Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
Society tells us we are nothing. We may try to feel good about ourselves but the media, advertisers, popular culture and employers tells us middle aged people are nothing. 50 is the new 70!
Well, if you believe what you think they're telling you, then you ARE 70. Personally, I'm a 45-yr-old woman who looks and acts in my early 30s. Screw what the media says, I'm hot and I'm young and I'm healthy and I can do whatever I want. You go be 70 if you want. I'll stay in my 30s for another 20 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Well, I'm 53 and don't feel much different than I did 10 or 20 years ago. I know I look a bit different, especially in hair (loss) department, but can't change that and it's doesn't bother me. I just cut my remaining hair real short and get on with life. I'm 6' 1" and 185 lb, same size as 10 years ago. I have become more aware of a few aches now and then and know my limitations, but nothing that bothers me. I can't remember when I was sick the last time. I bike commute to work almost every work day about 25 miles round trip on average, adding up to about 5000 miles a year. Sometimes I go jogging on the trails in the nearby hills. On Tuesday I jogged about 8 miles that was nearly all uphill or downhill for about 90 minutes, and felt just fine afterwards. 50s, 60s or 70s doesn't mean sitting around in the lazy boy chair.
Yeah, I'm older than most co-workers now, but a few of my co-workers are in their mid 60s. I work in the high tech engineering world, and tech has changed a lot in my career so it's not easy to keep up with things. But my employer likes my work, they value people who have the big picture of things, and pay quite well. All of my younger co-workers miss several days a month for either illness or some personal problem (including my boss) and they all evaporate on Friday several hours before regular quitting time. So I've got several things working in my favor, nobody gives me any trouble. I don't have anyone working for me, it's a very interesting but not high stress job.

Of course the broadcast TV programs are mostly geared to a younger audience. Hasn't it always been that way? Just tune in to Turner Classic Movies or American Classic Movies to see your fav movies from years back and you feel like a kid again.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,195 times
Default You are missing the point and living in denial

I think all of you are missing the point. I believe that many of you believe that you are physically and mentally well at age 50+ but we are all affected by a media and popular culture that is more and more youth centric. People much over 45 are nothing in our culture. The American culture is very media centric and while some of you think you can ignore American culture distaste for the people over 50, you really cant. It has an effect on all of us because of how people treat us as a result. The media, television and advertising industry speak for America and change perceptions of how we look at things.

This is especially true in the work place. Age discrimination is a serious problem today and getting worse. As the average age of people in America continues to climb the average worker in most corporate settings keeps getting younger. Even in the Presidential race the younger candidates are doing better now with both front runners now under 50. Experience means very little now days, youth does.

The middle aged person is now more marginalized than ever before. This has affected the health and well being of all of us middle aged baby boomers if we want to admit it or not.

Last edited by questioner2; 01-04-2008 at 06:42 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post

The middle aged person is now more marginalized than ever before. This has affected the health and well being of all of us middle aged baby boomers if we want to admit it or not.
Hmm. Could be.
Maybe it's the best thing that ever happened to us, though.
Rather than be the center of attention, I think at this point I'd prefer to begin my own quietly subversive middleaged subculture.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:37 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
I'm hearing your point,but I don't agree with your point.I do not feel affected by the media or pop culture.In fact,the more these young,unintelligent,actors are arrested,go to rehab, etc,I think it shows what morons they are! I'm not sure why you keep saying that the health and well being of ALL of us is being affected.Clearly,several of us just stated that we are better than ever in our 50's.And frankly,the Presidential candidates are voted for on their views and platforms,not because of their age.And in my work place when I was still there in my late 40's,my age and experience were greatly looked up to and appreciated.Maybe this is all in YOUR mind!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I'm hearing your point,but I don't agree with your point.I do not feel affected by the media or pop culture.In fact,the more these young,unintelligent,actors are arrested,go to rehab, etc,I think it shows what morons they are! I'm not sure why you keep saying that the health and well being of ALL of us is being affected.Clearly,several of us just stated that we are better than ever in our 50's.And frankly,the Presidential candidates are voted for on their views and platforms,not because of their age.And in my work place when I was still there in my late 40's,my age and experience were greatly looked up to and appreciated.Maybe this is all in YOUR mind!
I agree. I've seen it before with others that are getting up there in age and I can honestly say their attitudes age them more quickly than anything else. I believe the older you get the more work it may take to stay fit, but isn't it worth it? We have physicians in my workplace that are in their 50's and are running NY marathons and say they feel better now than they did in their 30's. Must be something to what were talking about, don't ya think?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Personally, the fact that my 23-yr-old son's friends keep hitting on me is reason enough to believe that at 45...I'm not old.

Who cares what the media says?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
I don't believe anyone is denying the reality that we are getting older. That would be foolish. The difference is, we aren't getting old. Oh sure, the body might not bounce back as quickly, we may have to color our hair, slather on a little extra moisterizer for the lines, work a little harder at keeping ourselves in reasonable shape, but the point is we're not throwing in the towel. Looks to me like most everyone on this thread is agreement, we "ain't" going down without a fight! It doesn't mean we're not realistic, we just simply are going to do everything we can to get all that we can from life. I figure I get one shot, and I'd better make it count! Personally, I don't give a rat's backside what the media says, and I wouldn't be in my teens or twenties again, for all the tea in China! I believe that the experience and wisdom that we, hopefully, gain over the years, makes up for those lines and gray hair. And, if that's living in denial, well, it's not so bad. I'm not going to beat my head against a brick wall about something that I can't change, anyway. I'd rather expend my energy in more postive ways.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I don't believe anyone is denying the reality that we are getting older. That would be foolish. The difference is, we aren't getting old. Oh sure, the body might not bounce back as quickly, we may have to color our hair, slather on a little extra moisterizer for the lines, work a little harder at keeping ourselves in reasonable shape, but the point is we're not throwing in the towel. Looks to me like most everyone on this thread is agreement, we "ain't" going down without a fight! It doesn't mean we're not realistic, we just simply are going to do everything we can to get all that we can from life. I figure I get one shot, and I'd better make it count! Personally, I don't give a rat's backside what the media says, and I wouldn't be in my teens or twenties again, for all the tea in China! I believe that the experience and wisdom that we, hopefully, gain over the years, makes up for those lines and gray hair. And, if that's living in denial, well, it's not so bad. I'm not going to beat my head against a brick wall about something that I can't change, anyway. I'd rather expend my energy in more postive

ways.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/jeannie216/clapping.gif (broken link)

well said CelticLady, thank you...and on that note, I think I'm retiring myself from this thread. Have to pick my battles you know.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Some days I feel some aches and pains more than others but all in all.....

I just turned 56 a couple of weeks ago. I don't dress like an old lady, I don't go to old lady places. I don't THINK old. My same age friends, and older, are not "old". We have fun, we party, we go on vacations. I have pets that keep me going, I have a BF that is 12 years younger and I have to stick pins in him to get him going.

Lately, it's been dawning on me that 60 is just around the corner. What am I supposed to do or feel like in another 4 years? Heck, hopefully have even more fun! By the time I can retire, I hope to still be hopping around and getting to all those parties and places I can't get to yet as frequently as I'd like to.

I think if you think that your chronological age is "supposed" to determine what you should look like, think like and act like, then it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness