Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:51 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There is NOTHING wrong with tap water! Who told you that? America's water is about the cleanest you'll find anywhere. With rare exceptions, you don't need bottled water, or water filters! The tap water is fine!

Some areas have very hard water that can leave mineral stains on sinks, toilets and affect hot water heaters adversely...some sort of water softener can help that, but the "hard" water will NOT hurt you at all!

Reverse Osmosis used salt to "purify" it, doesn't it? Perhaps you're sensitive to sodium!
Not so for Flint Michigan.
But other than that I agree. I drink tap water. I drink a lot of water in a day so I have reusable bottles. I refuse to buy single use water bottles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 04:14 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not so for Flint Michigan.
But other than that I agree. I drink tap water. I drink a lot of water in a day so I have reusable bottles. I refuse to buy single use water bottles.

A Fermi Solution (no pun intended) to the Flint MI "crisis"-- if the Pb level in their water had been 1000x higher than the legal limit, a 6 y/o kid would have had to drink 5 gallons a day for over 100 yrs (and stayed the size of a 6y/o the whole time) to have been exposed to enough Pb to reach a toxic level in his system (and not secrete any along the way.)...It was only a crisis in politics.

Back to the OP: it's the tiny electrolyte "impurities" in tap water that give it its taste. Pure distilled water is tasteless, and a lot of people don't like it...and that's why mineral water (more electrolytes) tastes so good to some.

I'd question whether the OP was really drinking enough fluids on the days she felt dehydrated or if her stated "panic" elevated her adrenalin levels and was causing her dry mouth?

Old 01-17-2019, 02:26 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyJ7 View Post
Indeed so Suzy!

I cant stand the taste of RO water and even this page says it removes benefical minerals!

http://www.aqualiv.com/reverse-osmos...-filter-health

My friend got me a bottled water today and on the bottle it said "Purified using reverse osmosis methods" -- I took a couple sips and couldnt drink anymore,didnt taste good @ all!!!!!!! (Now im drinking some POLAND SPRING bottled water which tastes great)
4 to 5 year old thread here.

Newer RO systems (like mine) actually re-mineralize the water, they have an extra stage just for this. I am very happy with mine. No more trips to the water kiosk with those heavy 5 gallon jugs. The water tastes great and is pure. It is about 27-30 ppm right now WITH the minerals added in. It's closer to 0 without the minerals, THAT tells you it's pure. Taste is subjective and yes, go ahead and drink tap water. I haven't drunk tap water in over 30 years. I could go on and on about all of the stuff that is in it, but if you don't care, go ahead.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times
Yes RO removes everything, even the minerals to make the most pure water possible. This is really important if you want to be healthy or suffer from an immunodeficiency. But the minerals are very important too so you add them back in. You can get a water softener, use drops or take trace minerals daily in capsules like I do. Tap is very dangerous. Just research what they add to the water and where they source these additives from and you'll never drink it again.

I have Hashis and have mineral deficiencies and take supplements for these deficiencies. I honestly believe you are extremely deficient in some of these minerals and that's why the RO was causing these issues. But theres nothing wrong with RO water.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:30 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There is NOTHING wrong with tap water! Who told you that? America's water is about the cleanest you'll find anywhere. With rare exceptions, you don't need bottled water, or water filters! The tap water is fine!

Some areas have very hard water that can leave mineral stains on sinks, toilets and affect hot water heaters adversely...some sort of water softener can help that, but the "hard" water will NOT hurt you at all!

Reverse Osmosis used salt to "purify" it, doesn't it? Perhaps you're sensitive to sodium!
Ever heard of Flint, Michigan?

Old 08-22-2019, 10:30 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddleshawnthis View Post
Yes RO removes everything, even the minerals to make the most pure water possible. This is really important if you want to be healthy or suffer from an immunodeficiency. But the minerals are very important too so you add them back in. You can get a water softener, use drops or take trace minerals daily in capsules like I do. Tap is very dangerous. Just research what they add to the water and where they source these additives from and you'll never drink it again.

I have Hashis and have mineral deficiencies and take supplements for these deficiencies. I honestly believe you are extremely deficient in some of these minerals and that's why the RO was causing these issues. But theres nothing wrong with RO water.
RO does not remove "everything" but it does remove the majority of particulate impurities, including minerals. It is not as "pure" as distilled water. As for developing deficiencies, let's get back to common sense here. Don't forget that you don't live on water alone. You eat, and you also drink other liquids besides water. Which plain water you choose to drink (and I don't mean any other liquids) isn't going to create deficiencies all by itself. Electrolytes, minerals, vitamins, organics, proteins, sugars, carbs, fats and all the rest of what makes up basic nutrition will be provided by the rest of your diet. What you might miss because you use RO water you'll get from everything else that goes over your tongue. Not even sure someone could physically drink enough RO water on a daily basis to create a deficiency just because of that choice on its own.

FWIW, I always install an RO filter on one sink in my homes because I keep mineral-sensitive aviary birds and usually have well water that has a high mineral content. I don't usually have access to distilled water and wouldn't choose to buy endless plastic jugs of it anyway. The birds don't develop deficiencies. When I drink straight water (not water used in cooking or mixed drinks) I drink the RO water because it tastes better than the well water. I've done this for the past 20 years at least. I don't develop deficiencies either.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-22-2019 at 11:34 PM..

Old 08-29-2019, 09:11 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
RO and distilled water basically strips anything from the water that is not the water. Since you are not ingesting anything but near pure water, my uneducated guess is that its not the water but the lack of something that is now being taken out of the water that is the issue. You may have a serious mineral deficiency that is being highlighted by the lack of any minerals in those two waters.

Very good guess, I bet this is the reason. Not sure if the OP is still around, but he should just get back to drinking tap water or buy bottled water. If the problem go away, he would know the answer...

Old 09-01-2019, 06:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Ever heard of Flint, Michigan?
Plenty of other places have problems with lead and various other contaminants depending on your water supply. I had a boss who was a public service commissioner and while he was a commissioner, he said they had a lot of drama over what constituted “safe” for drinking purposes. I know in Florida, they had a huge phosphate sinkhole into the main aquifer that supplied most of the drinking water and didn’t tell anyone for some time. They said it was no problem, but it is hard to believe that people who live close to the facility would experience few problems, especially since it is radioactive. It may take some time for people to figure out what the effects might be. That said, I am not sure if reverse osmosis removes radiation... People would just need to drink bottled water.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:13 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That said, I am not sure if reverse osmosis removes radiation... People would just need to drink bottled water.
Technically, if the solids present in the water are radioactive (such as a heavy metal), and you have the correct RO membrane that can trap those solids, you can remove radiation. But then you've also collected those solids in your filter cartridge by doing so. Some radioactive substances such as iodine isotopes are present in water as dissolved gases...and RO technology doesn't effectively remove gases.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:09 PM

689 posts, read 972,939 times
I love RO water - to me, it tastes perfect!

I just recently purchased the RO AquaTru counter-top system and it's wonderful. According to my research (and their certified test results), it really does filter out the vast majority of the crap. It's the only one endorsed by Erin Brockovich, if that tells you anything. The 4-stage filtering process does leave in some trace minerals but I also use mineral drops and add the suggested amount to every tank I make. I also take a good vitamin/mineral supplement daily so I doubt I'm lacking anything.

I've used carbon filters in the past, but they just don't take out much, and I wanted to find a way to truly make clean water at home. I was getting tired of consuming all of the large plastic bottles of both spring and RO waters sold at the store. Additionally, DH and I are committed to cutting back our usage of plastic in general.

I never drink tap water btw - and when I'm out, I'll either order a bottle (yeah, plastic) or ask if they filter. Way too much garbage in municipal water imo.

Last edited by LaylaM; 09-02-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness