Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times

Advertisements

Wife's caregiver reported that her sister had not had a BM in two weeks and is being stubborn about seeking medical intervention. An obvious inference is some type of obstruction. The sister reportedly maintained a well-balanced diet during the two weeks, kept hydrated, and engaged in walking and miniature golf. Incidentally, she's quite trim and youthful for 49. Heavy cigarette smoker since age 13 though. Update: she wolfed down a mouthful of laxatives and finally had an extensive BM.

Have you ever heard of constipation to this degree? Wouldn't have thought that such a prolonged period would be even theoretically possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:31 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Update: she wolfed down a mouthful of laxatives and finally had an extensive BM.
I suspect that's not the end of her problems. She might be at the beginning of mega colon or some other condition. I'm not a doctor, but I would keep an eye on the problem and let her primary doctor know about it. I'm glad that wasn't a bowel obstruction. Taking laxatives wasn't a smart move.

If it happens again this week, try to insist that she see a doctor and have that checked.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Anybody on powerful drugs can get terribly constipated...especially narcotics. In the hospital 20 years ago after serious multiple surgeries i was in medically induced coma for 4 weeks. And on powerful pain killers for weeks after that. I don't know how long I went without a BM but finally getting relief was a huge multi hour ordeal with medical intervention. It was much worse than natural childbirth which my husband said was like trying to poop a basketball....which is what I actually ended up doing. At least with childbirth you got a prize for all your efforts.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 AM

107 posts, read 558,909 times
I've heard people had no BM for a month. At that point the stool may become so hard you can seriously damage your anus if you try to push that out.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
This can be pretty serious. The Duke had 40 pounds of impacted fecal matter in his colon when he passed on. Of course Mr. Wayne was suffering from cancer, and was presumably on some heavy duty pain killers which definitely will constipate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness