U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:27 PM

655 posts, read 756,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
I have had pvc's since memorial day of 2007. They came on in 3 hour stints 3 times that week, very scary. I've changed my eating habits and have basically become a health nut. I'm buying a treadmill next week and am going to take up yoga also. I noticed big changes when I quit eating crap such as fast food, lots of sugar, trans fats, and foods filled with preservatives and such. I also noticed a difference when I was walking every night this summer. I also notice that I get them if I wait too long to eat between meals, which suggests that blood sugar levels have an effect on them. Also, if I'm not getting to sleep early enough it will happen. I've also learned to de-stress - I could use more though, hence the yoga. Also, if I need to burp I will get them and then when I do they stop, that's the really weird one. Basically as long as I'm doing a relaxing type exercise, eating healthy, avoiding sugar, not drinking alcohol, sleeping from 11 to 8, and getting a massage at least once a month I'm fine. I needed a kick in the butt to start being healthier anyway, so I'm glad in a way, but I'm hoping that after a period of this changed life style that I won'd experience them anymore. I want more children but I'm going to wait a bit to do that, I'm worried about what effect being pregnant will have on them.
Ditto this! Tis how I got rid of mine. I was having them daily, some so bad, I thought "this is it" went on a huge exercise and health kick. Lost 30 pounds, gained muscle, walk 5 miles daily, eat veggies, take cat naps, BP lowered to optimal rate, take fish oil, and so on. I have not had one in 3-months. Not bad, as I was having daily episodes and unable to sleep well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 05:08 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,162,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Does anyone else have heart palpitations? I have had them off and on for the past 10 years (I'm in my early 30's), but have had them every day for one year now, whereas in the past they would come and go every few years.

I was diagnosed with PVCs, which stands for pre-ventricular contractions. What it feels like is your heart pausing or skipping a beat, and then beating very strongly--a thud. I went to the cardiologist complaining of this and I got a holter monitor, which shows what's going on for a 24-hour period. I also got an echocardiogram and an EKG. Anyhow, all these things were normal except for the PVCs.

I'm wondering how other people who have them deal with them. There is no medication that is right for me, because with a normal echo and no history of heart disease in the family, these are usually not treated.

However, they are very bothersome, and some days I feel them several times a minute, whereas other days I just feel 20 or so per day. Sometimes they make me feel anxious, and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that.

I am also wondering how others feel them during exercise.
Might be a good idea to get an EKG and echocardiogram, in case you have pulmonary hypertension or something. I have a mild case of that along with plus mitral valve prolapse. I'm taking Toprol.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:13 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,395,037 times
Electrolites such as calcium,magnesium,and potassium as well as B-vitamins are fundamental for proper heart function. Fish oils wouldn't hurt either.
I had palpitations when I was 19 and I knew that wasn't normal for my age.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,162,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Electrolites such as calcium,magnesium,and potassium as well as B-vitamins are fundamental for proper heart function. Fish oils wouldn't hurt either.
I had palpitations when I was 19 and I knew that wasn't normal for my age.
I first noticed occasional palpitations it when I was 17, but was told it wasn't anything to worry about.

This is a pretty decent site.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,395,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I first noticed occasional palpitations it when I was 17, but was told it wasn't anything to worry about.
That's what they told my wife's boss right before he keeled over at a baseball game. I don't trust most of them as far as I could throw em.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 PM

3,758 posts, read 7,784,628 times
Palpitations - Menopause

Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 25,117 times
Well, the doctor visit was not much help. He wanted to get me on a treadmil for a stress test. I have not agreed to do it yet. He did not ask me the kinds of questions i was expecting. like diet, pass health, supplements, etc... the only thing he did was a quick EKG , which was normal (it seems like the heart knows when someone's watching.). i read on another blog, that chelated Magnesium is helpful, so i started taking about 250 mg daily. It seem to help alot the after a few days and i did not feel any heart palpitations for a week. But this past week it came back. I may up my dosage to 500. I am not sure i will go back to the doctor, but if i do, i will find a different one. Well, I will be back with the results. In a couple of weeks.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 15,207 times
Default Mitro valve prolapse

well after having my second child in june i started having palpatations....at one point i was sitting watching tv drinking water and all of a sudden had such a palpatation i felt like was a about to faint and i burned up in my face and got really scared....i went to my pcp...and they said lets do an ekg and a ultrasound...ekg came back normal...the ultrasound my pcp said that is was a mild mitro valve prolapse...and that he did not want to put me on medicine because it was mild but he recommended i see a cardiologist...cardiologist read the report of the ultrasound...he did an ekg, stress test, lung test...he said that i should diet,low salt, no caffeine, excercise.. i did let him know that i had a heart murmur when i was born but grew out of that when i was the age of 2...he said that can cause a mitro valve prolapse and that u only notice u have it in ur 20's or 30's when it acts up (palpatations) which i think is weird. since june i have lost over 50lbs...and blood pressure is normal...today january 09 i still see my cardiologist every so often and i explain to him i still have the palpatations everyday...not as bad...but they are a big annoyance...i have not had an ultrasound done since july...and im worried that its getting worse...since the palpatations are not gone...i have them during relaxing watching tv or when im moving around with the kids...or i have them right before i burp....does anyone know if burping or gas pockets have anything to do with this???? i can out burp a many people big time...they are long and loud burps....i mean i really feel i should get a second opinion...because im tired of having these palpatations they make me nervous and i have 2 kids that im with all the time....any suggestions????

Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 AM

3,194 posts, read 2,631,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I've been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse as well - about 12 or so years ago. At the time, I didn't notice symptoms, but my doc caught the flutter during a check up. I went and had all the test done. My mom has it as well.
It wasn't until a few years ago that I started having the horrible fluttering, balance problems, etc. From what I learned, Mitral Valve Prolapse is a symptom of an auto immune disorder in general. I also read that you are generally more sensitive to being startled and have extreme adrenaline floods. All which I have had.
My biggest way to combat it, believe it or not, is exercise. I took up running and in general, have no symptoms as long as I run. I realize thought that mitral valve is different from what you are talking about.
I, too, was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse 4 years ago. I would be on my treadmill and have shortness of breath. Scared the hell out of me, since I have never been sick in my life.
I went to my doctor, he recommended an echo cardiogram. This is how he found out I had MVP. I do have palpitations at times, but not very often.
I exercise 5 days a week, fast walking and use a rebounder. I have no symptoms of shortness of breath anymore. I really don't know why, since I have always exercised.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 25,117 times
Smile Burp

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmomof2 View Post
well after having my second child in june i started having palpatations....at one point i was sitting watching tv drinking water and all of a sudden had such a palpatation i felt like was a about to faint and i burned up in my face and got really scared....i went to my pcp...and they said lets do an ekg and a ultrasound...ekg came back normal...the ultrasound my pcp said that is was a mild mitro valve prolapse...and that he did not want to put me on medicine because it was mild but he recommended i see a cardiologist...cardiologist read the report of the ultrasound...he did an ekg, stress test, lung test...he said that i should diet,low salt, no caffeine, excercise.. i did let him know that i had a heart murmur when i was born but grew out of that when i was the age of 2...he said that can cause a mitro valve prolapse and that u only notice u have it in ur 20's or 30's when it acts up (palpatations) which i think is weird. since june i have lost over 50lbs...and blood pressure is normal...today january 09 i still see my cardiologist every so often and i explain to him i still have the palpatations everyday...not as bad...but they are a big annoyance...i have not had an ultrasound done since july...and im worried that its getting worse...since the palpatations are not gone...i have them during relaxing watching tv or when im moving around with the kids...or i have them right before i burp....does anyone know if burping or gas pockets have anything to do with this???? i can out burp a many people big time...they are long and loud burps....i mean i really feel i should get a second opinion...because im tired of having these palpatations they make me nervous and i have 2 kids that im with all the time....any suggestions????

Interesting. I think the digestive system is somehow related to heart palpitations even though I have not heard this from my heart doctor. I too sometimes have to burp (but not loud like you) when I feel a palpitation coming on. I was diagnosed last year with a hiatal hernia. I feel that the hernia is somewhat affecting a nerve near the heart, which in turn triggers my palpations. Maybe Im am off-base but my doctor has not given me an answer. He says since i only have 40 palpitations every 100,000 heart beats, it's benign, nothing to worry about.
Except to me it is very annoying as you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness