Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,299,394 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of this product? I used to use it in the early 60s. I ordered it from a fishing or hunting magazine from an ad in the back. It is no longer listed that I know of. The product was made in Penn. It was sold for 50cents and came in a tiny vial. You sniffed the cork and the ingredients went into your sinus' and cleared them out really well. The only ingredients that were in this product that I remember is chili and euclyptus. Other than that there may have been mentrol or peppermint, but maybe something else as well. I have tried making my own preparation at home but nothing works. The idea is to get the chili fumes to go into your sinus' and all I manage to do it get the menthol or peppermint ingredients to do that. Any knowledge or ideas about this product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 07:07 AM

436 posts, read 803,526 times
No longer on the market, except as an herbal antique. It is sold with the provision that it is not to be used in any way other than for presentation as as antique.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:11 AM

Do you know who made it? How can I contact them? What makes you think that it was sold as an herbal antique, especially when it was the best product on the market? You certainly never became addicted to it like you do nasal sprays, which should be removed from the market.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:05 PM

436 posts, read 803,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Do you know who made it? How can I contact them? What makes you think that it was sold as an herbal antique, especially when it was the best product on the market? You certainly never became addicted to it like you do nasal sprays, which should be removed from the market.
You are far too involved into herbals. Just do a google search, and you will find the product.

BYW- nasal sprays are NOT addictive.

Remember- just because it is natural, does not mean it is safe.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:28 AM

I have done google searches for Indian Chief. I am not too involved in herbals, and yes, nasal sprays are addictive because I have been addicted to them and so have my friends. Neither of us could breath without them, and once you go off them your nose you can't breath well for days due to the stuffiness. I think they call it a rebound effect.

P.S. Pharmacutical companies sometimes, if not often, rely on herbs and other plants to make their products. For example Valium was made from valerain root. The root doesn't cause problems, but the drug made from it certainly does.
Aspirin was made from willowbark. Capsaisin is found in chili, and it works far better than the capaisin that is sold over the counter. I could go on.

I have the feeling from what you wrote that you have never heard of the Indian Chief product but was just putting it down because it was an herb, and if I am wrong, I hope that you will prove me wrong because I would love to know what happened to the product and who made it.

And as you say, "Remember just because it is natural, does not mean it is safe," I could also say, "Remember just because a doctor prescribles it; does not mean it is safe."

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 12-25-2007 at 09:36 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 06:00 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,917,599 times
You know who might have some information - The Vermont Country Store. They have helped me locate several "blast from the past" products which I thought were no longer made. Even if they have no information, they are so nice and helpful. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 AM

I get their catalog. Love that store. I will ask them. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,971 times
Good Morning Mattie Jo,
Here in Asia, I Manufacture the "Neti Stik" Sinus inhaler for Himalayan Institute in Pennsylvania.
This may provide you with some sinus relief.
What active herbal ingredient do you remember in the Indian Chief product?
Perhaps I can help
Sincerely
Lyle Stevenson
[email]contact@purist.biz[/email]

Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,213,920 times
This sounds similar:

Amazon.com: Sinus Buster Allergy Formula by Sinus Buster - .68 Ounces: Health &…

Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,889 times
Smile indian Chef inhaler

I have an inhaler and it was made in Lincoln Park, MIchigan. "The Adell Inhaler Co"
The ingred. are Lavender flowers, Eucolpatus leaves, mustard seed, oils of campher, mustard. Something else I can't make out the first word, Earl is the last word so if you know your herbs you might know what it is. My inlaws had it in thier things when they died I cleaned out their things and my husband said was the best thing. He remembered it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I have done google searches for Indian Chief. I am not too involved in herbals, and yes, nasal sprays are addictive because I have been addicted to them and so have my friends. Neither of us could breath without them, and once you go off them your nose you can't breath well for days due to the stuffiness. I think they call it a rebound effect.

P.S. Pharmacutical companies sometimes, if not often, rely on herbs and other plants to make their products. For example Valium was made from valerain root. The root doesn't cause problems, but the drug made from it certainly does.
Aspirin was made from willowbark. Capsaisin is found in chili, and it works far better than the capaisin that is sold over the counter. I could go on.

I have the feeling from what you wrote that you have never heard of the Indian Chief product but was just putting it down because it was an herb, and if I am wrong, I hope that you will prove me wrong because I would love to know what happened to the product and who made it.

And as you say, "Remember just because it is natural, does not mean it is safe," I could also say, "Remember just because a doctor prescribles it; does not mean it is safe."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness