Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,312 times

Advertisements

I just found out that my comfortable, rubbery, colorful shoes were causing my problems.

I couldn't figure it out. I eat good. I Work out. Take vitamins. ??

Then one day I put on my new pair of black Crocs and started sweating. It was cold in the room at the time.

I thought about it and realized that the shoes were made from a petroleum product.

I googled Crocs and plastic and saw that they use a chemical to make the plastic nice and soft and it was leaching out of the plastic through my pores and into my bloodstream.

The chemical group is called Phthalates and these chemicals are known to reduce testosterone levels and subsequently all other "manly attributes"

Luckily as soon as I stopped wearing them and got them out of my house everything got back to normal.

phthalates go ahead and copy and paste and check out this very bad chemical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
The thought of wearing all plastic shoes (made from petroleum based materials) that completely cover the foot does not appeal to me, so I am nowhere close to being a buyer for Crocs. They have sold millions of them all over the globe. I prefer shoes that are more like sandals that allow the feet to breathe better, and I often wear wool socks with them. It's startling that the molecules from Crocs would cause such an allergic reaction in such a short time. Of course, the "plastic smell" from a new car is something that bothers me, I suppose it's a similar type of an allergic reaction. I can't stand being in a new car without having a lot of fresh air blowing in my face.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:13 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,644,217 times
they're hideous anyways!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The thought of wearing all plastic shoes (made from petroleum based materials) that completely cover the foot does not appeal to me, so I am nowhere close to being a buyer for Crocs. They have sold millions of them all over the globe. I prefer shoes that are more like sandals that allow the feet to breathe better, and I often wear wool socks with them. It's startling that the molecules from Crocs would cause such an allergic reaction in such a short time. Of course, the "plastic smell" from a new car is something that bothers me, I suppose it's a similar type of an allergic reaction. I can't stand being in a new car without having a lot of fresh air blowing in my face.
Same chemical as in a car. It's not an allergy at all like when you can't eat peanuts. It's a chemical sensitivity, which basically means that you body has had enough and is fighting back.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:55 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
I love my crocs. Waaah! I doubt if I will toss them out, but I will do research first. They are so comfortable.

http://www.phthalates.org/yourhealth/human_exposure.asp

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006..._birkys_fo.php

http://www.parent-traps.com/2007/09/...lose-foot.html

http://www.productsthathurt.com/blog/200710051356/nrdc-study-finds-significant-levels-of-phthalates-in-select-air-fresheners.php (broken link)

http://www.blogginmomma.com/category/news/

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 12-28-2007 at 06:06 AM..

Old 12-28-2007, 07:09 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
they're hideous anyways!
That's my thought, as well. Although, I've noticed many nurses wearing them. Being on their feet all day, they definitely want something comfortable, so I guess these Crocs do the job. Personally, I wear leather sandals, leather tennis shoes, or leather boots, (depending on the time of year, and what I am doing). Leather breathes, plastic doesn't. I'll just leave those Crocs for the other folks who like them.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:33 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Plastic shoes are fine - for plastic feet.

I never understood why anyone would wear flip-flops either.

But a billion Asians can't be wrong.

Can they?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:57 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
I have sensitive feet that scream when I wear anything they don't like, so I am down to Ughs, flip flops by Reef, and then Crocs. The Crocs last a lot longer than the Reefs which begin to hurt my feet as soon as the fabric starts to mold to my feet, so that is about 3 months and $20. The Crocs don't make my feets sweat due to all of the holes in them.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 12-29-2007 at 05:02 AM..

Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 AM

Be aware........... Fake Crocs have not only Phthlates but PBDEs (Polybrominated diphynyl Ethers) , a fire retardant. This chemical is KNOWN to cause permanent nervous system damage.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
The chemical group is called Phthalates and these chemicals are known to reduce testosterone levels and subsequently all other "manly attributes"
This could explain why so many of my menopausal friends LOVE their Crocs .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness