Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:21 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I remember a news story about a man who was teaching his children to be used to the cold. This was decades ago and now, of course, it would be called child abuse.....*sigh*

Anyway, there was a picture of him out in the snow with his kids all barefoot and wearing swimsuits and having a grand old time.

You can get used to the cold if you're exposed to it long enough and some people are just naturally "warm". Ask me about it. I go into the doctor complaining about being too hot all the time and he says menopause. Unfortunately, that's the standard reply to any woman between the ages of 12 and 90. But seriously, I can stand outside in 45 degree weather with a crisp breeze blowing and be perfectly comfortable. I don't own any long sleeved shirts and I never wear a coat. People are in winter coats when it's 60 degrees and asking me if I'm not freezing, and my answer is always, "Nope.".

But if the temp goes up to 70, that's just making me uncomfortable. Much over that, and I'll have the fan going. On the other hand, I have a friend who lives in Florida and when it goes down to 75°, she puts a jacket on. It's all what you get used to.
You sound very much like me. Lived in NY for 58 years. Cold never bothered me. Have lived in Florida for the past 7 years. Each year gets worse and worse for me. I cannot take the heat at all. I am hot when it's over 70 degrees. 90s? I am DYING with that.

I go back North as much as I possibly can in Fall and WINTER. A few years ago I went outside wearing just a wool sweater (no hat or gloves) when it was 9 degrees outside. Cold? Not at all. I rarely wore hats or gloves when I did live up North. If anything, living in Florida has INCREASED my tolerance for cold. It feels so good to me to be COLD, and not HOT

When I was still working, Florida people (mostly Northern transplants) used to chide me for not bundling up when temps went into the 50s! lol That is not cold, at all. They were in their parkas, hats, and gloves. I just wore a long sleeve shirt and pants. BTW, I don't get sick either.

I would never to go a doctor for my "warm" problem. Menopause? ROFL Fortunately, I went through that many years ago in NY. It would have really HORRIBLE if I had been living in hot as hell Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Just bear in mind that viruses are all around us, all the time. If your body is struggling to cope with a change in the weather or a nasty chill and you also come in contact with a virus you're not immune to, you're more likely to get sick. If you're not run down, exhausted or fighting off something else & your immune system is free to put all its attention on the virus, you're less likely to get sick from that virus.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:27 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I cannot take the heat at all. I am hot when it's over 70 degrees. 90s? I am DYING with that.
You sound like me. It got so bad that when I retired, I moved up to northern Maine to escape over-paved Rhode Island, where I could see the steam coming off the sidewalks in summer! And no...it isn't menopause, not even 'male' menopause. I just plain suffer in the heat.

But to the OP, yes, there IS a correlation between exposure to cold and "catching" a cold (it isn't called a "cold" for nothing!). When the body temperature is lowered, the immune system is unable - in the presence of a virus - to fight as efficiently. "Running a temperature" is one of the ways the body fights off invaders. If there is no virus present, then of course you would not "catch a cold". You would just get hypothermia and/or frostbite. And different people have varying levels of resistance.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
But what would happen to most people if they ran around in the snow with no clothes on for an hour?
Frostbite, hypothermia....but they wouldn't get a cold virus unless someone else was around to give it to them!

Old 11-07-2014, 03:21 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
As far as I know, a cold is a virus.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:45 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Actually people can catch a cold when they get a chill but the secret is a celestial demonic spirit which can bring a virus during a cold spell or cloudy cold days and put it on people , as this is a spiritual dilemma your doctor probably does not know or believe......See you can learn something new every day

Old 11-07-2014, 07:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
And here I thought it was bad ju-ju put on you by the witch-woman.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:03 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
But what would happen to most people if they ran around in the snow with no clothes on for an hour?
I think they get a raging case of trollitis.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:55 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Frostbite, hypothermia....but they wouldn't get a cold virus unless someone else was around to give it to them!
yep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I think they get a raging case of trollitis.
ha ha!

If they did this in a populated area, they might be arrested for indecent exposure. Then they'd have to register as a sex offender...but they would NOT get a cold, unless they had also been exposed to the rhinovirus AND their immune system was not fighting the virus off.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Frostbite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness