U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,101,983 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse a few years ago. I can't say that I noticed any daily palpitations, but I did have two "episodes" (10 years apart) when my heart went berserk. The first time, it was a flutter and the second time it was clunking randomly around in my chest.

Exact same thing happened to me GoldenMom7500. My heart went into what is known as atrial fibrillation with a ventricular response (RVR) two separate times, once in 1989 and once in 2003. Both were brought on by stree and sudden exertion. Both corrected on their own. I was diagnosed with a mitral valve prolapse in 2002. Yes I do have pvcs and no, a lot of times they happen and I am not aware of them. A lot of things can bring them on, caffeine, stress, over-tired, exertion, medications. Your doctor says that there is nothing out of the ordinary but now that you know you have them you are much more aware of them. If the doctor has checked and said everything is okay, I wouldn't be too concerned. They are more commonplace than you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM

8,205 posts, read 4,508,532 times
Old home remedies include drinking 100 percent real grape juice.
I am not sure how valid it is...but it helped stop mine a few years back.
(Or maybe they just stopped on their own, idk).

Moderator cut: off topic in this forum, we have Alt Med for this

Why do i keep getting heart palpitations? - Yahoo! Answers

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-22-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,697 times
Thumbs up heart flutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Does anyone else have heart palpitations? I have had them off and on for the past 10 years (I'm in my early 30's), but have had them every day for one year now, whereas in the past they would come and go every few years.

I was diagnosed with PVCs, which stands for pre-ventricular contractions. What it feels like is your heart pausing or skipping a beat, and then beating very strongly--a thud. I went to the cardiologist complaining of this and I got a holter monitor, which shows what's going on for a 24-hour period. I also got an echocardiogram and an EKG. Anyhow, all these things were normal except for the PVCs.

I'm wondering how other people who have them deal with them. There is no medication that is right for me, because with a normal echo and no history of heart disease in the family, these are usually not treated.

However, they are very bothersome, and some days I feel them several times a minute, whereas other days I just feel 20 or so per day. Sometimes they make me feel anxious, and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with that.

I am also wondering how others feel them during exercise.
I too have been having this issue on and off for years, and during research accidentally found out some of my other health issues may contribute to this problem. You can not ignore it and feeling anxious makes it worse, so understanding it may help at least I'm hoping. I've had the EKG and halter in my 30s which showed nothing, I had another EKG at 50 and still no problems found. As I get older it scares me because I have asthma, sinus issues, & sleep apnea. Sleep Apnea concerns me the most because Ive most likely have had this since my 30s but didn't know about it till 2007. Sinus problems and asthma meds can make your heart flutter and beat fast for no reason. I find that it happens while I'm just watching TV, or laying in Bed reading. I've taken my dogs out for a walk and feel find but go sit with them on the grass and my heart starts acting up? As I read articles online I become more confused but still plan to take all this info to my next DR appt. That's all we can do, but worrying will not help so I'm trying not to do that too much.

Good Luck, stay Proactive

Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 PM

15,687 posts, read 32,444,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindrirune View Post
I too have been having this issue on and off for years, and during research accidentally found out some of my other health issues may contribute to this problem. You can not ignore it and feeling anxious makes it worse, so understanding it may help at least I'm hoping. I've had the EKG and halter in my 30s which showed nothing, I had another EKG at 50 and still no problems found. As I get older it scares me because I have asthma, sinus issues, & sleep apnea. Sleep Apnea concerns me the most because Ive most likely have had this since my 30s but didn't know about it till 2007. Sinus problems and asthma meds can make your heart flutter and beat fast for no reason. I find that it happens while I'm just watching TV, or laying in Bed reading. I've taken my dogs out for a walk and feel find but go sit with them on the grass and my heart starts acting up? As I read articles online I become more confused but still plan to take all this info to my next DR appt. That's all we can do, but worrying will not help so I'm trying not to do that too much.

Good Luck, stay Proactive
Lots of us have this issue, unfortunately. I have had this for a while. Now I am diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and have no idea if this has anything to do with it of not. Sometimes it seems like it's my digestive system causing it. And I don't have it all the time - it comes and goes, it's worse with my bad allergies (which never lets up) and digestive problems. I sometimes feel like I could pass out - at the very least I feel sick or uncomfortable when it is happening. I wake up every day and wonder if my heart will beat normal that day..... Good luck to us all!

Old 08-01-2013, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 926 times
I have had heart palpitations for over 10 yrs can go for 3 years and not have any, agree you need to keep hydrated it does help prevent them. Also when having palpitations drink a glass of COLD water it does in some cases stop it, my cardiologist said it excites the nerve probably the vagus nerve. Also I suffer from GORD so eat my main meal with carbs in the middle of the day and a light meal, no carbs at night and early, that also helps.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 AM

74,995 posts, read 87,429,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzer45 View Post
I have had heart palpitations for over 10 yrs can go for 3 years and not have any, agree you need to keep hydrated it does help prevent them. Also when having palpitations drink a glass of COLD water it does in some cases stop it, my cardiologist said it excites the nerve probably the vagus nerve. Also I suffer from GORD so eat my main meal with carbs in the middle of the day and a light meal, no carbs at night and early, that also helps.
I rarely have problems anymore, but I still do once in awhile. About 6 years ago I had an ablation or as I tell people, I had my heart re-wired. It solved the problem for the most part, but I still have some problems. I too, was told the cold glass of water would help and it seems to work.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM

15,687 posts, read 32,444,363 times
I have recently started acupuncture for various issues. He noted my irregular pulse, and he told me it is extremely common. I think maybe it's something that comes with aging. My MIL has it too, and apparently her doctor doesn't think it's an issue, mine doesn't either.

I seem to have more problems when I don't sleep well, and when my arthritis is acting up. Also, the acupuncture doctor said my digestion is weak (which I already thought) so hopefully the treatment will help things.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 34,044 times
This may not apply to lots of people but I thought I should post this just in case it helps someone. All of a sudden I had heart palpitations and felt like my heart was up in my throat most of the time. I couldn't sleep because it kept me awake. Felt like my heart was flipping around in my chest like a fish. This went on for months, maybe even up to a year. My doctor thought it was possibly MVP so I had an echocardiogram and EKG and it came back normal. Finally after thinking I must be going crazy I self diagnosed myself. My husband & I went on a cruise and I noticed during that time away from my home that my heart didn't do it as much. I'm thinking "What is it at home that might be causing this ??!! After really thinking hard about it I decided it must be the CAT LITTER !!!! I now use some kind made with corn husks or some kind that doesn't have all of the dust in it. Within a week after changing it I was back to my old self. I think the kind that I am using now is "World's best cat litter" if I remember right. By the way don't know if age has any bearing but I am almost 65 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness