Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 10:27 AM

172 posts, read 255,156 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I have suffered with dysautonomia/pots since i was 13 years old and I am now 23. I've been told for years and years how i'll "get better" by family members who just don't understand. I'm actually getting worse and had the most difficult summer to date. For those unfamiliar, dysautonomia is a disorder of the autonomic nervous system. It causes rapid heart rate and rapid drop in blood pressure, extremely dilated pupils, trouble sleeping at night and trouble staying awake during the day, as well as trouble with getting too full from eating.

People with dysautonomia have heat AND cold intolerance, although I feel much better in the cold. In the hot summers, my blood pressure drops even more than the usual low of 95/60 and can sometimes dip to 85/60. I have to drink salt water to keep from fainting. In the wintertime, my blood pressure and heart rate feel fantastic, but I get Reynaud's syndrome, which causes my fingers and toes to turn white, frozen, and stiff from lack of blood flow.

Have any of you ever moved from the wickedly hot/humid deep south to somewhere else and felt better? I've been looking mostly into Seattle area, although I am terrified of the housing costs with a 1 bedroom now going for around $2,000 there. I've thought about Denver, but have heard elevation can worsen symptoms. Any dysautonomia patients out there who can help?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,801 times
I DO live in Denver. Yes, the altitude is killing me. I have Vascular Ehlers Danlos and Dysautonomia is the worst thing I deal with. I have POTS, as well. I am 63 and have fought hard and long and Quality of Life is near gone for me. I am profoundly weak and breathing and regulating BP and HR is very challenging. I have had pneumonia twice this year. I have asthma. I will have to move soon to sea level to go on. Please, ANYONE. I am Also looking at Seattle. This would be probably best case scenario for my struggle to regain some quality of life. Not sure if the sea air is good or bad for asthma? Please respond. Love to all struggling to live with Dysautonomia.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,724 times
I have POTS. I was living in ABQ and moved to Las Cruces and it has made a difference. I lived in the Seattle area pre pots and I would not move back. The traffic is horrible, cost of living high and the weather is only good for 3 months out of the year.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:37 AM

12 posts, read 25,538 times
Bump

Old 06-24-2019, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,427 times
Cladma: I am in Las Cfuces Too for 10 years with POTS, Gavr you found a doctor that understands the condition. I have found deserts with drier heat, but lots of water...usually higher deserts than low as too much heat is too much ! Of course sea level or beliw2,000 feet is best if you can find a place that is not stressful. Dry cold is better than wet cold unless it’s sea air!

Old 06-24-2019, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,427 times
Default Pots InCruces

Cladma: I am in Las Cruces Too for 10 years with POTS. Have you found a doctor that understands the condition? I have found deserts with drier heat, but lots of water...usually higher deserts than low as too much heat is too much! Of course sea level or below 2,000 feet is ideal if you can find a place that is not stressful. Dry cold is better than wet cold unless it’s sea air! I’ve been looking for that best place too that so can afford. It’s important to get lots of exercise wherever you are and hydrate, hydrate, and stay away from alcohol, caffeine and any stimulants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness