U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:19 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,469,482 times

Advertisements

I think this is a rather common problem amongst smokers who also drink. I've noticed that it's not impossible for me to go through a pack or more in one night of drinking although I'm only about a 1/2 pack a day smoker. I'm not a heavy drinker, and even when I drink a few beers it's like I've already started chain smoking.

I assume it has to do with lowered inhibitions, but it seems more like the craving is persistently there. I suppose it's kind of hard to explain to a non-smoker, but all you other smokers out there who drink probably know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

If it is due to lowered inhibitions, would it be fair to say that a drug addict who drinks alcohol might be more prone to crave his/her drug of choice while drinking as well?? I just can't quite put the pieces together on this one although I think it's a fairly obvious answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 03:29 AM

613 posts, read 1,191,943 times
yes, i know exactly what you are talking about. its hard to really know exactly why it is, but i find that drinking puts you in a state in which you act on instincts. as a smoker its almost a natural instinct to smoke. often youll do things with out even thinking about them. the more drunk you get the less youll even realize that youre chain-smoking. also desires become much more intense. ive also noticed an increase desire to smoke marijuana, to have sex, to eat, to be social, and ect.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:09 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,994,617 times
Lowered inhibitions is part of it. The other part is that alcohol and nicotine act synergestically, making the effects of each other more powerful, so each is more addictive when using both together.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 AM

13,614 posts, read 22,145,681 times
Troop, you need to go to a smokeless bar..It will break the habit of smoking so much when you drink...When I smoked, I thought that everytime I had a cup of coffee or got on the phone that I had to smoke..I always smoked outside and everytime some phoned to chat I had to get a cup of and a cigarette and head outsidel..

Old 12-26-2007, 10:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,441,297 times
Lower inhibitions and you have linked the two in your mind...your body thinks that alcohol=smoking so if you drink you crave smoking more.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 AM

607 posts, read 3,349,044 times
I love cigars but haven't had one in two years. Everytime I smell one in a bar I start to crave one. So far I have resisted but I'm feeling a strong pull to the dark side.

My point is............ maybe just the smell of someone elses death stick makes you crave one.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:01 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,362,471 times
Doesn't that also apply to smoking + coffee = more of both? I've known smokers who really coffee and cig to get rolling in the morning.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:05 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,441,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Doesn't that also apply to smoking + coffee = more of both? I've known smokers who really coffee and cig to get rolling in the morning.
It's the same link in your mind (or the link of smell another poster mentioned). It's basic psych. Remember Pavlov's dog? Pavlov would ring a bell and then fed his dog. The dog was soon salivating at the sound of the bell because of the link to the food in his mind. Your brain links these things together so when you have one (coffee, alcohol, etc), it expects the other.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:00 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,469,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Troop, you need to go to a smokeless bar..It will break the habit of smoking so much when you drink...When I smoked, I thought that everytime I had a cup of coffee or got on the phone that I had to smoke..I always smoked outside and everytime some phoned to chat I had to get a cup of and a cigarette and head outsidel..
You know, even as a smoker, I do like smokeless bars for the exact reason you stated. The first time I went to one (in Canada) I was a little ticked off. Then I realized that I did smoke less because it was so freaking cold outside I only went when I really wanted one. Well, the next morning I woke up feeling much much better even considering the massive amounts of alcohol I consumed the night before... I think you're right Blue!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 16,764 times
i can't figure out why i can go all week without a smoke not even craving one, but as soon as friday rolls around & i am out having drinks i neeed a cigerette!!! i do not smoke unless i drink. weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness