Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:10 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times

Advertisements

I just had mine on Friday. I hung around looking at frames, dropped the little sunglass thing behind my glasses and drove home about 10 miles. Slightly blurry driving, 4 hours later I walked next door and my Dad's kitchen was so bright I had to cover my eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:20 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Awwww. What a sweet story. That's one of the reasons why it's so important to see your eye doctor regularly

Actually, optometrists are qualified to dilate your eyes also. It's really important to have the dilation performed, even if you have no symptoms, because eye doctors can catch diseases like glaucoma, diabetes, and high blood pressure via dilation, and sometimes find it before your family doctor does.

They do the "air puff" test which I assume is an alternative to the pupil dilation. It's a very busy chain optics place in a mall so I assume they do it to save time. Before I moved and was off my parent's insurance I used to go a private ophthalmologist office where the visits (including eyeglass fitting) took about an hour and a half. I'm in and out of the chain optics place in about 20 minutes.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
They do the "air puff" test which I assume is an alternative to the pupil dilation. It's a very busy chain optics place in a mall so I assume they do it to save time. Before I moved and was off my parent's insurance I used to go a private ophthalmologist office where the visits (including eyeglass fitting) took about an hour and a half. I'm in and out of the chain optics place in about 20 minutes.
You're right that it's an alternative, but it's a poor one. Dilation allows the doctor to view the retina and macula. When your eyes aren't dilated, the doctor can't examine the back part of your eye because your pupil doesn't open when a bright light is shined on it. Its natural response is to constrict. The back of your eye is just as much, if not more responsible for helping you see as your cornea, sclera, conjuctiva, etc. . . I suggest you get a dilation at least every few years since you're young, just to make sure everything is OK.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:03 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I've worked as a Certified Ophthalmic Technician for several years, so I have a bit of knowledge to impart about the subject. The doc or technician normally puts two different drops in. The first opens your pupils up to prevent them from constricting when a light is shined in them; in other words, it temporarily interferes with the normal function of your eye). That's so the doc can check the health of your retina, optic nerve, and macula indirectly. The second drop keeps your pupil open a little while so the doctor has enough time to check it before it closes back up. Many people are OK with driving after pupil dilation because it makes just your near vision blurry, not your distance vision. If you aren't, just bring some lunch or a good book and you can hang out until you feel comfortable. Pupil dilation does make your eyes light sensitive, however, so you should wear some dark sunglasses if you go outside on a sunny day right after the eye exam. The doctor's office will offer you some sunglasses, but they suck, so bring your own. The dilation lasts most people 2-3 hours before reversing itself naturally.
I was thinking that I'd probably have to pack a lunch... or something. Shall I get a large print book from the library?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have a friend who says it never went away.

He checked out the BABE that was dilating his eyes and was never the same. He married her. Says his eye still bug out when he looks at her.
You scared me for a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness