Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times

Advertisements

I've heard several comments lately from older people worried about this new young batch of people who will be taking care of us in our older age. Scary thought is the consensus!

They envision us older folks turning blue in our beds while these younger people ignore us, text on their cell phones, etc.

Well I had a small sample of being taken care of by these types a few days ago. I had a procedure done in the hospital...

-One nurse walked into my room, ignored me, then proceeded to call and talk to a friend on her cell phone. All personal conversation. She had her back to me and was hiding behind the curtain of the room so people walking by in the hallway would not see her (supervisor?).

-Another one, young male, did not say a word! Did not seem to be able to talk. Just walked in and looked at the monitors, then left and never said a word.

-I asked yet another male nurse a question and he did not know ANYTHING! He also did not offer to go ask someone else. His attitude was kind of "don't bother me".

Luckily I did have a wonderful RN who answered all my questions and paid attention to my care instead of her cell phone. Unfortunately, she was an older person too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:45 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
That is disturbing. Fortunately, the staff at the hospital I was in last year was much more personable. When I had a similar job many years ago, we made a point of acknowledging the patients any time we entered a room, even if it was just to check an IV.

You might want to consider mailing a note to the Administrator of the hospital, if you have the names of the specific employees. At the same time, you might also want to mention in a positive way anyone such as the RN who helped you.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I haven't had this experience in any hospital, including ER when my back went out on me a little over a month ago and I woke up in agony and unable to get out of bed.

I did have this experience, however, when I had a bone density scan earlier this year. It was in a tiny room, and the technician actually had me lay there on my back flat on the table (which is not comfortable for me because of the back problem), while she called what sounded like her daughter on her cell phone and had a talk for a few minutes with her.

The experience caught me by surprise - it was so unexpected and such deplorable treatment of a patient that I couldn't come up with the words to ask her in which Walmart she bought her certification.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:32 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
This reflects more on poor rules or training in place by the institution in question. Why are they allowing people to have cell phones on them during duty time? I certainly see it as no reason to generally slur people of the younger generation, since there are millions of caring, decent young people. That place needs more emphasis on discipline and priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness