U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 AM

34,987 posts, read 22,044,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And some here just think pharma meds are all the answers...and they are NOT. I'm not telling anyone not to take their statins.....some of these folks have closed tight minds to all other protocols for healing.

And there are plenty who feel Americans are overmedicated. 244,000 deaths or more annually from drug interactions!!!!

But you, taking your pharma meds...... is ok. But other people taking them have closed minds and over medicated?

Personally, I feel the population (in general) does not eat right and does not exercise enough, and thus require meds that wouldn't otherwise... BUT I don't live their life, so I'm not going to talk smack about them and their decisions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 11:29 AM

26,242 posts, read 9,862,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But you, taking your pharma meds...... is ok. But other people taking them have closed minds and over medicated?

Personally, I feel the population (in general) does not eat right and does not exercise enough, and thus require meds that wouldn't otherwise... BUT I don't live their life, so I'm not going to talk smack about them and their decisions.
No it's not OK that I take the meds but as I wrote before I didn't know what I know now and didn't read labels etc back in the 90's...but I take other things so I don't have to go the pharma meds. And for me this makes more sense...I know it doesn't for a lot of Americans...and there are those who laugh at old folklore remedies...they worked back then and still do today in many parts of the world that are not the capitalistic world the U.S. is. Every doctor needs that huge big house/cars etc...

Old 06-04-2018, 11:34 AM

I can tell you I've personally tried all KINDS of alternative methods for the myriad of conditions I have, for decades..... they did nothing to control the diseases, meds DO.

So while I have a bunch of meds (and thus may fall under the "over medicated"), I am NOT over medicated.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 AM

5,931 posts, read 7,079,435 times
A lot of people take pills because it's easier than actually changing their lifestyle. I'm not saying that there aren't people who will need medications no matter what, but I really think most ailments can be eliminated or symptoms minimized by diet and exercise. But people want to have their cake and eat it too. And then wash it down with 4 glasses of wine or a few sodas.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:38 AM

11,350 posts, read 10,956,310 times
I don't see meds as evil. As my doctor said, they are tools in the toolbox if and when you need them. I have HBP, which could never be controlled without medication. I lost 70 lbs and I'm fit. I also have a sleeping disorder and I'd rather not have any more babies. So my bedside has several pill bottles. It is what it is, better than the alternative.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I can tell you I've personally tried all KINDS of alternative methods for the myriad of conditions I have, for decades..... they did nothing to control the diseases, meds DO.

So while I have a bunch of meds (and thus may fall under the "over medicated"), I am NOT over medicated.
I never said YOU were. I do see my neighbor who was hit with RA a couple yrs ago and boy has she aged from the drugs she takes. She was a vibrant strong woman and now...she can't afford to buy a lot of supplements but buys some.

I resent all the drug ads that bombard our tv programs and don't see them anymore as I got rid of tv. But before, good grief. And I've had my days in the ER with drug side effects and loved one on ICU from drug interactions...so I have resentments. Why can't we get pharma to give us drugs that don't cause ALL the side effects they do....sure seems like this can be done, but nope.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:42 AM

It's also the side-effect of being a Capitalistic country.

Think about it, we do not need 75 different crackers to choose from, or chips, and those aisles are HUGE in the supermarket (one could argue this begets the topic of the OP ), but the American consumer demands variety.

AND they demand a cure for their ills in a convenient form, so pharma fills the need.

If people didn't want the meds, there would be no market for them.

It is the consumer driving the industry.

(for the most part)

Remember..... no one is forced to take anything.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't see meds as evil. As my doctor said, they are tools in the toolbox if and when you need them. I have HBP, which could never be controlled without medication. I lost 70 lbs and I'm fit. I also have a sleeping disorder and I'd rather not have any more babies. So my bedside has several pill bottles. It is what it is, better than the alternative.
I have bottles on nightstand for sleep too and I sleep 8-10 hrs and have worked with alternatives for this good sleep. My latest addition is Melissa and I'm sure no one knows it. It's cheap otc. And as I see it, so much depends on which industry you want to support. I wonder if there are supplement lobbyists in D.C. Probably so as this industry has been attacked starting about 30 yrs ago in the health food stores. I saw shelves emptied and banners across the shelves. The alternative industry has had a hard battle.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:22 PM

17,655 posts, read 17,716,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You cannot get the same benefits from pills that you can get from a better diet. Drugs don't correct any problems, but a healthy lifestyle will correct many problems.

Drugs may provide an illusion of helping, because your cholesterol and blood pressure might be lowered. But you could still be very unhealthy.

I tried to explain this in another thread -- here is an example of someone who thinks lifestyle improvements and drugs have similar benefits. They also think it is not possible to convince patients to eat better.

But as I tried to explain, the problem is that they advise patients to lose weight by limiting calories, which almost never works permanently. So doctors decide that most patients don't have enough will power, and therefore give them drugs.

I agree with you about pills vs diet. But the reality is, many people are not going to go the better-diet route....so pills it is!

Old 06-04-2018, 03:26 PM

4,773 posts, read 3,213,137 times
I don't see meds as evil either, I see them as a last resort after trying everything else to cure the problem.

I didn't used to think this way, I used to be on lots of meds in my 20's/30's, my thinking changed over the years as we've discovered our family is very sensitive to certain foods and most medications. That's why I'm always more interested in alternative therapies.

Our doctors are aware that we always want to look at all other options first before getting on a lifetime prescription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness