Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:03 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Read the disclosure if you think the flu shot is 100 percent safe. If it doesn't bother you, by all means get the shot. Plenty of people have no problems at all.
Yeah, if you want to pedantic, there is technically a very small risk that goes along with the shot.
Between 1 and 2 people per million will be develop a serious reaction it.

You're more likely to die on the walk to the pharmacy.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Everyone I know has had a reaction to this year's flu shot. My symptom were exhaustion and badly aching thighs (my first sign of the flu) about 18 hours after the shot...lasted about a day and was not fun.
Partner ran a fever of 2 degrees the day after the shot.
Close friend suffered about 3 days of pain and malaise.
In-law in CA had the shot and left the next day for a week's vacation in NYC. She spent the week in bed. She called it the most expensive flu shot in history.

These reactions may not be universal but they are certainly not RARE.

All the people I mentioned have had the "over 65" variant which is a much larger dose to promote a stronger immune response. Perhaps you kiddies will have less trouble.

From now on, IF I choose to take another flu shot, it will be the kiddie variety and only if the mix is significantly different from the year before. (This year's is virtually identical to last year's.)

BTW,
Australia and New Zealand are experiencing a new variant of the H3N2 type A that is not being protected against by the current mix of flu vaccine. The flu always migrates from them across the globe to us in mid Winter.

Three years ago, the flu vaccine was shown by the CDC to be effective in only 9% of the senior population. So this year will likely be another stinker too.
So the joke is the promise that NEXT year will include the new H3N2...oh goody.
The flu vaccine is very often the best version of "locking the barn door after the horse has bolted."

Oh well, somebody is getting rich making the stuff.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:46 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Well duh.

A vaccine primes your own immune system against the flu - by presenting it with flu antigens. The immune system reacts. The next time round it meets that flu (the whole active virus this time) - you're great. That's whats so amazing about vaccines - they are just switching on your own immune system to do the work.

Its not a chemical that fights the flu itself - its not an anti-viral.

Jeesus.
You very own immune system can do the same thing. Take chicken pox. I was exposed to chicken pox when my kids, and kids around them, had it. Since I had had chicken pox myself, my OWN immune system kicked in so I did not get it again. Same for Measles, and probably the same being exposed to the flu, including different strains, over DECADES.

I will try to find a link on a story. A woman wrote and asked why she came down with the flu (no flu shot) and her 84 year old mother (no flu shot) did not when they both were on a plane together. This was on a medical site. The answer was that probably because her mother had lived longer than she and had been exposed to that flu strain and had her own antibodies to it. Dr. Jenny????? lol

Do you think the ONLY way for your body to create antibodies is from vaccines? It just applies to measles, mumps, chicken pox, and not the flu? If that is true, how did the human race ever survive the flu pandemic of 1918 when there weren't vax for it?

Oh, I forgot. It could be ME who dies from it. That is how big PHARM makes $$$$$$.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Everyone I know has had a reaction to this year's flu shot. My symptom were exhaustion and badly aching thighs (my first sign of the flu) about 18 hours after the shot...lasted about a day and was not fun.
Partner ran a fever of 2 degrees the day after the shot.
Close friend suffered about 3 days of pain and malaise.
In-law in CA had the shot and left the next day for a week's vacation in NYC. She spent the week in bed. She called it the most expensive flu shot in history.

These reactions may not be universal but they are certainly not RARE.

All the people I mentioned have had the "over 65" variant which is a much larger dose to promote a stronger immune response. Perhaps you kiddies will have less trouble.

From now on, IF I choose to take another flu shot, it will be the kiddie variety and only if the mix is significantly different from the year before. (This year's is virtually identical to last year's.)

BTW,
Australia and New Zealand are experiencing a new variant of the H3N2 type A that is not being protected against by the current mix of flu vaccine. The flu always migrates from them across the globe to us in mid Winter.

Three years ago, the flu vaccine was shown by the CDC to be effective in only 9% of the senior population. So this year will likely be another stinker too.
So the joke is the promise that NEXT year will include the new H3N2...oh goody.
The flu vaccine is very often the best version of "locking the barn door after the horse has bolted."

Oh well, somebody is getting rich making the stuff.

I don't know why systemic flu shot reactions are pretty much ignored except by those who have them.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
No doubt about it.
Even polio before Salk and Sabin: 90 to 95% of the people contracted polio and had no symptoms but developed antibodies and immunity. They never knew they had the disease.

Here's the dilly for those who want to muse:
A large study was done on families who had not been affected by Plague in the 13th and 14th centuries. It was done by examination of old European census and cemetery records. Some families were found to be nearly immune to it. Scroll on centuries and it was found that these same families showed a remarkable resistance to the H1N1 Spanish Flu of 1918-1919, the biggest killer in history (100 Million dead.)
Now hold onto your hats...the same European family lines seem to be unable to contract HIV.

If someone can connect these dots with cause and effect there's got to be a Nobel Prize in it for him.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:55 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I actually wasn't aware of this being in the news, thanks. However, I was very perturbed indeed when Gardasil, which was a very new drug, was proposed to be used on all girls. That seems wildly risky to me, and almost the basis for a disaster movie.

I stopped getting flu shots ages ago, when I realized that I never got the flu.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Yeah, if you want to pedantic, there is technically a very small risk that goes along with the shot.
Between 1 and 2 people per million will be develop a serious reaction it.

You're more likely to die on the walk to the pharmacy.
Technically there is only a very small risk of complications if you get the flu. People can choose which risk makes more sense to them. Some prefer the risk from the vaccine, others prefer the risks that come with the flu. Also, the flu vaccine is supposedly only around 60% effective so even if you get the vaccine, you may still get the flu.

I don't get flu vaccines. I haven't had the flu in over 30 years. If I get the flu then I get the flu and I will take elderberry syrup and other things to support my immune system so that my body can fight it.

I have daughters and they will not be getting the Gardisil shot.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:19 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I actually wasn't aware of this being in the news, thanks. However, I was very perturbed indeed when Gardasil, which was a very new drug, was proposed to be used on all girls. That seems wildly risky to me, and almost the basis for a disaster movie.

I stopped getting flu shots ages ago, when I realized that I never got the flu.
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. That is MY motto as a Senior.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times
DH and I believe in getting the Flu shot - we and our children get it yearly - All three of my girls got the Gardisil vaccines (series of 3 shots).

Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
What does the murder suicide story have to do with vaccines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness