Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:13 PM

250 posts, read 694,238 times

Advertisements

A friend has reached the age where she doesn’t think as clearly as she used to. Recently when visiting, I noticed that both lens of her glasses are badly scratched. Most of the scratches are very fine but they cover the lens from top to bottom and side to side, creating a “mist” for her to look through. I’m not sure how the glasses are getting scratched and she can’t tell me, nor can her husband.

She’s still very active, working in her garden a lot and cleaning her house constantly, so she could be scratching her glasses during these activities, but she did not take her glasses off while doing these during my visit. I didn’t see any way her glasses could be getting scratched. Each night she may be placing them on a scratchy surface. Her husband may be able to help her with this, but he has his own thinking problems.

My question is what can be done for an active person who needs glasses but is not capable of protecting them from scratches and not capable of managing contacts?

BTW, her husband said the glasses are progressive and have a scratch-resistant coating. I’m not sure about the coating. I believe her glasses are plastic but not certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Get glasses with real glass lenses. That's what I have and they are easy to clean with a cloth or even Kleenex. They don't scratch. Those plastic lenses scratch real easy.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
She's probably cleaning them on her shirt or a towel, both well-known to scratch lenses. There are scratch remover/repair kits like this one -

Amazon.com: Lens CPR Lens Doctor - Repair Scratched And Cloudy Glasses!: Health & Personal Care

I had a different one, but same idea. It worked really well, and application can be repeated as needed.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:57 PM

wit-nit, have you had real glass lens that didn't scratch? I'm asking because I'm reading on lots of sites that glass lens scratch. Will be interested in hearing about this from others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
She's probably cleaning them on her shirt or a towel, both well-known to scratch lenses.
Emeraldmaiden, I had to laugh at myself when I read your comment. I had not even considered that she might be scratching her glasses with her cleaning method. Just never entered my mind. Thanks so much. Now, the question is whether we can get her to use a microcloth. And, we have to find out if that really is the cause and if there are other causes.

I'm going to do my best to find a solution because this is not a trivial problem to her. She knows her eye glasses are scratched and they really irritate her. Her husband is a nice person but he is getting tired of buying glasses so often, as evidenced by the fact that he has let her glasses get so scratched without replacing them.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:04 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
Quote:
She's probably cleaning them on her shirt or a towel, both well-known to scratch lenses. There are scratch remover/repair kits like this one -

Amazon.com: Lens CPR Lens Doctor - Repair Scratched And Cloudy Glasses!: Health & Personal Care

I had a different one, but same idea. It worked really well, and application can be repeated as needed.
That gets terrible reviews. 135 people gave it 1 star.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
That gets terrible reviews. 135 people gave it 1 star.
Yeah, you're right; that one has terrible reviews. I was more suggesting the idea, not the specific product, but I should have chosen a better one.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
wit-nit, have you had real glass lens that didn't scratch? I'm asking because I'm reading on lots of sites that glass lens scratch. Will be interested in hearing about this from others.

Emeraldmaiden, I had to laugh at myself when I read your comment. I had not even considered that she might be scratching her glasses with her cleaning method. Just never entered my mind. Thanks so much. Now, the question is whether we can get her to use a microcloth. And, we have to find out if that really is the cause and if there are other causes.

I'm going to do my best to find a solution because this is not a trivial problem to her. She knows her eye glasses are scratched and they really irritate her. Her husband is a nice person but he is getting tired of buying glasses so often, as evidenced by the fact that he has let her glasses get so scratched without replacing them.
It's really common in people who have worn glass eyeglasses for a long time. They don't realize just how scratchy their "soft" cloth can be on plastic lenses. It usually shows as very fine scratches all over the inside & outside of the lens, and all directions, or even circular scratching.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:25 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
I've been wearing real glass lenses for many many years (40+) and have yet to get one scratched. I did have a rock fly up once and hit one lens and put a pit in it, luckily I was wearing them or I may have lost an eye. Also for safety reasons they won't crack or shatter when wearing them if something flies up into the eye area.
I know others that wear the glass lenses too just for the reason that they don't scratch. It would take a diamond ring to scratch one. If someone is claiming their glass lens scratched then it would have to be some special coating on them that scratched, not the glass.
I tried the plastic lenses one time, 2 weeks later I was back to glass. The primary reason my doctor said that people wear plastic type is that they are lighter and you may have more frame choices.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 PM

843 posts, read 2,216,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I've been wearing real glass lenses for many many years (40+) and have yet to get one scratched. I did have a rock fly up once and hit one lens and put a pit in it, luckily I was wearing them or I may have lost an eye. Also for safety reasons they won't crack or shatter when wearing them if something flies up into the eye area.
I know others that wear the glass lenses too just for the reason that they don't scratch. It would take a diamond ring to scratch one. If someone is claiming their glass lens scratched then it would have to be some special coating on them that scratched, not the glass.
I tried the plastic lenses one time, 2 weeks later I was back to glass. The primary reason my doctor said that people wear plastic type is that they are lighter and you may have more frame choices.
+1, only glass lenses for me. A lot of optometrists will try to steer you to plastics where the markups are higher and they can try to tack on as many extra's as possible.. Don't buy into the F.U.D., modern glass lenses are very tough and much more forgiving as far as cleaning. They will be heavier, and that might be an issue.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
...It usually shows as very fine scratches all over the inside & outside of the lens, and all directions, or even circular scratching.
Thank you, Emeraldmaiden. I wish I had known this when I was visiting. Seems like an excellent way to help figure out what is going on. Unfortunately I was visiting out-of-state, so now I'll have to ask her husband to take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I've been wearing real glass lenses for many many years (40+) and have yet to get one scratched... I know others that wear the glass lenses too just for the reason that they don't scratch. It would take a diamond ring to scratch one. If someone is claiming their glass lens scratched then it would have to be some special coating on them that scratched, not the glass... The primary reason my doctor said that people wear plastic type is that they are lighter and you may have more frame choices.
Thanks for telling me about your personal experience. Great point about the special coating being scratched rather than the real glass lens. Don't think limited frame choice will be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
+1, only glass lenses for me...modern glass lenses are very tough and much more forgiving as far as cleaning. They will be heavier, and that might be an issue.
Think the weight of glass may be OK, but won't know until it's tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness