months. Then again in 6 months. Now they just compare last years to the current and I go on with my life and never think about it.

So sorry about losing your child.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Lemon juice I've heard will break up calcium deposits. I was once diagnosed with borderline hyper calcemia.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
I've been where you are and sympathize fully. Micro-calcifications themselves are rarely cancerous, but a cluster of them can make an existing tumor more detectable. The biopsy is a totally reasonable follow-up. In a way, microcalcifications are a good thing...they can focus the biopsy to where it will do the most good, and now that you know they are there, can help future monitoring. The biopsy results will either put your mind at ease or provide the information you need to proceed. Believe me I know how hard it is to wait. It can certainly turn out to be benign. Here's an article about breast calcifications that may help:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/...n/sym-20050834

Good luck OP!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-29-2018 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 02:34 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Lemon juice I've heard will break up calcium deposits. I was once diagnosed with borderline hyper calcemia.
Suggest you go back and read the rest of this thread.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:55 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry about your daughter and friends! Are they doing a wire guided excisional biopsy?

I went for a routine mammogram in March. It's been 5 years since my last. They called me back a week later to do a diagnostic mammogram. Immediately after the radiologist came in and said I had a group of micro-calcifications. Normally these are benign but they were grouped in a way that were suspicious. We scheduled a wire guided excisional biopsy a few weeks later. It came back as LCIS, Lobular carcinoma in situ which is an area (or areas) of abnormal cell growth that increases a person's risk of developing invasive breast cancer later on in life. I then had a Breast MRI, an ultrasound guided needle biopsy on two other suspicious areas that popped up in the MRI and another mammogram. Now they want to do ANOTHER excisional biopsy due to the pathologist thinking they didn't take enough tissue from the needle biopsy to get a clear benign status.

At any rate, you really need to do it to be sure everything is fine! I'm trying to heal from all of these biopsies before I have anything else done, but right now my options are......

*Watch and continuously screen
*Take Tamoxifen or 5 years and watch and screen
*Have a double mastectomy (as once you are diagnosed with LCIS, BC can develop in either breast.

As of now I'm choosing to watch and screen, but seeing an Oncologist every few months. I will have another scan in about 2 months and if there are any changes I will probably have another biopsy.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness