Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 08:39 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times

Advertisements

Seems Asia is on to something. Wearing a mask and washing your hands can cut your risk of getting the flu by 70%. That's good odds, so why don't Americans encourage people to wear masks?
How Ebola sped out of control | The Washington Post

Maybe we can even make it a fashion trend like Japan has.
More Japanese youth wearing surgical masks to hide their face ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

I think given the viruses that have been circulating lately it might be a good idea to start wearing these, either to prevent catching something or prevent spreading something you've caught. What are everyones thoughts? Why has this not caught on yet in America? Being half Korean myself, I often wear these as I was taught by my father early on to do this. You can even buy attractive ones for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:37 AM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Seems Asia is on to something. Wearing a mask and washing your hands can cut your risk of getting the flu by 70%. That's good odds, so why don't Americans encourage people to wear masks?
How Ebola sped out of control | The Washington Post

Maybe we can even make it a fashion trend like Japan has.
More Japanese youth wearing surgical masks to hide their face ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

I think given the viruses that have been circulating lately it might be a good idea to start wearing these, either to prevent catching something or prevent spreading something you've caught. What are everyones thoughts? Why has this not caught on yet in America? Being half Korean myself, I often wear these as I was taught by my father early on to do this. You can even buy attractive ones for work.
I thought Herd Immunity, where everyone gets their vax, would stop the flu?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:32 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
You can wear your mask, but if you touch an infected surface, then touch your eyes, nose or mouth later, well, there you go...you've caught it!

Hand washing is still the best defense.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You can wear your mask, but if you touch an infected surface, then touch your eyes, nose or mouth later, well, there you go...you've caught it!

If you read the article it states to do both, wash your hands and wear a mask. 70% reduction is quite a lot. Is it the "uncool" factor that gets most people in the U.S.? Or doubts that it works?

If you wear it while you are sick in public it stops the spread by quite a large margin. Isn't that worth the look of it?

Of course washing your hands should be done as well, just like we promote already. I just wondered why people were opposed to the surgical masks.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I thought Herd Immunity, where everyone gets their vax, would stop the flu?
The percentage of contagion is the about the same. About 70%. If those people who don't get the vaccine would wear them it would help them out. Plus, in Japan, everyone gets the vaccine, and wears the mask as well as washing their hands.

Plus the obvious, it helps stop things we don't have vaccines for. Sorry, it won't help with Ebola but it will help with colds, and other viruses we get each season.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
A mask is MISERABLE to wear! It's hot, sweaty...you're breathing in hot, yucky air. Ick.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
I have great dentist masks, very comfy for hours...I wore one on a plane once...no one else had the guts.
It was great...here's an attractive blonde...and no one wanted to get near me...heaven!!

Old 10-16-2014, 11:13 PM

1,013 posts, read 909,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post

where gloves and mask lets see then :X

also wear multiple gloves
then before taking them off use rubbing alcohol on them and then take the gloves off.
same with mask

done done done.
but you would look weird.

but best get prepared more and more cases of ebola popping up everywhere.

because idiots work in the WH and CDC as well as selfish fools keep going on planes and spreading it like
NBC workers DR Synderman... something
+
Nurse on to Cleveland.
etc

fact is we should have closed the airlines but now even if we do we can only hope to cut down the cases.

Yale is reportedly to have a suspicious student from W-Africa sick as well now.
and so the zombie apocalypse begins thanks to our el Presidente CDC intentionally killing us all off.
on orders of the elites.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:47 AM

Well, nobody would wear a mask to protect against Ebola, it's for flu's and cold's. But, I realize Ebola is a hot topic right now as well so I get it.

Also though, parents are concerned about the Enterovirus and this will protect against that.

Some people can't or don't get vaccinated, and this is actually quite effective. We could make it a fashion statement! Have little smile faces on them or sayings.

It's just another method for staying well or prevention. It's does not mean you are paranoid, just like washing your hands or getting a vaccine doesn't mean you are paranoid. Nobody is suggesting a space suit. It's just a little mask.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have great dentist masks, very comfy for hours...I wore one on a plane once...no one else had the guts.
It was great...here's an attractive blonde...and no one wanted to get near me...heaven!!
That's a great idea!
I wear mine for allergies when working in the yard, or preventing my mother from getting sick when I have a cold. She isn't in the best of health.
In Asia they are worn much of cold and flu season to prevent spread. Or for allergies at other times. It just becomes normal to see them. They have cute ones as well for the kids.

It's a nice way to protect yourself and if you want an organic way, without medicine this is another bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness