U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,013,797 times

Advertisements

Oh I am one that hates to take medications of any kind. I have to be really sick to take them. Regularly I tell my doctor no when they try to prescribe pain meds, I refuse to take them, they make me feel weird!

I have gotten a bit better with antibiotics, but not much. My doctor would get so frustrated with me because she said if I didn't take the meds, I would not get better! SHe retired on me.

I went to a new doctor who decided on the very first visit that I had high blood pressure and prescribed me two meds. I went to the pharmacy and bought a very good blood pressure monitor, cut out the stress in my life and watched my bp fall to a more normal range.

Now if I could only do that with my cholosteral. For three years I tried exercise and diet, to no avail. It was steadily getting worse. I don't like to take meds, especially the ones that can mess with your liver, but anyone have any valid alternatives for me? I have a high risk since my mom has already had a heart attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 PM

379 posts, read 524,405 times
Default How much will we allow? Its not the medication.

You are all very lucky to be blessed with your health. Some people are not so lucky.

Yes, the american people take more medications then they should. However, there are people out there who truly need these medications. Those who are in severe pain, severe depression, even children with ADHD, and many more conditions. Have you ever seen a child with ADHD so bad its impossible to sit still for 30 seconds, a child who has horrifying fits of rage one min and fits of crying the next because they literally cannot control themselves? Should we do nothing for these people? Tell them "sorry, u will just have to deal with the pain?"or "Depression is all in your head! You need to get out more." How about the parents of the child with ADHD? "your kid cant come to school anymore. They don't fit into the nice little mold we have carved out for all the NORMAL children." Medications change the quality of these peoples lives.

I am sure yall are willing to volunteer your time to help the doctors weed out the ones who are lying or who really don't need medicine? I doubt the insurance companies are going to pay the doctors for an additional 30 seconds of time. Hmmm, insurance companies are pretty reasonable, right? Yeah. I wonder who lets them get away with telling doctors how much time they can spend with their patients? Is 5-7 min an appropriate amount of time to assess, diagnose, teach and treat any patient?

Are the chronic pain patients the ones who are addicted to opiates and ruining American lives? Not according to the publishing's I have read. It is the Soccer Mom next door to you that cant live without her 15-20 Vicoden a day. How is she to get through all the stress of having her hair and nails done and the constant demands of the PTA without her fix? How about the thugs and gangs who are responsible for the majority of the pushing in the united states? Do you think they are doing it out of concern for Soccer Mom? Do you think they care if our children are buying instead of her? How much are we doing to stop it? Well one thing we are doing is paying the fda to seriously and closely monitor the pain patients who actually have prescriptions. I am sure thats where most of the drugs are coming from anyway.

Hmmmmm, do we really think that our doctors are out to fill up the hospitals? People let me tell you as a nurse how overcrowded the hospitals in our country are! Emergency Rooms are actually having to post what constitutes a real emergency and turn others away. They are being completely over run with people not wanting to pay for medical care (hmmm, another thing people are taking advantage of...not only americans. not only legal americans anyway). Do we think doctors and nurses are working 12-18-24 hour shifts 6-7 days a week without so much as a 15 min lunch break out of greed? Maybe some of them.

I agree, the drug companies are COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS! But the doctors offices and hospitals let them come in and pitch their drugs, they are allowed to buy lunch for everyone as long as they listen to the reps pushing their bigger and better almost identical medication. The doctors are prescribing it. The hospitals are carrying it. We are buying it. Where are the law makers who are letting this happen? Who is letting these companies advertise their medications on TV? In magazines? Radio? Oh, we are right here.

Its part of american culture to want immediate gratification. Why work for something u can fix with a pill. The drug companies are going to continue pushing their product as long as we allow them to. The insurance companies are going to tell our physicians how much time to spend with patients until we put a stop to it. Criminals are going to sell drugs until we show them it won't be tolerated.

Its not about the medication. There are those who need it.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 AM

942 posts, read 1,111,496 times
I have become very uncomfortable with doctors since I moved to Portland, Oregon, I noticed almost at once I was being prescribed medications much more so than back east. What has scared me the most is being prescribed pills even before Lab work was processed to check for the condition I was being prescribed pills for. I have been on so many antibiotics in Portland I know these pills must at some point lower the bodies ability to fight off infections. I am very concerned about sitting in the doctors office and at every visit there are as many as 5 to 6 pharmaceutical salesmans waiting to see the doctors. I think that really has turned me off seeing that and watching them socialize with each other while I wait for my appt. I feel like I cannot go to the doctor and just talk about my health without some new pill being pushed on me. I say pay close attention to your health. People are finding they have to be in charge of their own health and how it is treated. I completely believe America is way over medicated and going broke trying to pay for all these pills.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,105,720 times
While some people do need some medications, YES!!!!! We are overmedicating ourselves as a nation!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM

76 posts, read 242,551 times
yes! way over medicated! years ago, if you went to the doctor with high blood pressure, your physician would scold you about your poor eating habits, talk to you about exercise, and better nutrition, and then follow up to see if that was enough to drop the blood pressure. now.. its pills pills pills.
many people, even a few on this board, seem to think that pills are the only answer! even for something like diabetes.. do these people usually get better? no.. not usually, because they only rely on the pills and make no other changes. one of the biggest challenges in the medical prof is to try and show people that their symptoms are not the problem, but are a manifestation of their problem. people think when there is no pain, there is no problem... so.. with that line of thinking, they also think.. when the pain is gone, so is the probelm.
this reasoning is faulty... and leads to many problems. the diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, etc... are signs of a long standing imbalance that was never adjusted for...
pills have their place, but don't ignore the problem once the pills have taken care of the symptoms. its the same as shutting off the fire alarm, and leaving the fire... the result is the same in your body as it is in the building with the fire.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 AM

379 posts, read 524,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrick View Post
yes! way over medicated! years ago, if you went to the doctor with high blood pressure, your physician would scold you about your poor eating habits, talk to you about exercise, and better nutrition, and then follow up to see if that was enough to drop the blood pressure. now.. its pills pills pills.
many people, even a few on this board, seem to think that pills are the only answer! even for something like diabetes.. do these people usually get better? no.. not usually, because they only rely on the pills and make no other changes. one of the biggest challenges in the medical prof is to try and show people that their symptoms are not the problem, but are a manifestation of their problem. people think when there is no pain, there is no problem... so.. with that line of thinking, they also think.. when the pain is gone, so is the probelm.
this reasoning is faulty... and leads to many problems. the diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, etc... are signs of a long standing imbalance that was never adjusted for...
pills have their place, but don't ignore the problem once the pills have taken care of the symptoms. its the same as shutting off the fire alarm, and leaving the fire... the result is the same in your body as it is in the building with the fire.
I agree with you, I think doctors tend to be afraid to tell it like it is anymore. I don't know how many people I have heard that get really mad when they go to the doctor and don't get antibiotics!!! The NERVE of that doctor to not give you something you don't need. All I am trying to say is there are 2 sides to the story. My baby was sick last november. He had a horrible virus. He couldn't breathe (ever seen a mom who has a kid with breathing problems?), I had him to the doctors office 5 times in 2 weeks. His little throat was so swollen he actually choked in the waiting room and stopped breathing. The doctors seemed to brace themselves before they told me he still didn't need antibiotics. That is not a problem for me, I don't want him to have anything he doesn't need. He is 23 months old and has NEVER been on an antibiotic.
I just wanted them to make sure he was ok.

Anyway, my point is...there are a lot of things in this world that people abuse. Alcohol, illegal drugs, credit, and prescription medication..... u don't have to take it just because it is out there. Take a walk, do some yoga, buy leaner meat. Not all prescription medication is bad. It is the people who are abusing it that are responsible. Yes, that can include the doctors prescribing it and the pharm. pushing it.

Something else to think about. Should a doctor who has sworn to do "no harm" withhold a medication from a patient who needs it? A patient who should have exercised more, should have eaten better, and should not have smoked for 50 years. The doctor should make every attempt to teach but what if the patient doesn't listen? Would the doctor be doing "no harm" at that point? I don't know the answer.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:21 AM

271 posts, read 862,269 times
I was going to type an amazing reply, but first I need to go take some medications to deal with the sadness I felt from reading the previous posts...

Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,177,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I went to lunch with a friend. After the meal, she pulled out a pill box and popped about four different pills. I didn't ask what they were for. The other day, I went to visit a friend. As soon as I walked in, I saw pill containers everywhere. What pills are you taking? Beta blockers and anti-depressants, he said. It seems everyone I know is popping prescription drugs. Pills for heart problems. Pills to lower cholesterol. Pills for erectile disorders. Pills for menopause. And lots and lots of pills for depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders.

What's happening to us? Are we buying into big pharma? Making drug companies rich? Do we really need to take all these drugs? Are we a bunch of sickos? What's going on?
Drifting a bit perhaps, but keeping with the original color of the post. How come you can get a pill for every possible illness and disorder siimply by snapping your fingers. Got hight Blood Pressure? The doctor will practically break a finger trying to write a prescription for it, high cholesteral, depression, anxiety disorder, ADHD, Hemerrhoids? Yep, no problem. But you ask for a diet pill and immediately it's a character flaw. Forget about it. You're on your own now, buddy. They'd rather step over your dead obese body than even CONSIDER writing you a prescription for a diet pill.

The world's gone nuts.

By the way, my 81 year old mother doesn't take anything but an aspirin and is in great shape. Prescriptions will KILL you faster than the illness that they are prescribed for. IMHO

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 PM

67 posts, read 185,959 times
yes, we are over medicated. People love their medicines! And doctors love to write the prescriptions. Can't sleep? Low sex drive? Unhappy? Over eater? We can solve all that. One pill for this and another for that.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 AM

2,766 posts, read 6,613,459 times
To answer the original question I do believe America is over medicated. It's sad how both the pharmaceutical & medical industries have brainwashed so many people into thinking they need to take a pill for every little thing wrong in their lives.

If someone truly needs medication in order to be well and survive there is nothing wrong with that, we have all needed medicine at some point in our lives, but there are plenty of things we are being mislead about in order to put more money in the pockets of the wrong people. Our health is not truly the overall concern anymore.

I strongly believe that there are already cures for diseases, as well as future cures that we will never hear about. Think about it, a cure for any disease that generates billions of dollars in prescriptions isn't likely to ever be introduced, it would mean a huge loss of $$$ for the pharmaceutical industry, no way they will allow it to happen. That's not only sad it's absolutely disgusting.

We live in America though and are lucky to have the freedom to make our own decisions when it comes to our health, and I would hope more people would take it upon themselves to become better educated and informed about their health, physical & mental. Taking a pill for every little thing is nothing more than putting a band-aid over your ailment, there is a root to every problem and while it is sometimes necessary to turn to medicine, it's also important to know what your taking, and to be educated enough to know if your truly doing the right thing for your body.

Be well everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness