Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 04:20 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times

Advertisements

Do/did you know any elderly persons who hardly suffer such common (and taken for granted) conditions as:
Presbyopia (vision problem) (this is much more common than cataract and usually taken for granted as if everyone will have it when older)
Loss of hearing
Dental problem (loss of teeth)
?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 04:27 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The "vision problem" is common and usually entails needing glasses for reading. Look around at how many people wear glasses. Hearing loss is a combination of heredity and environment (and wait until the current younger generation which walks around with ear buds installed begins to age. They're walking future hearing aid wearers.)

Tooth loss can be a result of many things, mine was due to an injury. More common is receding gums.

Things, whether organic or mechanical wear out/.

Too many implied stereotypes in your post. I'm surprised you didn't mention erectile dysfunction.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:53 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Well I'm an elderly person, wear glasses as most due, primarily for reading, my teeth are as good as they were at 1/2 my age says the dentist, no problems, my hearing, well my wife says I hear too much, tests show I have very little loss of hearing, I still hear that train whistle over a mile away.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:15 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
My teeth are not so good, but my eyesight has gotten so much better over the decades. I had very, very bad vision as a child, almost to the point I could have been declared legally blind.

Over the years, my scripts have been lower and lower. I asked why. Doctor said that as you age, your body changes. Sometimes when your eyesight is very bad to begin with, you body changes and makes it BETTER.

I could not see two feet in front of me in my 20s without glasses. Today in my 60s I almost never wear my glasses; only for driving. I can now read that eye chart about 5 lines down without glasses, whereas decades I could barely read the big E.

You win some (my eyes), You lose some (my teeth). Happy that it is not EVERYTHING! lol

Old 09-20-2014, 05:25 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think current older folks (Baby Boomers) had the benefit of good dental care our whole lives, while my grandparents all had dentures.
My DHs great aunt, in her mid 70's has never worn glasses, because one of her eyes is nearsighted and one is farsighted, so she can read and see distance normally. This is rare though.
I think many older folks can hear ok, but many cannot.
I am 66, and quite vital and healthy in most ways, but I need bifocal contacts, and I am losing my hearing. Since hearing aids are not covered on medical insurance, many of us choose to go around saying, "What?" instead of correcting the problem.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:37 PM

3,301 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Do/did you know any elderly persons who hardly suffer such common (and taken for granted) conditions as:
Presbyopia (vision problem) (this is much more common than cataract and usually taken for granted as if everyone will have it when older)
Loss of hearing
Dental problem (loss of teeth)
?
Define "elderly."

Old 09-20-2014, 07:12 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think current older folks (Baby Boomers) had the benefit of good dental care our whole lives
The experiences of many people I know is that the more they go to dentists, the worse their teeth become

Old 09-20-2014, 10:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
I had an eye injury as a child an eventually (2nd grade) started wearing glasses. For years I could take them off for a night out and get by pretty well. At 70, my trifocals serve me well. I still have pretty good far sight and of course, I have become a little near sighted.

My hearing is marginal in some registers. If someone is facing away from me and speaks lowly, I can most often get the drift.....and MY GRANDKIDS mumble and talk 90 miles per hours. I spend half my time saying...."what....?" That's their fault......

Not so good teeth and gums runs in my family but I still have my own teeth. Now, my last couple of dentists have commented, "You've got some pretty fancy dental work in there......". And I do. But I don't know for how much longer.....I go to the dentist every 4 months, just to try and maintain.

I am almost 71. It's my joints that aren't working so good.....lol

Old 09-21-2014, 12:53 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
My grandmother at 90 had the best hearing over me and all her children.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:07 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
My elderly mom has been a stickler about dental care and her teeth are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness