Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 08:15 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
People have been trained to ignore those long lists of horrible side effects. Their MD assures them the side effects are very rare, and that they are mostly imagined anyway.
I have never heard one MD say such a thing, certainly not to me.. And the list of side effects/adverse effects on those advertised drugs is what I mainly notice when I see one of thosr TV ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 08:30 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I have never heard one MD say such a thing, certainly not to me.. And the list of side effects/adverse effects on those advertised drugs is what I mainly notice when I see one of thosr TV ads.
I wonder how many people watch TV ads anymore, with the trend to ditch cable and get services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, or recording shows to watch later. I haven't watched live TV in ages. I know my grown children have never bought cable so they don't watch live TV with commercials either.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I went to lunch with a friend. After the meal, she pulled out a pill box and popped about four different pills. I didn't ask what they were for. The other day, I went to visit a friend. As soon as I walked in, I saw pill containers everywhere. What pills are you taking? Beta blockers and anti-depressants, he said. It seems everyone I know is popping prescription drugs. Pills for heart problems. Pills to lower cholesterol. Pills for erectile disorders. Pills for menopause. And lots and lots of pills for depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders.

What's happening to us? Are we buying into big pharma? Making drug companies rich? Do we really need to take all these drugs? Are we a bunch of sickos? What's going on?
I would simply say that we are surrounded by a variety of culprits concerning America's mental and physical health and general well being. Not to be overlooked are the 'poisons' in our water supply as well as the manipulation of the foods we eat.

There are a plethora of online articles pertaining to the cause-and-effect consequences due to the consumption of tainted water and the American food supply from corporate farming. We may very well be receiving "medication" without realizing it which prompts us to seek traditional medical care and advice.

Could be and unbeknownst to us, that there is a reason we often seek and need "pharmaceutical supplements"...just a thought. And btw, I have no idea about solutions for any of it, I'm just not that clever.

Two different views

School Food, GMOs and CAFOs
Safe & Healthy School Food Coalition/NYC

GMOs Impact on Gut and Mental Health

GMOs Impact on Gut and Mental Health | School Food, GMOs and CAFOs

American Farmers Say They Feed The World, But Do They?

And this is why the words "feed the world" grate on the nerves of people who believe that large-scale, technology-driven agriculture is bad for the environment and often bad for people.

read:https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ld-but-do-they

Old 06-06-2018, 10:59 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I wonder how many people watch TV ads anymore, with the trend to ditch cable and get services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, or recording shows to watch later. I haven't watched live TV in ages. I know my grown children have never bought cable so they don't watch live TV with commercials either.
That's true! Wonder if those ads are playing to a small audience?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You can be sensitive to things without being truly allergic. And it's not always gluten. Sometimes it's soy (which is in EVERYTHING), dairy, etc. There are tests for these things, or you can do elimination diets to find what things you are sensitive too.

On another note, I have no gluten issues either. But I've had 2 traditional medicine docs (gastroenterologist and a general practitioner) both tell me that no one should eat gluten. The gastro was particularly passionate about it. He said it basically has no nutritive value and is tough for our bodies to process.
Many of the gluten free alternative products are actually worse for you. Gluten is a binding agent. It really isn’t there to provide nutrition. So if they have to find something else to hold something together, it often gets more sugar, for example. How is eating more sugar helpful. If you eat naturally gluten free items, fine, but substituting just because is likely to cause another set of problems.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Well me too, no problems with gluten. Everyone has different things to figure out and try.

I do definitely suspect car accidents and neck injuries as a common cause of fibromyalgia, and other autoimmune disorders. The connection between neck trauma and fibromyalgia is actually well known. And it definitely was the cause in my case. But I only recently figured out the connection with allergies and psoriasis.
NO there is not a "well known" connection between neck trauma and fibromyalgia except among attorneys trying to increase settlements after car accidents...

The idea that neck injuries could be the cause of other autoimmune disorders is just silly...

Old 06-06-2018, 05:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
NO there is not a "well known" connection between neck trauma and fibromyalgia except among attorneys trying to increase settlements after car accidents...

The idea that neck injuries could be the cause of other autoimmune disorders is just silly...
The first brochure that was given to me at a FM/CFS Support group was put out by the Arthritis Foundation on FM and clearly it is said emotional trauma, physical trauma and other issues...so I guess Arthritis Foundation doesn't know what they are talking about...

Old 06-06-2018, 10:05 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,418,723 times
Very little mainstream medical research has been done on fibromyalgia. For a long time they denied it existed. When MDs can't figure out the cause of a patient's suffering, they assume the patient is imagining it.

Still the connection between FMS and trauma is well known and obvious. Especially for those of us who experienced it directly.

It is very sad that there is so much close-mindedness. If chiropractors believe something, MDs have to deny it, no matter how much sense it makes.

I am going to start asking people who have RA, MS, IBS, etc., if they had a neck injury. Hypertension also seems to be related to upper cervical problems.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Very little mainstream medical research has been done on fibromyalgia. For a long time they denied it existed. When MDs can't figure out the cause of a patient's suffering, they assume the patient is imagining it.

Still the connection between FMS and trauma is well known and obvious. Especially for those of us who experienced it directly.

It is very sad that there is so much close-mindedness. If chiropractors believe something, MDs have to deny it, no matter how much sense it makes.

I am going to start asking people who have RA, MS, IBS, etc., if they had a neck injury. Hypertension also seems to be related to upper cervical problems.
I have a creaky crackling neck and I have to move it a lot or it gets good and stiff. And I can't hold my neck in one position too long as it will start to pain.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:36 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:

If you ask me (and I don't care if nobody does, lol) all of those originate in the gut. Even fibromyalgia, they call it a metabolic disorder of some kind but no one knows. RA--so often is caused by food intolerances. Same with IBS. Change the diet and it can go away. MS, I don't know, but it could be.

I've known plenty of people with RA and they never had a neck injury but they turned out to have a food intolerance to something they were eating all the time. We won't figure it out here. If the researchers haven't figured it out yet, neither can we. All we can do is guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness