U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 PM

38 posts, read 146,053 times

Advertisements

Surprisingly impressive comments in this thread, showing that there is hope.

Prescription drug use is way out of control. Our medical model in this country is profit based, unlike most other developed countries. We assume that the rest of the world pays large amounts of money for health care when most actually get it for free (payed by the government). Their doctors are paid by how much they keep you out of the hospital, as opposed to our system. This isn't utopia, it's called the rest of the world.

Most of our prescription drugs don't cure problems, which should make you wonder. You take something for blood pressure and you're on it for life. There's no cure, you're just taking something to mask symptoms. (Of course in some cases medications actually help and prolong life.)

The worst case of this is with children. It's popular now to drug your kids. If they're out of control, they have ADD or whatnot. Well I have another diagnosis -- they're kids! They're not suppose to be submissive sheep easily programmed into the production-consumption culture; wear a tight suit and do what you're told. If a person can't handle kids being kids, they shouldn't be having them, and shouldn't be turning them into zombies so that they can ignore them and have both parents working full-time to sustain their materialistic lifestyle.

That's a little flashy sounding, but regardless of our opinions, kids are being way too over-medicated. And it's just not possible that all of the sudden, 1 out of 3 children are affected with mental imbalances where they need medication. The pharmaceutical industry may like that idea, and parents may like that idea, but it's a load of poo. People need to stand up and break this machine because it's out of control. But I guess everyone is too medicated to put up a fight anymore.

Many natural substances are down-played because they're cheap and un-copyrighted, and in many cases easily produced by the individual. No profits there. A controversial one, as mentioned earlier in the thread, is marijuana. It's non-toxic and effectively treats an array of conditions. It's easily grown. But that's illegal, although it's legal to take the synthetic prescription form Marinol because it's incorporated into the industrial complex. Grow the plant that produces the substance and you're thrown in jail. You've got to pause and wonder on what kind of mess we've got ourselves into.

Last edited by Yum Yum; 12-31-2007 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,440,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum Yum View Post
The worst case of this is with children. It's popular now to drug your kids. If they're out of control, they have ADD or whatnot. Well I have another diagnosis -- they're kids!
Giving medication to kids for mood disorders is especially frightening. Their brains and bodies are still developing! For all we know, their wacky behavior has to do with all the corn syrup they drink and eat and the computer games they play all day long....

Old 12-31-2007, 01:38 PM

7,771 posts, read 17,223,779 times
Yum Yum wrote:
It's popular now to drug your kids. If they're out of control, they have ADD or whatnot. Well I have another diagnosis -- they're kids! They're not suppose to be submissive sheep easily programmed into the production-consumption culture; wear a tight suit and do what you're told. If a person can't handle kids being kids, they shouldn't be having them, and shouldn't be turning them into zombies so that they can ignore them and have both parents working full-time to sustain their materialistic lifestyle.
In additon to the quoted text, I agree with your post in its entirety. As you wrote, the behaviours associated with ADD have always been part of being a kid. I would add that some genius conveniently grouped these behaviours into a disease and called it ADD. Now that ADD has been discovered, a drug can be sold to treat it. The same can be said for just about any so-called disease.

Green Machine wrote:
Giving medication to kids for mood disorders is especially frightening. Their brains and bodies are still developing! For all we know, their wacky behavior has to do with all the corn syrup they drink and eat and the computer games they play all day long....
These people have CSD ( Corn Syrup Disease ) and they should ask their doctors about the new miracle drug called CorNaMor. Side effects may include vomiting, headaches, shortness of breath, choking, and various gastrointestinal discomforts. If you are worried about these side effects, perhaps you could just use common sense and avoid using products containing corn syrup. But, we'd rather have your money, so buy our drug anyway, even if it kills you.

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-31-2007 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 01:46 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,827,086 times
I wanted to try that new drug doctors give you, when all else fails, it's called "Damitall"

Old 12-31-2007, 02:52 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,932,674 times
I see a lot of angst directed at the FDA, Big Pharma, the AMA, and doctors in general. Certainly some of it may be justified, but if you really want to play the blame-game, look in the mirror. The person most responsible for overmedication is YOU!

Every person coming to me a few years ago wanting to lose weight, was begging for Phen-Phen. When I advocated healthy natural approaches such as diet and exercise, they wanted a short-cut. Now many are dead from primary pulmonary hypertension.

Most parents that bring their kids in with a self-limiting viral cough absolutely insist upon walking out with a prescription for an antibiotic, which won't treat the virus AND exposes the child unnecessarily to side effects. When one doctor says, "No!" appropriately, the patient goes down the street to Doctor-shop.

How about the consumer who places costs above quality and service? Send away to a mail-order house 3000 miles away, then ***** because their is no pharmacist to spend some personal counseling time with you. Who made the decision to cut out one of the few people educated and trained to protect you? YOU did.

Let's accelerate this further and just skip the diagnosis altogether! Get on the internet
and order something without ever seeing a physician. Congratulations, you have now skipped the quality control mandated by the FDA and the physician's counsel. You may be taking powdered *** testicles for all you know. I can cite you numerous medical references on deaths secondary to adulterated medications.

As for all the talk about Big Pharma brainwashing you into taking meds, of course they try. So does every other business selling a product. However, it's YOUR brain YOU let them wash!

And as for doctors not promoting preventative medicine, YOU are responsible for finding one that will, AND there are plenty of them out there. Some of my best students are Family Practitioners whose primary focus is keeping you healthy. If you see them routinely to develop and monitor a "Wellness Program", you will have an educated partner that cares about you. If you only call them when you have a "disease", then you are likely to perceive them as a "disease treater". And another thing, we teach the value of alternative medicine AND a good physician listens to their patient when they report a particular natural therapy helps.

So when you are done ranting against the conspiracy of Big Pharma, the FDA and others, and there is a glimmer of self-responsibility, consider the cliche: We have met the enemy and it is YOU!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:24 PM
miu

17,454 posts, read 35,583,355 times
I don't ever want to have to be a pill popper. My old boyfriend's parents were big prescription pill poppers. Fortunately, no one in my family is on any prescription pills. When my boyfriend was a child he spent a year on some drug for his ADD, but hated the way it made him feel, so he stopped taking it. He's not on any medication now.

I know a woman that suffers from anxiety attacks and most of the time will go for a long brisk walk to recover from it. The only time she takes medication for it is if it strikes late at night when she doesn't feel safe walking outside by herself.

I'd rather find natural alternatives to a condition if possible first before getting a pill for it. Even with my old spayed female pug dog, when she suffered from urinary incontinence, once I found out the vet was ready to prescribe her doses of human estrogen for her condition, I instead would have her drink soy milk. And it worked every time for clearing up her problem.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:25 PM

7,771 posts, read 17,223,779 times
GLS

I agree that the ultimate decision rests with the consumer, and that's why I personally don't use pharmaceuticals and avoid asking my doctor about anything. ( no MDs' for me please! I prefer the services of Naturopaths, Osteopaths, Chirporactors, Acupuncturists, etc becasue these people are trained to heal the body, not merely treat symptoms with drugs. I'm not saying that's ALL that MDs do, but they do waaaay too much of it becasue they have surrendered too much of their power to big pharma. )

Those people coming to you for Phen Phen are simply carrying out the orders they've been given by watching their TVs. They are being the good consumers that big pharma trained them to be. I am not condoning their behaviour.

I would venture a guess that powdered *** testicles is far less harmless than many highly promoted, and widely prescribed medications. I would venture another guess that deaths resulting form adulterated medications are a fraction of the deaths resulting from improperly prescribed medications.

Regarding the brainwashing issue...I agree that most businesses are also guilty of brainwashing ( advertising ), but few go to the extent that the drug companies do, and few businesses have the blessing of organizations as powerful and misleading as the AMA and the FDA.

I'm glad to hear that you are one of the few who teaches the value of alternative medicine and focus on keeping your patients healthy. My hat is off to you! You seem like the kind of person I would like to have as my MD if I ever choose one to be my doctor.

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-31-2007 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 03:40 PM

2,408 posts, read 9,958,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Hmm, sugar and computer games causing wacky behavior? Nah, couldn't be!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:06 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,932,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
GLS

I agree that the ultimate decision rests with the consumer, and that's why I personally don't use pharmaceuticals and avoid asking my doctor about anything. ( no MDs' for me please! I prefer the services of Naturopaths, Osteopaths, Chirporactors, Acupuncturists, etc becasue these people are trained to heal the body, not merely treat symptoms with drugs. I'm not saying that's ALL that MDs do, but they do waaaay too much of it becasue they have surrendered too much of their power to big pharma. )

Those people coming to you for Phen Phen are simply carrying out the orders they've been given by watching their TVs. They are being the good consumers that big pharma trained them to be. I am not condoning their behaviour.

I would venture a guess that powdered *** testicles is far less harmless than many highly promoted, and widely prescribed medications. I would venture another guess that deaths resulting form adulterated medications are a fraction of the deaths resulting from improperly prescribed medications.

Regarding the brainwashing issue...I agree that most businesses are also guilty of brainwashing ( advertising ), but few go to the extent that the drug companies do, and few businesses have the blessing of organizations as powerful and misleading as the AMA and the FDA.

I'm glad to hear that you are one of the few who teaches the value of alternative medicine and focus on keeping your patients healthy. My hat is off to you! You seem like the kind of person I would like to have as my MD if I ever choose one to be my doctor.

blessings...Franco
Very valid points. Thank you for the compliment.

I think you may be interested in the following unexpected, but pleasant surprise in your post. I never mentioned "MDs". I intentionally used the terms "doctor" and "physician" to include some of the practitioners you mentioned. In fact, one of the facilities I consult with has a Doctor of Osteopathy as the Medical Director. We work very closely together to try to minimize inappropriate prescribing.

My central theme remains: Make your own decisions about your health, but be cautious to avoid making it based upon misinformation, including some of the unfounded assertions and invalidated data in this forum. A trusted, competent "physician" is the second most important person in helping you make an informed, beneficial risk-to-benefit decision, if non-drug therapies have failed. The most important person is YOU. Have a Healthy New Year.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:11 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,960,915 times
We are a nation of gotta have it quick, fast, & easy. That's why most look for a "pill" to cure ailments instead of eating right and excercising....its too much "work" for people.

Me, I hate to take any kind of pills. I'm not stupid though, I'll goto the doctor and take anti-biotics if I'm deathly sick (along w/the wife's homeade chicken soup) but maybe that happens once a year or so....

Some people I know just pop Aleve, Advil, you name it like its going out of style.....I can't believe this is good for the human body in the long term...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness