U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM

15,370 posts, read 35,358,264 times

Advertisements

be cautious of potassium....it's a blood thickener and can cause problems if you're trying to keep your blood flowing....
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,129,050 times
wow! then why do they always recommend it for heart patients?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
be cautious of potassium....it's a blood thickener and can cause problems if you're trying to keep your blood flowing....

Old 01-05-2008, 02:09 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,629,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Have any of the women noticed that their heart palps increase during their pre-menstrual time? I often find that mine are the worst in the week before my period starts. I wondered if there is any actual link between hormones and palps.

Also, for those of you who have had palps, do you tend to have them every day, or just once in awhile? I have had them every day for a year.
Yes, I would say mine increase during that week as well. I get mine every once in a while, not everyday. You really should try to get exercise as it can help with circulation and strengthen your heart. You don't have to climb stairs or anything strenuous, just walking at a good pace is better than nothing.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 AM

859 posts, read 1,936,259 times
I have tachycardia,,,,( irregular fast heartbeat) I am on Toprol 50 mg. Doesnt take them away but it does helps, and I know when I *forgett* to take the Pill.

I had the *attacks* and thought I was having a Heart attack,, had to wear a Halter for 24 hrs, and found out my heart would go into Overdrive while sitting, sleeping, and actuelly * forgett to beat*. While I was sleeping !!!!

I startet at 25 mg, but now up too 50 mg, and seems to do better.
No caffeine after Noon, and no Workout after 6 pm, somehow it will screw up my heart while trying to sleep...

Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,215,005 times
Quote:
Does anyone else have heart palpitations? I have had them off and on for the past 10 years (I'm in my early 30's), but have had them every day for one year now, whereas in the past they would come and go every few years.

I was diagnosed with PVCs, which stands for pre-ventricular contractions. What it feels like is your heart pausing or skipping a beat, and then beating very strongly--a thud. I went to the cardiologist complaining of this and I got a holter monitor, which shows what's going on for a 24-hour period. I also got an echocardiogram and an EKG. Anyhow, all these things were normal except for the PVCs.

I'm wondering how other people who have them deal with them. There is no medication that is right for me, because with a normal echo and no history of heart disease in the family, these are usually not treated.

However, they are very bothersome, and some days I feel them several times a minute, whereas other days I just feel 20 or so per day. Sometimes they make me feel anxious, and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that.

I am also wondering how others feel them during exercise.
I have them too, and have had all the same checks as you. The doc took the time to explain to me that I have a slightly slower heart beat than normal, which accentuates the 'pause' feeling, and the delayed 'thump' when the beat returns.

In conclusion; It's a slight abnormality which doesn't affect my life or my health.

I have had the feeling intermittently over the last few years, but I just ignore it, thank goodness I am healthy - and it goes away! Best wishes to you

Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM

379 posts, read 524,337 times
Potassium is necessary for cardiac function!

It will not thicken your blood! If you are being treated for high blood pressure with diuretics you may need to be on potassium supplements too. Thiazide diuretic medications cause the body to loose too much potassium.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,527,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Potassium is necessary for cardiac function!

It will not thicken your blood! If you are being treated for high blood pressure with diuretics you may need to be on potassium supplements too. Thiazide diuretic medications cause the body to loose too much potassium.
You need the right amount of Potassium - not too little, not too much.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 PM

379 posts, read 524,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
You need the right amount of Potassium - not too little, not too much.
I realize that. I was responding to the question about why potassium is prescribed for many cardiac patients. It wasn't about excess potassium.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:48 PM

666 posts, read 5,396,871 times
I had an incredibly scare flare up of PVC's over the weekend--has anyone ever had this? Like a several-hour period where your heart palpitations are going crazy? I was ready to go to the ER, but they subsided. I've never had a flare up that bad before. I'm going to see my cardiologist this week to make sure everything is ok.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 15,029,423 times
Quote:
I had an incredibly scare flare up of PVC's over the weekend--has anyone ever had this? Like a several-hour period where your heart palpitations are going crazy? I was ready to go to the ER, but they subsided. I've never had a flare up that bad before. I'm going to see my cardiologist this week to make sure everything is ok.
You know, maybe you're having panic attacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness