U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:47 PM

27,383 posts, read 29,939,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A friend I don't see much these days, but I've heard her stories on the diabetes she deals with and all the different drugs she's tried...and it's in her family the diabetes, but at a point she got took control, took off a good amount of weight and eating very strict from a book she purchased and was at her best. I don't know where she is now but hopefully doing OK with the food intakes.
Food intake makes a huge difference. Most diabetes is reversible with what we call a "strict" diet. The funny thing is, today's "strict" diet is what people ate all the time 50 to 100 years ago when there were fewer sedentary jobs, we didn't eat huge slabs of meat for every meal, processed foods were rare, and portions for just about everything we ate were smaller.

The good news is I think at least some people are getting it. An acquaintance of mine was talking about how she was diagnosed with diabetes recently and how the doctor encouraged her to make major dietary changes before taking the meds because of the side effects of the meds and the fact that the diet was just the healthier way to go overall. This woman got serious and went to some classes about reforming her diet and had lost some weight last I heard. She really was motivated because she didn't want to go on meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 04:55 PM

1,419 posts, read 760,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If the theory is that drug companies can dictate to people directly what to take for x,y,z condition, then doctors are superfluous.
Similar thing here, my insurance company is trying to dictate to my doctor what I can and cannot take (no, it's not an opiod, it's not expensive and there is a generic for it). Why would someone at an insurance company think they know more about me than my doctor?

Old 06-11-2018, 04:58 PM

26,422 posts, read 9,899,258 times
Pharma and insurance rule!!!!

Old 06-11-2018, 05:31 PM

35,115 posts, read 22,130,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What I really do not understand is the mindset that once on a drug then on a drug for the rest of your natural life; from statins to BP to anti-depressants. You are NEVER cured for any condition, exception maybe being anti-biotics. Why NOT? All of these conditions are solely genetic in nature? Feeding the beast of Big Pharms, and doctors, and lining their pockets with repeat customers.

Well, that's all well and fine if you have the cures to some chronic conditions. Do you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness