Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:16 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/...?ContentID=955

Quote:
Because virtually everyone uses glazed china, this is one of the major potential sources of lead risk remaining in the American diet.

Potential risk factors include:

China handed down from a previous generation. These heirlooms were made before lead was recognized as a hazard.
Home-made or handcrafted china, either from the U.S. or abroad, unless you are sure the maker used a lead-free glaze or high-temperature, commercial firing practices.
Highly decorated, multi-colored inside surfaces (the part that touches the food and drink).
Decorations on top of the glaze instead of beneath it. Can you feel the decoration when you rub your fingers over it? When you hold the piece at an angle to the light, can you see brush strokes above the transparent glaze surface? Has the decoration begun to wear away?
Corroded glaze, or a dusty or chalky grey residue on the glaze after the piece has been washed. THIS TYPE OF CHINA COULD BE QUITE DANGEROUS. STOP USING IT AT ONCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I just bought a blanket and its made in China and i always sleep with it over my head so i'll probably throw it out as i don't want to breathe Lead at night.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM

I doubt if your blanket has lead in it. But my dishes do, and I know of a man that got lead poisoning from drinking out of glasses that contained lead and were made in Mexico. My doctor told me about it, and he was a doctor in Laredo, Texas when I lived there.
So what is lead poisoning?

http://www.aclppp.org/ceramic.htm (broken link)

This website talks about lead poisoning in dishes and how it accumulates in your body over time, and how in the U.S. it is required that you have a yellow triangle on the dish to show it has lead in it, but dishes from China do not have to have that mark.

http://www.calpoison.org/public/lead.html
Quote:
Left untreated, lead poisoning can damage many internal organs, including the kidney, nervous system and brain. Because of the possibility of permanent impairment, lead poisoning is particularly dangerous during the critical development periods of infants and young children under the age of 7 years.
Symptoms of lead poisoning:

Fatigue
Depression
Heart failure
Abdominal pain
Gout
Kidney failure
High blood pressure
Wrist or foot weakness
Reproductive problems
Anemia

Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Thanks for the warning, Jessaka! I'll check my regular dinnerware, though if I'm not mistaken, I believe that it was made in Japan. It was a set I inherited from my mother-in-law. But, I think I have some cheaper plates in my other cupboard; it would be a good idea to check on them, to see where they were made, although fortunately, I don't hardly ever use those. My glasses are Anchor Hocking, made in the U.S., and I also have a set made in Ireland. So, I'm presuming those are okay.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 PM

China isn't the only country making dishes with lead. Even the U.S. used to do so. I just bought a set of corelle dishes made here and without lead. They are not pretty but we seem to like using the few we have. hopefully something else isn't wrong with them.

I have always wanted to buy handmade pottery, and if I ever find someone where I live that makes pottery that I like and that is lead free, I would consider buying them.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,204 times
No offence intended but does anyone here think that lead leaches out of clear glass from Mexico? Like the bottles that Patron Tequila comes in. I don't, but I've been wrong before.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:21 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
No offence intended but does anyone here think that lead leaches out of clear glass from Mexico? Like the bottles that Patron Tequila comes in. I don't, but I've been wrong before.
Good heavens! I sure hope not, 'cause we drink margaritas made with Patron Gold!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:52 AM

The glassware that has lead in Mexico are the ones with the blue trim around them, sometimes they come with a green trim. Also they have bowls that match. It wouldn't be in bottles that I would know of. It is in the glaze of things, like other things from Mexico like dishes with a glaze. I bought a set of dishes from Mexico that I love but will not eat out of. I hope to display them someday. I have also bought dishes that say no lead, but I gave them away. Waah! You also find lead in lead crystal. now that is a duh.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:58 AM

I don't know if home tests work, but here is a website:

http://www.leadinspector.com/?gclid=...FQspFQodqC0RWA

It mentions that glass does have lead, but I don't know which kinds.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:32 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Watch the painted mugs from China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness