U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 03:48 PM

7,130 posts, read 3,961,152 times

Advertisements

I lived in SW Florida and worked for a Public School district which initiated an Employee Wellness Program. On their Employee Health Questionnaire was a question on Sunblock Usage question, Do you use Sunblock every time you leave the house? What kind do you use?

I was a Para and had to take the kids outside for recess in the Noon day sun. I answered that my "sunblock" at work was long sleeved shirts, pants, and an UMBRELLA. Off work my "sunblock" was a roof, 4 walls, and blinds. Tell me what OTC Sunblock is better than that?

I got nasty emails at work from the "Health Coaches" for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 04:39 PM

4,311 posts, read 1,431,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
A close family member has had RA for most of her life (she's in her 70s). And while she does take medication for it, she reduced the amount of medication she takes SUBSTANTIALLY by changing her diet. Even the Arthritis Foundation recognizes the connection between certain foods and RA, specifically the inflammation caused by RA. She now believes that if she had made these changes 40 years ago, she may have avoided medication until much later in life.

Again, not saying that it's possible for everyone to eliminate all medications, I do believe that many, many people would not need medications if they changed their diet and lifestyle.
I knew a young women who had been recently diagnosed with RA, and we used to talk about health a lot. Her doctor did not recommend any lifestyle changes, just immune-suppressing drugs. I asked her if she would consider not eating wheat for a while, and she said no never she loves bread.

She was in terrible pain from RA, and she was very aware of the dangers of immune-suppressing drugs. But would not try a simple diet experiment.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:02 PM

5,930 posts, read 7,077,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I knew a young women who had been recently diagnosed with RA, and we used to talk about health a lot. Her doctor did not recommend any lifestyle changes, just immune-suppressing drugs. I asked her if she would consider not eating wheat for a while, and she said no never she loves bread.

She was in terrible pain from RA, and she was very aware of the dangers of immune-suppressing drugs. But would not try a simple diet experiment.
Unfortunately, that's not unique. I think a lot of people have the attitude that popping a pill is "fixing" their condition, so they don't have to make lifestyle changes.

My FIL has type-2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Takes medication for all three. Still drinks way too much Scotch and eats way too much pizza and cookies. But if you ask him, he's perfectly healthy because all his tests fall within the normal range now. In fact, he's one of the unhealthiest people I know.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:07 PM

34,985 posts, read 22,036,940 times
No specific diet has been proven to improve RA.

Though I can say I did Keto twice and my RA flared massively both times. Healthy grains, lean protein, and lots of veggies keeps it pretty darn quiet, didn't lower my meds thought because my psoriasis wasn't being suppressed enough. I tried no night shades and all that, it did nothing.

But my diet has always been primarily whole foods, and not much processed no matter what diet I'm trying.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No specific diet has been proven to improve RA.

Though I can say I did Keto twice and my RA flared massively both times. Healthy grains, lean protein, and lots of veggies keeps it pretty darn quiet, didn't lower my meds thought because my psoriasis wasn't being suppressed enough. I tried no night shades and all that, it did nothing.

But my diet has always been primarily whole foods, and not much processed no matter what diet I'm trying.
Avoiding processed food is good, but it is possible to be allergic or sensitive to healthy food. So it can be worth experimenting.

I was so desperate to get rid of an allergy I avoided gluten for a year. It made no difference.

I tried avoiding all kinds of things, but it didn't matter.

For me, the only thing that seems to matter is spine mechanics. I get very allergic if my spine is out of balance. I also get bad fibromyalgia and psoriasis.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM

34,985 posts, read 22,036,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Avoiding processed food is good, but it is possible to be allergic or sensitive to healthy food. So it can be worth experimenting.

I was so desperate to get rid of an allergy I avoided gluten for a year. It made no difference.

I tried avoiding all kinds of things, but it didn't matter.

For me, the only thing that seems to matter is spine mechanics. I get very allergic if my spine is out of balance. I also get bad fibromyalgia and psoriasis.

I don't believe in experimenting when a perfectly good test is available. I've been allergy tested and I'm allergic to nothing - thank gawd, I hate having limits to what food I can eat.

I was going to a great chiropractor, and it help my back ache, nothing for the psoriasis.

Right now my fibro is all but gone and I feel tons better. Got hit with RA (psoriatic RA) and FM at the same time, and literally, I could barely walk.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I don't believe in experimenting when a perfectly good test is available. I've been allergy tested and I'm allergic to nothing - thank gawd, I hate having limits to what food I can eat.

I was going to a great chiropractor, and it help my back ache, nothing for the psoriasis.

Right now my fibro is all but gone and I feel tons better. Got hit with RA (psoriatic RA) and FM at the same time, and literally, I could barely walk.
I had terrible psoriasis on my head (at least it was invisible since it was under my hair) and I got rid of it 100% just by correcting my upper neck. Now I just have it slightly on my elbows, but only if my center spine is off.

I get horrendous allergies from spine problems. Gone in an instant as soon as I correct the spine problem. Fibromyalgia also -- completely gone after spine corrections.

Have been experimenting with this for about 30 years. So no, it can't be published in a scientific journal, but it sure has saved my quality of life.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:33 PM

7,130 posts, read 3,961,152 times
What I would really like to see is a stop to all these endless TV Ads pushing this drug, that drug, and asking your doctor if this is right for YOU. DZ, GT, bla, bla, condition or disease? Who the H knows what these code words even are???? Happy, smiling people using these drugs walking in fields, around puppies, and little children. Then listening to a laundry list of adverse reactions, including suicide and death, to this "right for you medication".

Holiday Season is the only respite against all this. Over-medicated society? Watch these TV ads and they will confirm America is an over-medicated society.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What I would really like to see is a stop to all these endless TV Ads pushing this drug, that drug, and asking your doctor if this is right for YOU. DZ, GT, bla, bla, condition or disease? Who the H knows what these code words even are???? Happy, smiling people using these drugs walking in fields, around puppies, and little children. Then listening to a laundry list of adverse reactions, including suicide and death, to this "right for you medication".

Holiday Season is the only respite against all this. Over-medicated society? Watch these TV ads and they will confirm America is an over-medicated society.
Those ads could actually be seen as kind of funny, in a tragic way.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Allergy tests won't tell you if you are bothered by gluten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness