Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 AM

11 posts, read 13,647 times

Advertisements

I am a 20 year old female. Three years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and put on 25 mcg of levothyroxine. My endocrinolgist told me I didn't need it and my fam doc told me to take it so I was inconsistent on and off but didn't seem to have any problems. As of July 2014 I started back on it after I got my blood drawn it was 1.53 which is on the lower side. IVE been taking it every morn at the same time and as of late July I've noticed my hair falling out. I have two bald spots . My eyelashes are falling out. My hair won't stop falling out on chunks I can't even wash it or brush it . I just had my blood Drawn my thyroid level is .99 .... Which is still higher than .34 so they're an okay level BUT WHY AM I LOOSING HAIR! my doc diagnosed me with alopecia and told me to see my endo. My endo can't see me til a month and a half. I called other endocrinolgists and they don't accept new patients til December. At the rate my hairs falling out I will be bald by the time I see my endo. What do I do? I'm taking 25 mcg levothyroxine still and pre natals. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:57 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola_adelle View Post
I am a 20 year old female. Three years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and put on 25 mcg of levothyroxine. My endocrinolgist told me I didn't need it and my fam doc told me to take it so I was inconsistent on and off but didn't seem to have any problems. As of July 2014 I started back on it after I got my blood drawn it was 1.53 which is on the lower side. IVE been taking it every morn at the same time and as of late July I've noticed my hair falling out. I have two bald spots . My eyelashes are falling out. My hair won't stop falling out on chunks I can't even wash it or brush it . I just had my blood Drawn my thyroid level is .99 .... Which is still higher than .34 so they're an okay level BUT WHY AM I LOOSING HAIR! my doc diagnosed me with alopecia and told me to see my endo. My endo can't see me til a month and a half. I called other endocrinolgists and they don't accept new patients til December. At the rate my hairs falling out I will be bald by the time I see my endo. What do I do? I'm taking 25 mcg levothyroxine still and pre natals. Please help.

Sounds to me like you're now hyperthyroid. Normal TSH is around 2.

The higher your TSH the more hypothyroid you are.

The lower you TSH is heading to hyperthyroid.

You need to see your doctor & discuss your meds ASAP.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:47 AM

He told me to stay on my meds..

Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola_adelle View Post
He told me to stay on my meds..
The physician apparently thinks that its not that terribly serious or irreversible.

I can understand your distress, I'd find it distressing to be losing hair like that as a 58 year old man.

It might be a good idea to go for a wig, until this situation is resolved, which the doctors feel isn't going to be that terribly long.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
You have two problems. You have questions for your doctor and your hair is falling out. My friend suffered with alopecia for over 20 years. She bought two very nice wigs. Figure out how to get an appointment with the doc sooner than a month and a half. My sister and mother were nurses. I've worked for two doctors. Go to the office, make friends with the staff, lie. Try to get a better appointment.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:53 AM

I wasn't able to schedule an appointment with an endocrinolgist sooner but I did schedule an appointment with a dermatologist this week! I hope he has the answers. My hair won't stop falling out. I talked to my good friend that's a nurse and she thinks it's because three months ago I lost 25 lbs in a short time but Idk because I eat properly and get all nutrients needed .

Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 AM

Maybe its. Telogen effluvium ...

Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 PM

840 posts, read 773,289 times
Research alopecia for yourself:
alopecia natural - Dogpile Web Search=

Research thyroid conditions for yourself:
thyroid natural - Dogpile Web Search=

(Scroll down on the lists to find the best sources.)

Moderator cut: take it to P&OC

Thyroid disorders lead to all kinds of problems, Moderator cut: off topic For example . . .

They gave me *non-active* thyroid hormone, *instead of active* thyroid hormone, and my body was not able to synthesize one from the other because of a drug I was being prescribed by the same doctor. Which meant that I continued to have many of the symptoms, but they told my parents I was fabricating them! (The test they gave was *only* for the inactive form --which they were giving me-- so of course it showed normal.) . . .

By a simple test using a thermometer under the armpit upon awakening, I could have proven them wrong, but they never mentioned that fact or tried to use it themselves. It took a nutritionist to tell me about that. (You can read about such things in "stop the Thyroid Madness", listed one of those search results I posted a link for.)

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-22-2014 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness