Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:22 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times

Advertisements

I've been sober since before City-Data was an itch.

Tonight, I'm addicted to pinon nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,411 times
Im not a doctor, but i have a theory. I drink usually a lot. I only smoke about 5 ciggarets a day but if i drink i go through a pack or 2. it has always boggled my mind why so have researching stuff and so far i know that smoking gives you a relaxed feeling because it constricts the blood vessels and therefore supplying less blood to your brain and making you feel a bit light headed and relaxed. but alcohol is a vasodilator so it opens up your blood vessels thats why people get rosy cheeks when they drink there is more blood supply to their body parts so when you smoke you don't feel the buzz that you are supposed to so you feel like you are not satisfied and you keep smoking. I really believe this is why. It's like if you are trying to go faster in your car and you press the gas pedal but u dont go faster, so you keep pressing it hoping it will work.

Last edited by captainmorgan88; 05-05-2010 at 01:31 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Lowered inhibitions is part of it. The other part is that alcohol and nicotine act synergestically, making the effects of each other more powerful, so each is more addictive when using both together.
Yes, this synergy is what makes quitting so hard for some. This synergy also exist between nicotine and anything with caffeine (cola's, coffee, Mt Dew, Redbull, etc.) so booze isn't the only thing that makes it tough to quit or will increase your tobacco consumption..

Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan88 View Post
Im not a doctor, but i have a theory. I drink usually a lot. I only smoke about 5 ciggarets a day but if i drink i go through a pack or 2. it has always boggled my mind why so have researching stuff and so far i know that smoking gives you a relaxed feeling because it constricts the blood vessels and therefore supplying less blood to your brain and making you feel a bit light headed and relaxed. but alcohol is a vasodilator so it opens up your blood vessels thats why people get rosy cheeks when they drink there is more blood supply to their body parts so when you smoke you don't feel the buzz that you are supposed to so you feel like you are not satisfied and you keep smoking. I really believe this is why. It's like if you are trying to go faster in your car and you press the gas pedal but u dont go faster, so you keep pressing it hoping it will work.
WHAAAAT ? ?
Nicotine is a vasodilator short term.
Long term, it raises homocysteine levels and causes arteriosclerosis and plaque buildup. The plaque buildup is what causes the inside diameter of the blood vessels to decrease.

The relaxed feeling is also an effect of the nicotine as it is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. (lengthens the time serotonin is in the brain before it gets oxidized )

Rosy cheeks ? ? very few people get this from drinking alcohol.

Back to the books

Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 PM

367 posts, read 415,299 times
Nicotine gives you a buzz (ever smoke a cigarette after not having one for a long time? MAJOR head rush!). Smokers like cigarettes while drinking because it takes their high to the next level. It's like an add-on. Same thing for the caffeine high - nicotine takes it to the next level.

I quit smoking and drinking - but still have cigarettes when on vacation (weird rule, but works for me). I was happy to quit drinking when I quit smoking because the idea of drinking without being able to smoke was completely intolerable - I prefer to just have a Sprite and leave 'em both alone!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:59 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
WHAAAAT ? ?
Nicotine is a vasodilator short term.
Long term, it raises homocysteine levels and causes arteriosclerosis and plaque buildup. The plaque buildup is what causes the inside diameter of the blood vessels to decrease.

The relaxed feeling is also an effect of the nicotine as it is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. (lengthens the time serotonin is in the brain before it gets oxidized )

Rosy cheeks ? ? very few people get this from drinking alcohol.

Back to the books
WHAAAT??

Nicotine is a VASOCONSTRICTOR not a vasodilator....it causes vasospasm short term which is one of the reasons it is associated with acute coronary syndromes....

Effect of nicotine on vasoconstrictor and vasodilator responses in human skin vasculature -- Black et al. 281 (4): 1097 -- AJP - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology

"As a vasoconstrictor, nicotine tightens blood vessels and restricts blood flow, causing permanent damage to arteries in the long run"
Drugs and Smoking «*Princeton University Health Services

Old 05-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
WHAAAT??

Nicotine is a VASOCONSTRICTOR not a vasodilator....it causes vasospasm short term which is one of the reasons it is associated with acute coronary syndromes....

Effect of nicotine on vasoconstrictor and vasodilator responses in human skin vasculature -- Black et al. 281 (4): 1097 -- AJP - Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology

"As a vasoconstrictor, nicotine tightens blood vessels and restricts blood flow, causing permanent damage to arteries in the long run"
Drugs and Smoking «*Princeton University Health Services

oh no... time for someone to go back to school.

admit it, you know nothing about nicotine/niacin and it's affect on homocysteine level.

Your fist link refers to skin flaps in hamsters. The reason that regrowth is hindered by cigarette smoke is that the carbon monoxide in cigarettes displaces oxygen in the bloodstream.

Your second link is a pathetically researched and written (by students) description of why people shouldn't smoke and is grossly unscientific. "you shouldn't smoke cause it's yucky"

Keep Googling !

Last edited by Rhino127; 05-05-2010 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
oh no... time for someone to go back to school.

admit it, you know nothing about nicotine/niacin and it's affect on homocysteine level.

Your fist link refers to skin flaps in hamsters. The reason that regrowth is hindered by cigarette smoke is that the carbon monoxide in cigarettes displaces oxygen in the bloodstream.

Your second link is a pathetically researched and written (by students) description of why people shouldn't smoke and is grossly unscientific. "you shouldn't smoke cause it's yucky"

Keep Googling !
And you are absolutely clueless if you think nicotine is a vasodilator....its a vasoconstrictor.....pure and simple.

As someone who has done free flap surgery (on humans not hamsters) I know a little bit about what hinders blood supply to the flap....its NOT O2 displacement by CO....its VASOCONSTRICTION.

NUMBER ONE rule after flap surgery....no smoking...

WHY?

Vasoconstriction leading to flap necrosis.

Keep making things up though

By the by.....maybe YOU should go back to school and learn how to read a STUDY...

That study REFERENCES hamster models in the introduction.....the ACTUAL study was on HUMAN tissue.

Nice try though

Old 05-06-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
And you are absolutely clueless if you think nicotine is a vasodilator....its a vasoconstrictor.....pure and simple.

As someone who has done free flap surgery (on humans not hamsters) I know a little bit about what hinders blood supply to the flap....its NOT O2 displacement by CO....its VASOCONSTRICTION.

NUMBER ONE rule after flap surgery....no smoking...

WHY?

Vasoconstriction leading to flap necrosis.

Keep making things up though

By the by.....maybe YOU should go back to school and learn how to read a STUDY...

That study REFERENCES hamster models in the introduction.....the ACTUAL study was on HUMAN tissue.

Nice try though

how do you know that it's not O2 replacement by CO ? huh
THAT is the reason for flap necrosis. Not enough O2.

Stop relying on textbooks written in the forties by old men who never read the current journals.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:20 PM

[quote=Rhino127;14057888]how do you know that it's not O2 replacement by CO ? huh
THAT is the reason for flap necrosis. Not enough O2.

[b]Stop relying on textbooks written in the forties by old men who never read the current journals. QUOTE]

Funny stuff dude....

I just referenced a recent study (you know, the "hamster" study you misinterpreted) which definitively illustrates the vasoconstrictive effects of nicotine on skin flaps....

From said study:

"In summary, we demonstrated for the first time that acute nicotine treatment amplified the skin vasoconstrictor effect of NE and impaired the endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation in isolated perfused human skin flaps preconstricted with NE."

Last edited by tao; 05-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: edited out baiting remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness