U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM

396 posts, read 1,541,142 times

Advertisements

I had a couple of bad periods of heart palpitaions. Mine were from acid reflux bothering the vagus nerve which can cause them. Turns out I had celiac disease(gluten intollerence) which was setting it all off. If you have acid reflux issues and heart palpitations try googling the vagus nerve and palpitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,114,834 times
My brother had irregular heart beat and finally got a pace maker.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:57 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,928,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Does anyone else have heart palpitations? I have had them off and on for the past 10 years (I'm in my early 30's), but have had them every day for one year now, whereas in the past they would come and go every few years.

I was diagnosed with PVCs, which stands for pre-ventricular contractions. What it feels like is your heart pausing or skipping a beat, and then beating very strongly--a thud. I went to the cardiologist complaining of this and I got a holter monitor, which shows what's going on for a 24-hour period. I also got an echocardiogram and an EKG. Anyhow, all these things were normal except for the PVCs.

I'm wondering how other people who have them deal with them. There is no medication that is right for me, because with a normal echo and no history of heart disease in the family, these are usually not treated.

However, they are very bothersome, and some days I feel them several times a minute, whereas other days I just feel 20 or so per day. Sometimes they make me feel anxious, and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that.

I am also wondering how others feel them during exercise.
I used to have heart palpitations in my 20's - my family has a history of mitro valve prolapse. My heart palpitations seemed to increase when I was under stress - which was all the time. Now, I do yoga everyday, limit my caffeine, keep my weight and stress down... and all has been right for several years now.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM

666 posts, read 5,397,863 times
Have any of the women noticed that their heart palps increase during their pre-menstrual time? I often find that mine are the worst in the week before my period starts. I wondered if there is any actual link between hormones and palps.

Also, for those of you who have had palps, do you tend to have them every day, or just once in awhile? I have had them every day for a year.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,477,924 times
I used to get palpitations and suspected it was SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). I first quit smoking and they diminished a lot, but I finally figured out that I do not get them unless I am dehydrated. I have tried to stay well hydrated and the only time I seem to get them is during pregnancy.

Doglover29, I got mine when dehydrated, so they occurred almost daily in the summer back when I smoked, and then about weekly when I quit smoking. Now that I am extremely conscious of my hydration status, I haven't gotten them since I was pregnant back in July of 2006. Hope that helps.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,727,875 times
Quote:
I have had them every day for a year.
doglover - Have you tried lifestyle changes?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:14 PM

666 posts, read 5,397,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
doglover - Have you tried lifestyle changes?
Well, here's the thing: when I asked the cardiologist why I am having these, he said that he doesn't know why I am getting them, since my tests were all normal, including EKG and echocardiogram. Meaning, my heart is structurally normal. Bloodwork is normal. So they don't know exactly why I am getting them, but having them every single day (and sometimes as frequent as 5 per minute) has been distressing.

They started the same week as I had a cold. The cardiologist said that can cause them--having an upper respiratory virus. Since that cold, they've been there every single day. I was under a lot of stress at the time, but that's gone now. I have not noticed a correlation between stress and the severity of the palps, though.

I really don't know what I can do in terms of lifestyle changes. The things the cardiologist suggested I not do I never did in the first place: I have never smoked, don't drink, and don't consume caffeine. These are some of the things that can trigger palps/make them worse, but I don't do any of them.

Beyond that, I admit that I don't exercise, but I have felt them when I do walk and climb stairs, which is distressing to me, so feeling the palps deters me from doing more strenuous exercise.

I'm of normal weight, so it's not a weight problem. I do notice them more in the pre-menstrual phase but I don't know what I can do about that.

I eat a very healthy diet so that's not an issue.

I'm not sure what else I can do. Any thoughts?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,528,592 times
The post above about hydration is excellent. I had forgotten to mention that.

I also agree that there is a hormonal connection, although it's something I have to re-learn all of the time. I never anticipate things - I always say "why do I feel this way right now?" and then finally say "oh yeah".

If I think of anything else, I'll post again. There are medications, but there would be too many unpleasant and potentially dangerous side effects to make these worthwhile.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:28 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,130,180 times
ive had them before. i know how scary it can feel. right now im struggling with angina. sometimes drs will test you and still not be able to find anything.
try to find ways to keep yourself in a calm state!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,528,592 times
OK, I just checked a medical reference on PVCs and it mentioned that you could have an imbalance of magnesium, calcium, and/or potassium (so you could take supplements of these, you know, check with your doctor, etc.).

And also hormonal imbalance ... well, the first thing would be the hyperthyroid, but you've mentioned on another thread that your thyroid is normal.

And you could just try some Maalox just in case this has something to do with your Vagus nerve. You never know. Sometimes the oddest, simplest things help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness