Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 62,587 times

Advertisements

I had my gallbladder removed in July 1997 (lap chole). Ever since then I have had horrible stomach problems. Right now I am suffering a bout of bad upper right abdominal pain that extends to my back and shoulder blade. I've had this pain off and on since two months after the lap chole. I have had two upper endoscopies, one colonoscopy, two barium swallows, two CT scans, several ultrasounds and countless visits to GI docs. I recently was diagnosed with celiac disease - which explains the pain/bloating/diarrhea on the left side. But no one can tell me what the recurrent bouts of pain are on the upper right. I suspect it is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction - GI docs never mentioned this. They always look at me like I'm crazy or making it up. For years was told I have IBS (this is the celiac). My upper rt. abd pain does not seem to relate to a fatty meal (don't eat fat or gluten). In fact this last bout started during the fast last week before my EGD/colonoscopy - when I hadn't eaten ANYTHING for 24 hours.
I always freak out and worry that it's my liver or pancreas (I've had slightly elevated bilirubin levels) but after ready numerous accounts of others with upper right pain post lap chole, I think this is a common outcome that should be addressed by the surgeon or GI doc pre-surgery. No blame to docs but would be nice to know what to expect post surgery. At least I wouldn't have spent 11 years worrying!

Going to start on prilosec next week. Having another ultrasound next week. Will discuss SOD with GI doc. Will post again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 125,414 times
I had my gall bladder removed in 2002 and 2 weeks later I had the same pain in my upper abdomen but 10 times worse. I called 911 because I was on the road and had to pull over. I could barely talk the pain was so bad. These attacks have happened numerous times over the years and every doctor had a different reason. Acid reflux, IBS, and the list goes on. I have had a scope done 3 times and they haven't found anything - even biopsies of my stomach. It seems to come on when I take any kind of opiate pain killer too. So then the docs said that I was allergic to opium. That hasn't made life any easier. I'm in pain but pain killers cause more pain. Ususally I will throw up after the attacks are over and they last usually around 30 - 45 minutes. If anyone can help me out I'd be ever so thankful. I'm tired of docs looking at me like I'm nuts. Thanks, and I hope your pain gets better.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 125,414 times
I could have written this myself - I just posted on this site about my experiences. I've heard it all - diagnosis wise. Does yours get worse when you take strong painkillers? Or haven't you tried any yet? Let me know what you find out - if you ever do.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
Wow, I guess I'm lucky. I had my gallbladder out in emergency surgery December 29th, 2006 and haven't had much trouble since (at least related to the gallbladder/loss of the gallbladder)....unless I eat rich fatty foods. But I'm lactose intolerant and have always had digestive problems anyway. The difference since the surgery is if I eat more than a small amount of something super-rich in fat I get horrible stomach cramps and "have to go to the bathroom" immediately.

Since we all probably should avoid rich, fatty foods anyway I don't mind that side effect. It helps keep me from eating bad things.

To those that have different pain, the kind you've all been describing in this thread....did do you have surgical staples inside you? Could they be irritating you and/or giving you some kind of reaction?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 62,372 times
Default Same exact diagnoses

As I was reading this I thought I was writing this myself. I had my gallbladder out last year in March 2008. I have been having severe pain/burning in my upper right abdomen under my rib cage, even before my gallbladder was removed.

The pain got worse after my gallbladder removal and went to see a GI. He told me I have IBS and it causes spasms sometimes and gave me medication for the spasms. The pain kept getting worse, so I went back and he orederd an Upper GI with a biopsy. That's when I found out I have celiac disease. OK..but that doesn't explain the pain in my upper right side, especially being gluten free for almost 5 months now.

I am supposed to be going for an MRI and a few more x-rays hopefully next week. I hope they figure out what's going on, I can't take the pain anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom GB View Post
I had my gallbladder removed in July 1997 (lap chole). Ever since then I have had horrible stomach problems. Right now I am suffering a bout of bad upper right abdominal pain that extends to my back and shoulder blade. I've had this pain off and on since two months after the lap chole. I have had two upper endoscopies, one colonoscopy, two barium swallows, two CT scans, several ultrasounds and countless visits to GI docs. I recently was diagnosed with celiac disease - which explains the pain/bloating/diarrhea on the left side. But no one can tell me what the recurrent bouts of pain are on the upper right. I suspect it is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction - GI docs never mentioned this. They always look at me like I'm crazy or making it up. For years was told I have IBS (this is the celiac). My upper rt. abd pain does not seem to relate to a fatty meal (don't eat fat or gluten). In fact this last bout started during the fast last week before my EGD/colonoscopy - when I hadn't eaten ANYTHING for 24 hours.
I always freak out and worry that it's my liver or pancreas (I've had slightly elevated bilirubin levels) but after ready numerous accounts of others with upper right pain post lap chole, I think this is a common outcome that should be addressed by the surgeon or GI doc pre-surgery. No blame to docs but would be nice to know what to expect post surgery. At least I wouldn't have spent 11 years worrying!

Going to start on prilosec next week. Having another ultrasound next week. Will discuss SOD with GI doc. Will post again!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 62,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JENN039 View Post
has Anyone Ever Had There Gallbladder Removed And Than End Up In Worse Pain Than Before You Had It Removed?? Well Since Mine Has Been Removed Back In October 2007 I Have Had Nothing But Severe Upper Abdominal Pain. It Will Start In Between My Ribcages And Radiate Right Through To My Back. The Doctors Can Not Figure Out What This Pain Could Be. They Have Done Blood Work And A Endoscopy But Every Thing Has Come Back Negative. Has Anyone Experience This And If So How Long Does The Pain Continue For?
I had my gallbladder removed back in the fall of 2006. I have the pains in my abdomin ( right between the rib cage). I have to lay down from 15-45 minutes for it to pass. It takes the wind right out of me. I was in Florida on vacation about 2 weeks ago and the pain started in while we were out to eat. I got up and went to the restroom thinking I was gonna get sick, next thing I knew I came to under the sink. I had fainted, hit my head on the sink and then came to. I got up and went back out again. This time I took the bathroom stahl down with ( clean off its hinges ). I came to on the floor by the toilet and the door on top of me. I managed to get up and make out of the bathroom to get my husbands attention. He came to the bathroom and peeked in and about that time I was going out again. He caught me and I laid me on the floor. I to and he was on top of me holding me down. I started shaking ( they thought i was having a seizure). The parametics were called and I went to the hospital. They did tests (blood sugar, heart, cat scann, ekg.) and found nothing. Everything was normal.
I have had endometrioses in the past and had a full hystorectomy. Before the hystro. I was having these pells (3 in my lifetime), this was my fourth. The doctors have no clue on what causes it to happen. They want me to come in while it is happening but im at work or its late in the evening. I have never been this bad till our trip to Florida.. it is scary. I wish there was a reason for all this.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 PM

9 posts, read 109,888 times
First, rule out the scary stuff. Once you have been checked for clots, internal scarring, and had an ultrasound for aortal anuerism, it's time to find an massage therapist trained specifically in Upledger's fascial release techniques for the abdomen. Your transversus abdominus wraps all the way around. Any scarring or adhesions in the abdominal tissues can easily cause sharp radiating pains that wrap around. To find a therapist like this, go to [url=http://www.upledger.com]The Upledger Institute[/url], and use their therapist locator.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 62,161 times
Unhappy pain before and after gallbladder surgery

Just one week ago I experienced a pressure pain at the top of my abdomin right under where my ribs meet. The pain increased to sharp pain and pressure like something was being inflated under my right side in my rib cage. I had emergency surgery performed with my gallbladder being removed. Since the surgery I experience the constant pressure pain where my ribs connect, this is the same pain I had before surgery. My regular GP is wanting me to be sent in for an ERCP. All my blood tests have come back normal now, one of the blood tests before surgery indicated one of my liver enzemes was slightly elivated. When I eat any low fat item or even drink anything the pressure pain increases. Can anyone please tell me what I might be experiencing?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 61,925 times
Wow I thought I was the only one with this problem. 2 years ago I became very ill and it turned out I had an infection in the gall bladder and it just stopped working. It was 3 times the normal size and letting bile get into my blood stream. The doctor said it was rare for that to happen and he had it removed. Now I felt great after the surgery until about 3 months later. I started getting recurring pains where my gall bladder used to be. It went to the doctor about 9 months after surgery and he told me I had 4 staples left in me but hopefully they were the dissolving kind and that they would go away. Well fast forward 2 years and I still get recurring pain in the same spot that makes me feel ill. It happens suddenly and it affects my way of life. I just want to be normal but I will not have insurance again until the 1st (new job after loss of last one). Should I be worried. It affects the way I feel and I am afraid it is something terrible.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 60,895 times
This sounds like my case a bit too...I first had server upper-right abdominal pain in 2004 where I was rushed to the ER. After some tests they diagnosed this as a kidney infection and gave me some medicine. The second attack came in early November 2008, once again I was on my way to the ER. They tested me for kidney stones, I have none. I had the pain again in late November, back to the ER. This time they did a CT scan and ultrasound and found 2-3 small gall stones. They said I was having 'gall attacks' caused by these stones. I had my gall bladder removed laproscopically in December of 2008, and the pain in my upper-right abodmin has not gone away. The pain has actually been occuring even more. I have already had two of these attacks with discomfort on a daily basis. The pain is so intense it brings me to my knees, I have even passed out once due to the pain. I usually get the pain in the mornings and after eatting greasy foods.In the past 2 weeks, I have been to the doctor 4 times and had blood work, ultrasound, x-rays and an MRI done. All of these came back normal. Now they are suspecting me for Celiac Disease, and I am going in for more tests shortly. If this is true, goodbye wheat. Did I mention that I already have severe food allergies to soy, milk and peanuts...I need to fix this pain because it is ruining my life... oh yea, I am only 25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness