U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,484 times

Advertisements

Found this thread after searching pain after gall bladder removal. I went through multiple unpleasant procedures trying to figure out why there is a similar pain as before when I had my gall bladder removed. I know everyone is different, but I want to share what worked for me.

It was the food I was eating! Yeah, they tell you to eat a low-fat diet after the surgery and then your body will get used to it but my pain always came back when I eat a meal with oil or fat. (Usually a few hours after a meal.) I discovered that I had to eat a smaller meal and avoid any excess meat, dairy cheese, and oils.

Two things seem to help tremendously, The starch diet by Dr. McDougall (rice, pasta, potatoes, beans, etc.) and some good quality digestive enzymes. Try to avoid all processed foods. I take a capsule of enzymes before I eat a meal. It worked for months then recently I ate a bag of chips with no enzymes ...bang! ... that pain came back!

It's hard giving up on my favorite fatty foods (pizza, steak, McDonalds) but it beats that pain.

Hope this helps someone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
I have the chest pain to were I can barley breath. Just hunch over, doubled in pain! I had my GallBladder removed 1 month after giving birth (With cracked ribs) November 2009. I still ... to this day go up to 5 weeks NOT being able to go #2. I still have those gall stone pains and lost 20lbs due to the laser surgery to remove it.
Doctor after doctor and no one knew anything ..... I live and had emergency surgery for it in Selma AL. and we have few good doctors and nurses here!
FINALLY! A ct scan.... following by x-rays and mri's. There is a clamp missing! There was 3 now just 2.
They can't find it anywhere in my body!
The doctor ... Dr. Indavina who done the surgery REFUSED to see me and would not let me in his office, and since Feb. 2010 was fired and has law suits against him!
We are one of those who are trying against him to see what we can do!
Certain foods SOMETIMES (not always) cause these pains along with reflux, and hunger!
1 out of 10 will still experience those pains, and I have always had bad luck, so I am one of those 1's.
I am blessed to be alive though. I had over 200 gall stones and barley pulled through surgery at 18 due to 273/ 179 blood pressure!
So I am thankful I am here but I would have rather suffered than still & constantly staying in pain with NO INSURANCE!

Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,454 times
I am so glad I found this forum. Now I know I am not the only one with this problem. I had my gb removed 6 to 7 years ago.I have been trying to figure out what triggers the attacks. I finally figured it out. It is usually in the am.and after I have taken hydrocodone wth Tylenol so I have tried everything to relieve the excruciating pain. I have found that taking Simethicone extra strength, 3 tabs.at the very onset of the attack, will stop it. Or shall I say shorten the attackI have had blood test and ct scan so far I have other test scheduled. So far found elevated liver enzymes and small spot on liver..

Old 04-06-2015, 12:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,437 times
[quote=Mikala43;27763126]^^^^^Gastro symptoms are VERY hard to diagnose - you need a very good doctor to get to the bottom of the issues [i]if they can."
I completely agree with this. I came online tonight to see if I was the only one who felt this pain and turns out... I'm not! :-) after numerous tests, I was referred to one of the top 5 Neuro Gastroenterologists in the country. Let me tell you that the drive, the money to go in to the city, and the many many tests was definitely well worh it! They are still testing but have found sine things fixable along the way. Finding a good Gastrointestinal Dr is sooooooo important! Very rarely can your GP Dr solve problems like these.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
CLAUDIA B Had my gallbladder removed in Feb of this year. I have all the same problems it seems as everyone else. I would like to know if any one has had any blackout spells .

Old 05-05-2015, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,328 times
Had GB removed Friday May 1, was home by noon...was walking in my home from the moment I got home, getting 10k steps each day since(Fitbit fanatic )... took 1 Percocet every 5 hours starting Friday until mid day Sunday...since then an occasional Tylenol extra strenght ...pain has been moderate , and really only noticible getting out of a chair, out of bed, or bending down..Also experiencing breathing pain, particularly when taking deep breathes, on right side under rib cage..kinda where my misplaced GB was...if my breathing increases due to a moderate stressor, I also have a pain...however, being 4 days post Op I feel pretty good...I am mid 50's ,male, who had to wait 90 days for this surgery as I had DVT and pulmonary embolisms which I was taking Coumadin for..During this entire period, I had a Chloe Bag and tube attached to my GB, drainging the bile out of GB into bag attached to my hip....Hopefully this issue of pain when deep breathing or rapid breathing dissipates shortly

Old 06-28-2015, 03:07 PM

6,638 posts, read 3,747,793 times
My wife had her gall bladder removed several years ago, due to a diagnosis of it being under performing. She/we never thought of the negatives.

She's had pain ever since. Diagnosis is Sphincter of Oddi, something that seems to happen more in woman once the gall bladder is removed. There is a dangerous procedure that has high risk to the pancreas. So for now, my wife suffers. She's gone to pain management clinics. The meds suck, and the side effects are worse then them not really subsiding her pain.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM

9 posts, read 9,164 times
I had my gallbladder removed two years ago (emergency procedure). About a year ago, I started having pains. For me, the pain is constant (not sharp) and behind my ribs (left and right) and just below the right ribs (by my surgical scars). I also get bloated often and suffer from the "usual" digestive issues. It's painful and uncomfortable.
I started researching, since all of my tests are coming back normal. I think it is trial and error and you have to see what works for you and/or is your specific issue. It's possible the pain and the digestive 'issues' are separate.
First, figure out if you have a gluten sensitivity and/or a dairy sensitivity. These are highly probable after having your gallbladder removed.
Next, get Ox Bile. You will need to be on this forever.
Digestive enzymes may or may not help. So try them and see what happens for you.
Finally, get your liver healthy and keep it that way. The liver was the problem to begin with (docs don't tell us that). So research ways to help your liver, which will help everything else. There are some supplements, but I've read that juicing is the best (and adding milk thistle). Carrot juice, beetroot juice, citrus juice, etc. Juicing should deliver immediate nutrients without forcing your body to break anything down. It gives the liver a break.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-11-2015, 07:35 AM

171 posts, read 782,100 times
I still have pain from time to time. I had my GB removed this past January. It was full of infection and gangrene. I don't feel any better than before the surgery. Wish you the best.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
Same here - had my gallbladder out five years ago, and life post-gallbladder surgery was WAY WAY worse than before! Just recently had another endoscopy, and now they say that the pain is cause by muscle spasms! Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction! Look it up.

I got some antispasmatic medicine - DICYCLOMINE. It is a freakin godsend. I used to be incapacitated, completely debilitated by my attacks. The dicyclomine makes them go away with seconds. Seriously.

I hope you all find relief. It took me several years but I think I may have found mine. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness