U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:11 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,445,098 times

Advertisements

I went to lunch with a friend. After the meal, she pulled out a pill box and popped about four different pills. I didn't ask what they were for. The other day, I went to visit a friend. As soon as I walked in, I saw pill containers everywhere. What pills are you taking? Beta blockers and anti-depressants, he said. It seems everyone I know is popping prescription drugs. Pills for heart problems. Pills to lower cholesterol. Pills for erectile disorders. Pills for menopause. And lots and lots of pills for depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders.

What's happening to us? Are we buying into big pharma? Making drug companies rich? Do we really need to take all these drugs? Are we a bunch of sickos? What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 PM

716 posts, read 1,929,605 times
Its like an epedemic in this country. In the uk the only time people take pills is if they have headaches or need anti biotics or birth control. People rarely have anything, i suppose the fact that thing like this is expensive in the uk plays its part.

But it does strike me as being a bit overboard here in the states. My brother in law who is a pharmacist, says that these drug companies do have cures for most ailments and allergies and possibly cancer but they hold out. Well, doesnt take a genius to work out why

Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 PM

2,408 posts, read 9,961,813 times
I agree. doctors seem to be pushing all kinds of pills (vitamins, minerals, social anxiety medication, medication for bipolar, medication for high blood pressure, beta blockers, cholesterol medication, benzodiazepam, muscle relaxants, hypnotics) gosh ... doctors seem to prescribe whatever pills they can and the insurance companies keep payin' for em.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:56 PM

I find it upsetting. Every person I know is on some pill of some sort.

It's gotten to the point where people think they can't survive without drugs.

Pills seem to be the magical answer to everything.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 PM

Oh, and read this article here in the WSJ:

"In recent years, Medicaid has spent more money on antipsychotic drugs for Americans than on any other class of pharmaceuticals -- including antibiotics, AIDS drugs or medicine to treat high-blood pressure.

"One reason: Nursing homes across the U.S. are giving these drugs to elderly patients to quiet symptoms of Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.

"Nearly 30% of the total nursing-home population is receiving antipsychotic drugs, according to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, known as CMS. In a practice known as "off label" use of prescription drugs, patients can get these powerful medicines whether they are psychotic or not. CMS says nearly 21% of nursing-home patients who don't have a psychosis diagnosis are on antipsychotic drugs."

http://online.wsj.com/public/article..._20080103.html

Old 12-30-2007, 08:39 PM

2,809 posts, read 8,072,840 times
I don't think one prescription pill to treat a specific ailment is "over medicated". I am 53 and take one prescription pill a day, a low dose generic to help keep blood pressure under control. I get a 3 month supply for about $15 so it's not making any big pharmas rich. I am in great health, not overweight, never get sick, eat lots of fruit + veggies, jog or bike ride every day, avoid most junk food, no caffeine, no booze, drink lots of water, what more can I do? I am trying other non-prescription things to lower blood pressure, but none of them have made a big dent in the numbers. Some ailments are genetic and if one pill cuts my risk of heart problems or stroke for hopefully another 30+ years of life, that's the way it goes. Just before Christmas a guy I know at work (who was overweight) died from a sudden stroke, only 48 years old. Stuff like that shakes me up, so I'll keep taking my one pill a day and pay attention to the blood pressure. If someone knows of a sure fire way to lower blood pressure by 10 to 20 points that does not involve taking a prescription, please help me out.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
If someone knows of a sure fire way to lower blood pressure by 10 to 20 points that does not involve taking a prescription, please help me out.
I don't know what your situation is, so don't take offense, but two common causes of high blood pressure are smoking and being overweight.

In your situation, pills may be helpful. (Again, I don't know your situation.)

However, a LOT of people seem to turn to drugs as an easy solution to a problem. Doctors are handing out drugs too willingly, and patients are not questioning their doctors enough. In fact, the drug companies have done such an outstanding job of marketing their products -- note all the commercials on television -- that patients will often request a drug by name from their doctors. More than a third of pharmaceutical companies' resources go into promotion and marketing. Annually, the industry spends nearly twice as much on marketing as it spends on research and development,

Greenie

Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,935,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I find it upsetting. Every person I know is on some pill of some sort. Do we really need to take all these drugs?
Tell your friends status post stroke to stop taking their antihypertensives.
Tell your friends with diabetes to cease taking their oral hypoglycemics.
Tell your friends with a genetic predisposition for hypercholesterolemia to stop taking their lipid lowering agents, and...........

You will have fewer friends.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:33 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,126,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I don't think one prescription pill to treat a specific ailment is "over medicated". I am 53 and take one prescription pill a day, a low dose generic to help keep blood pressure under control. I get a 3 month supply for about $15 so it's not making any big pharmas rich. I am in great health, not overweight, never get sick, eat lots of fruit + veggies, jog or bike ride every day, avoid most junk food, no caffeine, no booze, drink lots of water, what more can I do? I am trying other non-prescription things to lower blood pressure, but none of them have made a big dent in the numbers. Some ailments are genetic and if one pill cuts my risk of heart problems or stroke for hopefully another 30+ years of life, that's the way it goes. Just before Christmas a guy I know at work (who was overweight) died from a sudden stroke, only 48 years old. Stuff like that shakes me up, so I'll keep taking my one pill a day and pay attention to the blood pressure. If someone knows of a sure fire way to lower blood pressure by 10 to 20 points that does not involve taking a prescription, please help me out.
I used to have high b/p. I began meditating, and it went way down like 132/67, and now it is up to 140/90 because I quit meditating. My doctor even told me that it was down due to meditation. I am thinking of returning to the practice. I don't take drugs except antibiotics if needed. Ambian once in a while. A muscle relaxer if I have hurt myself.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:38 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,126,757 times
I agree that people are prone to pop a pill instead of finding a solution. They fear that there is no other solution or that what you are telling them is wrong. For example my friend takes cinnamon to lower her blood sugar since she has diabetes, and it is working for her, but if you tell someone about it, they will not listen. It is almost as if they are saying, "What does she know?" Or, "That is a dangerous way to treat diabetes." Or, "I only do what my doctor tells me to do." My own family is like that, so I have family members on all kinds of drugs. Do they feel good on them, No, but they think it beats the alternative, which they think is death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness