U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,401,573 times

Advertisements

China is just doing what they always do, making inferior and slipshod products. It is up to this country, and the FDA, to monitor what comes into this country. And they claim they do not have the money or resources to check everything. Hence, only 1-2% of all imports are being checked. Corporate capitalism and our greed run amuk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 12:24 PM

607 posts, read 3,348,743 times
Many chemicals that China uses in their products have been banned in this country for years. China has very few rules concerning usage of chemicals or even handling them. I have personally seen the dire and dangerous conditions that the workers have to endure in the factories of China.

Every time anyone buys a product made in China or made with components from China is supporting slave labor and potentially poisoning yourself and your family.

Stores like Walmart, Costco and Target have perpetuated this by forcing vendors to make their products cheaper and cheaper.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:25 PM

5,006 posts, read 14,109,414 times
Well, I did a web search and my old dishes didn't have lead, so I am cancelling getting Corelle. That was good news. I just got the name of my dishes and googled. Being from China though, it does make me leery.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-27-2008 at 04:23 AM..

Old 01-01-2008, 12:33 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,401,573 times
I have some old glass plates, with nothing on them to warn me, and then the melamine I got from Target (made in China). So will be dispensing of them, and ordering my beautiful Corelle pattern! Can't wait!!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM

5,006 posts, read 14,109,414 times
From what I am reading glass dishes are fine as are pyrex. I did more google searching today and came up with these websites. I did have a set of Gibson dinner ware, just some plates that I got at a yard sale, and I will use them under potted plants. When I decide to get some deep bowls, I am going to get glass ones. May not get them from Wallie World though. Other than that I tossed out some mugs that I am unsure of using. Think again of using Corelle as they have small amount of lead according to website below. I am sending mine back, but mainly because I found my other dishes to be lead free--if you can believe the manufactorers.

http://wildinthecity.ca/2007/11/19/t...erware-i-think

http://theseep.wordpress.com/2007/12...es-you-betcha/

Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 PM

607 posts, read 3,348,743 times
Glass from U.S.A. that's the answer. Old school................ Wood furniture, not plastic or resin. Gold fillings in the teeth. Wool rugs, not nylon or polyester. I could go on and on.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 AM

893 posts, read 500,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
Many chemicals that China uses in their products have been banned in this country for years. China has very few rules concerning usage of chemicals or even handling them. I have personally seen the dire and dangerous conditions that the workers have to endure in the factories of China.

Every time anyone buys a product made in China or made with components from China is supporting slave labor and potentially poisoning yourself and your family.

Stores like Walmart, Costco and Target have perpetuated this by forcing vendors to make their products cheaper and cheaper.
Amen to that...........

Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 AM

10,739 posts, read 32,384,355 times
The problem with using dishes that are made of melamine is they are typically NOT microwave safe, using them in the micro I would think could make them dangerous to the food you serve on them.

I'm glad I read this thread because I have some of those glasses from Mexico, I've had them for years.

I recently purchased some new dishes and they are made in England.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:54 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,884,788 times
It's odd that I should come across this thread today....just last night my husband and myself went to several stores looking for some kind of inexpensive plates to feed my animals on. I don't like bowls because my cats share their dishes. I have several cats as I use to do cat rescue. I did not want any plates from China. Not glass or plastic. I could not find anything that wasn't made in China. The pet store only had bowls at $5.00 and up. I needed 6 plates and that was more then I wanted to pay. I finally had to get baby plates I found in the grocey store of all places. I could not even find those in the many other stores I looked in. The baby plates were made in the USA and are dishwasher safe---which I needed too. It was crazy just trying to locate anything NOT made in China!!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:26 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,486,977 times
I am in the process of switching over to Fiestaware. Not only is it lead free it is also made in the USA. I got the heather which is a bold purple and I really like it. It is a little pricey but the stores up here in NH have been having a 50% off. It is plain however I do not need any fancy pattern.

I try to make it a point to buy made in the USA whenever possible- I know not an easy task. It is more money because these companies have to compete with this ridiculous free trade with China and NAFTA garbage that has killed our manufacturing base.

Although things made here are more $$, the quality in what I have purchased is soooo much better. If I am going to but something - I save up for it if it is too much $$.

It is a shame that these babies were put in comas and died from that toy around Christmas time-cannot remember the name- and nothing has been done to stop these deadly imports.

Has anyone purchased a lead testing kit and tested it on anything around their home?

Nicole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or