U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,072 times

Advertisements

And I'm not gonna get all radical on this, but lets just say I was put on lots of things in high school from doctors who knew nothing about me just based on being in a hospital, including antipsychotics. Well they hurt but now I'm off of them and trying to live a healthy lifestyle- yoga, college field work classes where we do stuff with the environment - but they impacted me, forever I am sure, and while I am getting back into shape I hope, I am heavier than before (weigh 230, used to weigh 175-180 and was fastest in my pe class on the mile run) and can't do all the things I used to. For the record, antipsychotics are the worst I could ever have taken, and the opposite solution to all my problems as my senior year was very difficult to finish on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 AM

7,771 posts, read 17,238,668 times
dw611 You might be interested in reading the article quoted in this post ( click > #49 ) in the Depression: Myth and Reality thread.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 AM

5,273 posts, read 6,687,513 times
Don't get me started!! I hate it when there are people saying their kids are hyperactive (mostly boys)and think they have ADHD.. COME ON! they are little boys who are HIGH ENERGY!!
Or if someone has a problem with their teenager? just medicate them? Come on....
I have some co-workers who constantly ***** that they are so tired and then are on a million pils for sore back or takestrong doses of ibuprofin etc...

Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 AM

It's a good thing this ADHD crap hadn't yet been invented in the late 50's and early 60's. The nuns would have had every boy in my grade school on drugs. We'd all be drug addicts now and even better customers for big pharma. Get em hooked while they're young, and they'll be good customers for life. And when it is time to die naturally, big pharma has drugs to keep us alive as a vegetables until the money runs out. I bet they even have lobbyists working on making death illegal as long as we or our insurance companies have money to pay for drugs.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-15-2008 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-15-2008, 10:30 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,879,780 times
Ok, I've seen some over reaction on a few posts.....
When I say the following I want all to know that this post is NOT about those who have a true medical need for meds. It's about the people who take the meds but don't really need it.

I work right beside a woman who does exactly that. I swear this is true.
She takes a pill for diarrea then turns around and takes one to counteract it.
I think she has taken every anti-drepressant known to man. She takes something to help her wake up in the morning and something to help her sleep. She wears a nicotine patch while she goes on a smoke break. And these are only the ones that I know about.
We tell anyone new in the office to NOT let her know if you were prescribed anything, especially pain medication. She will expect you to give it to her if you don't use it.
She finds it hard to believe that at 46 I take no prescribed medication, she even scoffs at me and says "well aren't you special" blah blah blah. I have yet to turn around and suggest detox for her.
She changed doctors until she could find one that would refill her meds over the phone.

I blame her and her only.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM

In a healthy society this would be an extreme example. Unfortunately, here in the USA, land of the drugged, it's almost normal.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM

5,273 posts, read 6,687,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Ok, I've seen some over reaction on a few posts.....
When I say the following I want all to know that this post is NOT about those who have a true medical need for meds. It's about the people who take the meds but don't really need it.

I work right beside a woman who does exactly that. I swear this is true.
She takes a pill for diarrea then turns around and takes one to counteract it.
I think she has taken every anti-drepressant known to man. She takes something to help her wake up in the morning and something to help her sleep. She wears a nicotine patch while she goes on a smoke break. And these are only the ones that I know about.
We tell anyone new in the office to NOT let her know if you were prescribed anything, especially pain medication. She will expect you to give it to her if you don't use it.
She finds it hard to believe that at 46 I take no prescribed medication, she even scoffs at me and says "well aren't you special" blah blah blah. I have yet to turn around and suggest detox for her.
She changed doctors until she could find one that would refill her meds over the phone.

I blame her and her only.
^5's Grandma!! WOW! I have a friend like yours too! She asked me why I am NOT on anything! (only Synthroid for my thyroid and that is for the rest of my life)....I dont even take Tylenol for headaches! I try yoga or breathing exercises..

You are right! there are many out there overmedicated !!

Redneck you are totally right too!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
Default Why get paid $200,000.

I'm not upset with the prescribing, for serious illness. Is a Doctor worth $200,000 a year if all they can do is write a prescription to treat symptoms. If the cure for everything is to quit smoking, shouldn't I get paid like a doctor than. The Health field is controlled by people who think they are worth a lot. In Mexico I think you could walk in and get a refill on prescription drugs, go on the computer to find the right dose for your weight and eliminate seeing a doctor. A cheap monitoring device will also help a person guide themselves to the right dose. Eliminating millions in unnecessary visits to get a prescription refilled. Doctors are over paid.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 AM

overpaidprescriptionauthr wrote:
The Health field is controlled by people who think they are worth a lot.
The so-called health field is controlled by big pharma and the insurance companies. Unfortunately Doctors are little more than overpaid, brainwashed pawns in a corrupt system that funnels huge sums of money to hospitals, drug companies, and insurance companies. Doctors could provide some actual health care if they broke away from the insurance companies and drug companies and reclaimed their independence. IMO, most doctors have their hearts in the right place, but they've been brainwashed by the drug companies influence on the medical schools. The brainwashing goes so deep that most doctors have no recognition of being brainwashed. They are in complete denial of this situation.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:17 PM

26,632 posts, read 9,956,333 times
Old Post, I know but good discussion.

I was looking for an Ambien post since this med is all over the news the last couple days more so than before (Roseann) and every radio program I hear is talking Ambien...I've never taken it and never would.

On a radio show a few minutes ago a man called in about his mother who was in the hospital after two knee replacements and she could not sleep so asked for a sleep aid and they gave her Ambien and during the night while on this class of drug, she was getting out of bed to go to the bathroom and fell down on both knees, broke open the replaced knees and broke another bone.

Then a man called in and said he drove all the way to a japanese restaurant for some food he was craving, this on Ambien.

While I was in hospital/rehabs thank goodness I had my magnesium for sleep help and then my MD agreed to giving me melatonin for my sleep while in the rehabs. It was part of my evening meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness