U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:46 PM

95 posts, read 457,978 times

Advertisements

Where I used to live in Ca. there was a problem with "hard water" causing hair to break and fall out. Some people treated their water, not only to shower in but the drinking water as well. I think this is expensive though, but once they did this they no longer had the problems with their hair! I believe it to be entirely true. I moved to another state and my hair is healthy now. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,527,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.andMrs.Krinkle View Post
Where I used to live in Ca. there was a problem with "hard water" causing hair to break and fall out. Some people treated their water, not only to shower in but the drinking water as well. I think this is expensive though, but once they did this they no longer had the problems with their hair! I believe it to be entirely true. I moved to another state and my hair is healthy now. Hope this helps.
good point! We lived on a well and bought about $8000 in water filters, but that was to treat all kinds of things - from chemicals to plain old silt in our water.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 AM

67 posts, read 123,485 times
I dont know whats causing your hair loss, but i recently went through the same thing due to meds (majorly). I can tell you what i started doing to help the hair grow again but its only a suggestion. I started taking prenatal vitamins fish oil and a good b supplement and evening primrose. My hair started growing back pretty quickly. Now i have crazy little baby hairs everywhere. I looked up alot of different stuff online when i started losing my hair, and the one thing i can say is *a) its pretty common in women & *b)it really does seem in 90% of the cases the hair grows back. Sress and hormones seem to be the leading cause of hair loss in women. I did go to the doctor first and they just told me it was stress but their is a blood test they can do to see if its more than that i forgot the name of it but dont settle for the stress answer unless you know for sure that it is stress. I knew it wasnt and they never linked the meds to the hairloss, but when i went online people taking the same meds as me were all over the net talking about it. The doctor still said it wasnt one of the main side effects. Well i stopped taking the meds and the hairloss stopped instantly almost. So dont settle for what they tell you unless you know for sure that what they tell you is a possibility!!!! Good luck & you'll be fine take it from someone who was crying their eyes every night a couple months ago and now has problems (happily) keeping her hair contained because its growing out again. YOU'LL BE FINE!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 AM

67 posts, read 123,485 times
DHT is a hormone that can cause hairloss too much of it(DHT). I was told they needed to go beyond the regular blood count to check for it and then of course thyroids and hormones. The DHT was the blood test i was talking about on my first post. But you seem to be on the right track. I didnt mean to trivilize you hairloss it seems a little bit more than meds like mine was. But i still think you will be fine. Good Luck!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 27,348 times
Default went to civillian doctor who has no clue

My step-daugther went to the dermatologist and I went to a family practice doctor today. She wouldn't listen to me. She's telling me this is normal and not listening when I tell her this amount of hair loss is not normal for me. Also, it's getting worse. We are now losing eyebrow hairs. The amount of hair growth on the legs is not even half the normal amount. What is growing is so slow, I haven't had to shave in 8 days. The only thing the new doctor will test for is thallium. I brought pictures and medical records and all the ziplock bags of hair. I brushed my hair in her office to show all the little hairs that fall off that shouldn't and she wouldn't get off her seat to come look.

So now we're not only losing hair but normal facial hair for my husband and leg and arm hair for the females is not growing as much and as fast as it did out of the house. I need a doctor familiar with sick building syndrome or environmental illnesses or something.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,039,021 times
First and foremost you NEED to get out of that house, now. If your doctor won't check for heavy metals and radiation and other things that have been mentioned in this thread, you need to go to another doctor. If that doctor won't do anything, take your samples to an independent lab and have them analyzed. Call your local investigative news team and tell them what's going on, and get yourself a lawyer. Don't let this slide if you think something is really wrong.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 6,203 times
Hi,
I have the same symptoms and live in New York City borough. Sounds like the same style house. basement with 2 other floors (wooden) built in 1945. A year after we moved here my son and I have had pulminary problems. Both of us have been diagnosed with Asthma and I am losing my hair, just as you described. Whenever we go a away I don't loose any. Yesterday I just found 2 gray hairs on my 4 year old and his hair is thinning. No one can seem to give direction - docs say stress (that's not it) because even the baby sitter I had for 3 years was losing her hair and headaches. Since she has another job and moved her symptoms are gone. A full test on the house will cost upward of 5k and that does not include any remeditation.

So, while I too agree that you should see a civilian doctor, know that such a problem is occuring elsewhere in a civilian community. I own our house so it is not so easy to move but if I rented I would leave immediately. If you are able, that is the suggestion I'd offer you. In the mean time, take as many vitamins and fresh juices as possible to help support your body (as well as the kids'). All the best to you and yours!

Old 11-23-2014, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
I am a woman of 52, may daughter is 17 and my son 14 and we have all been experiencing hair loss for the last 7 years since what appeared to be a virus with chest pains, scalp spots and pains and breathlessness.We have had many tests and the only thing showing is low ferritin but mine is probably 3 times what it used to be and I have never experienced hair loss before. It was just too coincidental that happened to us all at the same time. I know we have some damp under our house and mould in a couple of cupboards which we are now using dehumidiiers for. I have been extremely unwell with numerous symptoms including chronic fatigue, collapse etc and my daughter's health is poor. She has been at university now for over a year and has visits home but matters do not seem to have improved much.
We have seen numerous practitioners but do not seem to be making much progress at present. I feel sure that initially it was not just diet related as why would it affect us all at the same time. This has been a hugely distressing time and I am desperate to find the answer. Could it possibly be candida initially triggered by the virus and exasperated by the mould in the house? Could it be Radon gas? Please help

Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,758 times
Hi, lisamarieandlarry. I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I'm very curious to know if your family's difficulties with hair loss ever resolved or were explained. I currently work on a military base, and ever since I started the job about 1.5 years ago, I have been dealing with respiratory issues. (Congestion in my throat with no other allergy symptoms.) In the last several months, my hair has started falling out as well. Especially since reading your story on this and a couple other forums, I question whether these two issues could be interrelated and connected to some sort of toxin exposure. I hope your family found some answers or, at least, saw a turnaround in your health, even if it was unexplained. If you have any updates on the situation, it would be incredibly helpful.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:15 PM

26,199 posts, read 9,851,342 times
My first thought was underactive thyroid. This condition is so complex and so many doctors just don't help us.

I know this is an old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness