U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:47 AM

1,934 posts, read 3,498,592 times

Advertisements

There are many people alive today given the advances in medicine - meaning they often need to take some kind of special medication for the rest of their lives.

What gets me are the millions hooked on prescription opiates at the same time medical marijuana is seen as inherently evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM

2,164 posts, read 3,467,990 times
It's the advertising. Watch the network news in the evening,
any channel. What do you see? A few minutes of 'news', interrupted by
long commercials for prescription drugs, featuring ecstatic-looking
actors flitting blissfully around sunny landscapes. Then a caption
near the bottom of the screen: "See our ad in Modern Drivel Magazine".
Yeah, like I'm gonna go out and buy a magazine to see more of this crap.

I have noticed, though, in magazines that I already own, that the second
page of the drug ad, where the fine print about potential side affects is,
is positively frightening. I had considered going to an allergist about 10
years ago to ask for the latest allergy wonder-drug, but scared myself out of
it by reading the fine print in the ad. I already _had_ all of the less severe
symptoms that they mentioned as potential side effects, and I certainly didn't
want any of the more serious ones.

These pills are making money for big pharm., so that's all there is to it.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:09 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,329,013 times
I have quite a few friends that take all kinds of pills for one ailment or another. It is my belief that if people exercised more, ate less junk and meat and centered their meals on vegetables and lean protein, didn't drink alcohol or do drugs and squared away their personal lives, they would not need many of their meds. Of course some people have to take medication, but we, as a nation are over medicated.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,909,614 times
My first thought when I saw this thread----Does a bear ***** in the woods???

Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,936,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
My first thought when I saw this thread----Does a bear ***** in the woods???
Not if he is combining several meds that give him constipation.

PS I am still struggling with the fact that the four-letter word I think you meant has FIVE asterisks in your post

Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Not if he is combining several meds that give him constipation.

PS I am still struggling with the fact that the four-letter word I think you meant has FIVE asterisks in your post
Yeah, "I" know it has five asterisks...but that is what "they" put in. I used an exclamation point but I guess that wasn't suitable. But you still got the point. The use of so many medications, in my opinion, is like cattle following each other off a cliff.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 PM

7,771 posts, read 17,238,668 times
IMO, Americans as a scoiety have been thoroughly conditioned ( brainwashed ) by big pharma, the FDA, and the AMA to surrender their health care to drugs and doctors. The message is: Don't think for yourself, don't use common sense, don't trust anyone regarding health issues who is not a doctor, especially someone you know who successfully uses cinnamon to control her diabetes. What could she possibly know, she's not a doctor?

If you really think about it, doctors have very little to do with health building and maintenance. Their focus is treating disease. Why would you go to a disease treater to build your health? If you think about it, a drug doesn't cure the problem either. It merely MASKS the symptoms of a disease, lulling a person into believing they have cured their disease, when in fact, the CAUSE of the disease has never been addressed.

IMO, at least 90% of the drugs ( not all drugs ) used in this country are not doing a damn thing to make people healthier, and in many cases are actually making people sicker than they were before they started using the drug.

blessings....Franco

Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,447,688 times
Sometimes I think we're all becoming a bunch of robots mindlessly doing what big corporations have programmed us to do. They tell us they are making our lives easier, but are they? One pill takes you up and another one brings you down.

Does anyone remember "The Brave New World" (1932) by Aldous Huxley? The government made a drug called Soma available to the general population. The drug made people complacent, easier to deal with, and less troublesome.

"The world the novel describes is a utopia, albeit an ironic one: humanity is carefree, healthy and technologically advanced. Warfare and poverty have been eliminated and everyone is permanently happy due to government-provided stimulation. The irony is that all of these things have been achieved by eliminating many things that humans consider to be central to their identity — family, culture, art, literature, science, religion, and philosophy. It is also a hedonistic society, deriving pleasure from promiscuous sex and drug use, especially the use of soma, a powerful drug taken to escape pain and bad memories through hallucinatory fantasies. Additionally, stability has been achieved and is maintained via deliberately engineered and rigidly enforced social stratification." --- quoted from Wikipedia.

Greenie

Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
IMO, Americans as a scoiety have been thoroughly conditioned ( brainwashed ) by big pharma, the FDA, and the AMA to surrender their health care to drugs and doctors. The message is: Don't think for yourself, don't use common sense, don't trust anyone regarding health issues who is not a doctor, especially someone you know who successfully uses cinnamon to control her diabetes. What could she possibly know, she's not a doctor?

If you really think about it, doctors have very little to do with health building and maintenance. Their focus is treating disease. Why would you go to a disease treater to build your health? If you think about it, a drug doesn't cure the problem either. It merely MASKS the symptoms of a disease, lulling a person into believing they have cured their disease, when in fact, the CAUSE of the disease has never been addressed.

IMO, at least 90% of the drugs ( not all drugs ) used in this country are not doing a damn thing to make people healthier, and in many cases are actually making people sicker than they were before they started using the drug.

blessings....Franco
Don't even get me started with the FDA, Big Pharma, and the AMA. These are all run by and for the Government. It's a big money making machine. A scam! Yes, some drugs do save lives. Yes, many more drugs ruin lives!! Just my personal opinion!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:51 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,368,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I went to lunch with a friend. After the meal, she pulled out a pill box and popped about four different pills. I didn't ask what they were for.
Maybe they were vitamins. The only pills I take are vitamins (GNC's Mega Man Active, Fish Oil and Glucosamine w/chondroitin). I try to never, EVER take medicinal pills. Pills usually just mask the true health problem and only treat the symptoms of the ailment instead of curing it.

One good thing about people taking so many (non vitamin) pills is that at least they are visiting their doctors regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness