U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:08 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,550,490 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure any one saw the program Sweet Misery but it was identifying the issues with Nutrasweet. It was well done and really questions the consumption of Nutrasweet... Aspartame.
Did you know the chemical is made up of 3 componants..one of them is wood alcohol which is a nasty poison? There are links to MS brain tumors, blindness and many other issues, Apparently the product creates many nasty symptoms. If you are having health issues and consume it... drop it and see if you don't have improvement.
An interesting website about this is www.dorway.com. We have been lied to by Searle and sold out by the government departments responsible for food safety issues.
If you consume the artificial sweetners I recommend some investigation, it may save your life.
Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,235,656 times
I heartily agree! I don't eat or drink anything with aspartame. If I want something sugary, I'm better off with actual sugar, (preferably the raw, as it isn't quite so processed), or honey. Yes, I know, we shouldn't have too much sugar in our diets, but better the real deal, if one must, than the artificial stuff.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 PM

15,581 posts, read 28,307,956 times
Right after you drop the artificial sweetener, drop margarine. That stuff is bad too!

Good thread!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,532,155 times
A friend told me to try Stevia, which is available at health food stores. She probably told me this two years ago and I just bought it less than a week ago (although I did give up Nutra Sweet a long time ago).

Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,853,409 times
How about Splenda? http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/sweetener__splenda.jpg (broken link) Is that any less harmful, does anyone know?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:37 PM

5,135 posts, read 10,439,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
How about Splenda? http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/sweetener__splenda.jpg (broken link) Is that any less harmful, does anyone know?
I have read quite a bit about Splenda, none of it good...
here is an example

http://www.deepdownwellness.com/alth...dasymtoms.html

I just avoid all artificial sweeteners. Try stevia or xylitol instead!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,235,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Right after you drop the artificial sweetener, drop margarine. That stuff is bad too!

Good thread!
You won't ever find margarine in my house. Real butter for both cooking and baking. Not only is it better for you than margarine, but it tastes a heck of alot better, too!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,125,814 times
On nutrisweet my thinking was strange. My husband used to comment on my ability to think, so I went off it. The main sweet that I take in is sucanat, which is evaporated cane juice. I didn't like stevia.

I use real butter too celtic. I get mine from an Amish Cheesehouse, and it is cheaper and taste better than any butter you can find. I once read a book on butter and how it doesn't increase cholesterol, but I am not sure of this person's findings, but I do know that salad oil and margarines or even soft ones with soy are not good for you. I used olive oil and coconut oil if raw in my foods, but butter for baking.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:47 AM

38 posts, read 146,087 times
Unfortunately stevia tastes like an artificial sweetener even though it's natural, which I've found surprising. Some people like it though.

Funny with how some healthy things go. Margarine came on the scene as a more healthful alternative to butter, and it's been viewed as such for a long time now, and many have settled for that lesser satisfying taste in an attempt to live a more healthful lifestyle. But it turns out that hydrogenated oil (margarine) is actually the worst type of oil. It gives it a plastic type consistency that ends up sticking to the arteries more effectively.

You got to wonder how much marketing affects what's viewed as healthful. Hydrogenated vegetable oil has a longer shelf life and is cheaper than real butter. If this could be sold as "butter", a lot of profit would be made. So I think there was a lot of questionable marketing to make this work for companies out to make a buck. And it being softer no doubt helped it go mainstream. Health and taste wise, might as well stick to real butter.

And going with organic, or at least free range butter and dairy products is the way to go. There's little to fear when using these versions. Factory farmed versions bring in possible issues to worry about health wise, and even morally.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,354,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I heartily agree! I don't eat or drink anything with aspartame. If I want something sugary, I'm better off with actual sugar, (preferably the raw, as it isn't quite so processed), or honey. ........

Yep. Nothing manmade is better than actual sugar. Just use it in moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness