U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 AM
 
Location: a nation with hope
13,153 posts, read 17,853,627 times
Reputation: 5048

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with vertigo of unknown origin...that happens only once every few years? Doctor said it's "positional", but when it hits it lasts a week or even longer. It's accompanied by a mild top-of-the-head headache (feels like a mild migraine) and aggravated by quick change of position or fast movement. Everything has to be done in slow motion, so to speak. And don't even think of bending over to pick anything up.

Can it be caused by something like arthritis in the neck? Pillows too high when sleeping? Wrong type of pillow?

TIA,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
 
Location: In a house
21,956 posts, read 21,903,510 times
Reputation: 14937
I had the same thing happen this last summer. I just moved from CA to NC so thought it was the change or something in the air causing an allergy and affecting my sinus but I wasn't stuffy feeling. It finally went away and still have no clue what the cause was. It lasted for over a month. I was like you as far as everything I did was in slow motion. At times even getting up out of bed made the whole room spin. Guess I have to wait and see if it returns this next summer and then maybe I'll give in and see a Dr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Oz
2,238 posts, read 9,048,343 times
Reputation: 1375
Yes, I have this. It all started when several years ago I had a viral inner ear infection. Since then, once a year or so I'll have an "episode". It's medical definition is "benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" and there are varying degrees of severity.

After having had this occasionally for about 12 years now, here's what works for me in making it go away the fastest...as soon as it hits (for me it's always been while I'm lying down) get up. Immediately go take one or two Bonine tablets. You may have to let them dissolve under your tongue because if you're anything like me, the extreme nausea will not allow me to keep anything down other than small SMALL sips of water.

Once you take the Bonine, go sit down in a chair and keep your head in the same position until the Bonine kicks in (usually about 30-45 minutes). For me, there is always at least one head position I can find that is less annoying than the others. Once you find that position, try not to move your head from it. Yes, this is inconvenient, but it will help settle your inner ear sooner if you don't agitate it at all.

When it's time to sleep, do NOT go to bed and lie down. Sleep sitting up in a comfortable chair and use pillows to prop your head into the correct position. Take Bonine as necessary through the day, and don't eat anything because if you have to rush to the bathroom and toss your cookies, you'll agitate your inner ear again and have to start over getting it settled.

Sleep in the chair for one night, and the next day you *should* be able to start gently turning your head as necessary. When you go to bed that night, don't lie down at more than a 45deg angle. By the next day, you should be feeling pretty good and be able to carry on as normal.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM
 
1,727 posts, read 1,532,456 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Does anyone have experience with vertigo of unknown origin...that happens only once every few years? Doctor said it's "positional", but when it hits it lasts a week or even longer. It's accompanied by a mild top-of-the-head headache (feels like a mild migraine) and aggravated by quick change of position or fast movement. Everything has to be done in slow motion, so to speak. And don't even think of bending over to pick anything up.

Can it be caused by something like arthritis in the neck? Pillows too high when sleeping? Wrong type of pillow?

TIA,
There is something called a vestibular migraine. A friend had this and it (especially the vertigo) was very upsetting to her, but the sequence would be quicker, I couldn't say how long, but minutes or hours, not days. I believe it's also called a basilar migraine, but don't quote me on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Oz
2,238 posts, read 9,048,343 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
There is something called a vestibular migraine. A friend had this and it (especially the vertigo) was very upsetting to her, but the sequence would be quicker, I couldn't say how long, but minutes or hours, not days. I believe it's also called a basilar migraine, but don't quote me on that.
Google "BPPV" and you'll come up with loads of info about it. Due to the length of time it lasts, I'm more inclined to think it's BPPV rather than basilar migraine. But who knows? Inner ear stuff is weird...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,739 posts, read 32,420,464 times
Reputation: 6817
I have had a problem with this, the first time when my daughter was only months old. I was walking down the hall to her bedroom when all of a sudden I was on the floor. I was thankful I didn't have her in my arms. It only happens every couple years to me.

Another time I had turned my head a certain way and cocked it to one side, suddenly I was so dizzy I was about to throw up.

There is a theory of crystals that are in your inner ear and I think I read about some exercises you can do to keep them aligned. My birth Mother had it so bad she was at home in bed throwing up for a couple weeks one time. She does these exercises whenever she has a problem.

It has made me affraid to climb ladders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Oz
2,238 posts, read 9,048,343 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have had a problem with this, the first time when my daughter was only months old. I was walking down the hall to her bedroom when all of a sudden I was on the floor. I was thankful I didn't have her in my arms. It only happens every couple years to me.

Another time I had turned my head a certain way and cocked it to one side, suddenly I was so dizzy I was about to throw up.

There is a theory of crystals that are in your inner ear and I think I read about some exercises you can do to keep them aligned. My birth Mother had it so bad she was at home in bed throwing up for a couple weeks one time. She does these exercises whenever she has a problem.

It has made me affraid to climb ladders.
Yes, some people have good luck with the exercises. They don't do anything for me except make me puke even more. However, if you're interested in how they're done, here's a link with a description and instructions:

http://www.swedish.org/19386.cfm (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 02:44 PM
 
1,727 posts, read 1,532,456 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Google "BPPV" and you'll come up with loads of info about it. Due to the length of time it lasts, I'm more inclined to think it's BPPV rather than basilar migraine. But who knows? Inner ear stuff is weird...
Yes, for sure. My friend was so distraught about her vertigo (presumed basilar migraine after at least a year of uncertainty) and vertigo is just one thing (knock on wood) that I've never really had so it was difficult to understand her upset, even though I didn't doubt that it was upsetting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Vero Beach, Fl
2,949 posts, read 12,371,046 times
Reputation: 2089
Some years ago my husband began having bouts of vertigo that would last up to one week and left him bedridden. After he left his job at the university, they went away.

I have also had bouts of vertigo - they would last a few days and show up every few years or so. Quite unsettling. No medication really works.

Some of this is brought on by stress or inner ear among others. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,739 posts, read 32,420,464 times
Reputation: 6817
I try to make jokes about things when they are getting to me. I joke that its like being drunk without the expense of buying all the drinks, you even get the "I wanna throw up my insides" hangover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top