U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 AM

69 posts, read 285,190 times

Advertisements

So, I recently was told by the gynocologist that she is fairly positive that I have endometriosis. She had an ultra sound done on me to check and make sure it wasn't anything more serious. That all came back fine but it took me a week to get the results and they only informed me of them after I called THEM three times and they never returned my call until the last time. They said there was nothing else wrong and then left it at that and did absolutely nothing about the endometriosis. Is there something I should do, should I get another doctor to get treatment of some kind? She told me there was some type of shot that can help, but then never went through with actually helping me with the pain it causes me. I've tried taking every over the couter pain reliever you can think of and none of them help. Does anyone here have this and know what I should do? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,674,570 times
My gynocologist thought I might have had this but I had a laproscopy done not an ultrasound. It turned it out I had cysts not endometriosis. If I were you and my doctor was not addressing my concerns I would get a second opinion.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
My gynocologist thought I might have had this but I had a laproscopy done not an ultrasound. It turned it out I had cysts not endometriosis. If I were you and my doctor was not addressing my concerns I would get a second opinion.
See it's the opposite with me...they first though I had a cyst on my ovary so they did the ultra sound and there wasn't so they were positive it's endometriosis.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,674,570 times
My doc said the only way they could tell for sure was by actually looking inside at the lining of the uterus. I wish I could help more.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
My doc said the only way they could tell for sure was by actually looking inside at the lining of the uterus. I wish I could help more.
Yeah and that's what I found out while doing my own research, but my doctor just doesn't do anything and it was really irritating so I flat out said to her face that maybe I should just find a different, more competant doctor. Harsh, maybe, but it's frustrating when they don't even attept to help, ya know? But thank you for your help, I'm definitely going to get a second opinion as soon as I get insurance at my new job because I'm moving out of state in days.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM

89 posts, read 502,308 times
I was researching this topic just today because a friend of mine may have Endometriosis. All of the sites that I looked at, some very reputable sources say that you CANNOT diagnose Endometriosis without a laproscopy(excuse my spelling if that is incorrect). A cat scan, MRI, or ultrasound are not going to give a clear result. You should get a second opinion!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,128,592 times
I used to work for a holistic health doctor when I learned that I had endometriosis. I went for the surgery, and then he said that he wished I had listened to him and taken certain vitamins and mentioned how he was able to cure one of his patients that had it. I wish I had listened too. I am not sure what vitamin/mineral, etc. regiment he put her on. I know it had high dosages of A, but other than that I don't know.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 AM

436 posts, read 655,016 times
Endometriosis is a conditions which uterine cells are ejected into the abdomen in a situation called retrograde menstruation. These cells adhere to pelvic organs or the pelvic walls and subsequently cause the associated pain.

in reports from Cedars- Sinai hospital, there is no cure currently, although some medications will help reduce this conditions painful tendency, and shrink some of the implants. This condition, however, is not so far linked to any vitamin deficiency.

The diagnosis, mostly confirmed during laparoscopy, can be made through MRI, CAT scans, ultrasound or pelvic exam. Looking into the uterus does not give a pelvic endometriosis confirmation, as that is done through hysteroscopy, not laparoscopy. One cannot view the abdomen through hysteroscopic methods. All one sees is the internal lining of the uterus (endometrium).

If seen laparoscopically. the implants are usually cauterized by electrosurgical methods, or with a laser.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 AM

Thank you for the information everyone! I am starting to understand endometriosis more now. Does anyone know if this is a heriditary condition? I know my cousin and my aunt on my dad's side have it and my grandma on my mom's side had it...and they thought my mom's sister might too but they never did the surgery to find out.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM

436 posts, read 655,016 times
People with endometriosis do usually have daughters who suffer from the same disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness