U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 03:47 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,200,061 times

Advertisements

I am a very healthy eater but I seem to get irritable bowels when I eat raw vegetables. My normal Vegetable intake is things like Broccoli, carrots, tomato, celery etc. I have no problem when they're cooked but eating them raw gives me problems. Is there anything I can do? Eating every serving of vegetables cooked is just not feasible with my lifestyle. I've tried drinking V8 as well and that seems to give me problems too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM

107 posts, read 511,230 times
I've often read insoluble fiber can worsen irritable bowel syndrome. Foods high in insoluble fiber include whole-grain cereals, barley, legumes, turnip greens, okra, spinach, collard, avocado (an incomplete list).

Those you listed are actually quite low in fiber, so I'm not sure...

Old 09-04-2014, 04:52 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,150,269 times
What is it about your lifestyle that makes cooked vegetables not easy to make a part of it?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:38 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,038,372 times
I have IBS also but have the opposite experience of yours - I have to eat raw vegetables every day in fairly large quantities in order to keep my IBS in check - although I can overdo the vegetables and that causes some problems sometimes. One thing I do notice is leafy green vegetables are fine if I limit myself to one large salad a day - if I eat two salads, I will have problems.

I think you need to eat what makes your digestive system happy - nothing wrong with eating cooked vegetables. Are you able to eat a tiny bit of raw veggies - say a couple of leaves of spinach and a carrot or celery? Does it help to cut your raw greens into small pieces and chew thoroughly?

IBS is the pits for sure!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:27 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,200,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
What is it about your lifestyle that makes cooked vegetables not easy to make a part of it?
Just with my work schedule, I'm eating breakfast and lunch at work, so I don't have a chance to cook vegetables. I suppose I could cook some in advance but I'm not sure if they would get soggy/gross?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,150,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Just with my work schedule, I'm eating breakfast and lunch at work, so I don't have a chance to cook vegetables. I suppose I could cook some in advance but I'm not sure if they would get soggy/gross?

I'll boil vegetables, i.e carrots, peas, broccoli, green beans, etc. & put them in a container for the next day when I just warm them up in the microwave.

Be sure to drain the veg well & allow to cool before placing in the fridge.

If you want you can put some cooked rice or pasta in the same container with the cooked veg & just microwave it for a great lunch.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:34 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,062,045 times
pete6032, I feel your pain! I have been where you are and know what it is like. I had IBS before it was called that... I could not eat NOTHING raw and NO roughage of any kind.. That was in my early 20's and up until about 5 years ago. So from my 20's to in my 60's I had to be careful of what I ate. There were rare times when I would get constipated and I would make use of that time by having something I couldn't have all those years but I had to be careful of how much I would eat..or I'd pay for it!

I have been able to eat anything I want, now I can eat nuts, home cooked beans, fresh salads, all the fresh fruit I want. Those were the 4 things I missed the most. BUT, I had to wait 30 years to be able to do that..

The only thing I did to make that happen was I prayed a lot that I could eat the things I enjoy again before I die. There is no magic cure for IBS.

Unfortunately it is carried in your genes and my daughter has it too. This runs on my Dad's side of the family. But I am SO glad I no longer have to ask people what is in the food before I can eat it and now I can just eat what I want...

Old 09-09-2014, 12:25 PM

18,134 posts, read 37,090,087 times
Lettuce is the worst for me. What's weird is that it only causes problems some of the time. If I eat a salad there's a 50% chance it's going to go right through me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness