Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:25 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times

Advertisements

Elderly wife with dementia has fecal incontinence. Pubic hairs complicate cleaning her. Afraid to shave her with a blade as she's on a blood thinner, and electric shaver cannot grab the longish hairs. Nair makes a "bikini" depilatory. Do you think that this product would be effective as well as non-irritable? If not, is there any type of vaginal depilatory that you could recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I feel for you, but that's not a good thread title - you're looking for a way to remove public hair (vaginas don't have hair). Can you use scissors? And NO, Nair is for the bikini line (what shows outside your swimsuit/underwear) - NOT for the entire area - it's a very harsh product.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Call a quality nursing home and talk to the director of nursing. As for help, suggestions, etc.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:40 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times
You might get some useful responses by posting this in the Caregiving forum.
And I agree, "vaginal" hair is misleading, the title needs to be changed if you do repost it.

If you do want to try scissors, safety-tip scissors like these are widely available in drugstores and pet stores.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
A trimmer like you'd use on a man's beard will work. You don't want to shave her bare, because even if you don't nick her with the razor, she'll end up with itchy ingrown hairs. But a trimmer with a guard on it that leaves a little bit of hair will thin out the hair and make cleanup easier.

This is the kind of trimmer that I'm talking about: Lithium Power Series All In One Grooming Kits | Remington Products The mens ones are built to last longer than the ladies ones. My husband has a trimmer he's used for about 10 years. He doesn't know it, but my daughter steals it to trim her pubes because it works better than the little pink trimmer we bought her.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:35 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I feel for you, but that's not a good thread title - you're looking for a way to remove public hair (vaginas don't have hair). Can you use scissors? And NO, Nair is for the bikini line (what shows outside your swimsuit/underwear) - NOT for the entire area - it's a very harsh product.
The "public hair?" Isn't that what shows outside your swimsuit/underwear?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:51 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
Nair works fine (and is made for) pubic hair, all of it, not just in the groin area. My concern would be that if left on too long, it can irritate the skin. What is too long for me is probably a lot longer than what is too long for an elderly person with delicate skin. And of course if it got onto the softer tissues beyond the hair line, would be very irritating.

I work in healthcare and our nursing staff manage to keep patients clean without hair removal, so I'm not really following what the problem is. Is she being changed frequently enough? Is she having a chronic problem with loose stool? I would be concerned that if she is getting frequent BM in her vaginal area, she may be at greater risk for a urinary tract infection and possibly other concerns. You may want to discuss this with her primary care provider.

Having said that, if it is a problem, I agree with Hedgehog_mom. I would consider getting a hair trimmer, and trim the hair on the shortest setting. Surely the area could be kept clean with the presence of short hairs. And this would almost completely eliminate the risk of skin irritation or cuts.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:40 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Is she being changed frequently enough? Is she having a chronic problem with loose stool? I would be concerned that if she is getting frequent BM in her vaginal area, she may be at greater risk for a urinary tract infection and possibly other concerns. You may want to discuss this with her primary care provider.
She is bed-ridden, spending her time in a hospital bed that's set up in the living room, alternating with a special tilt chair. She has a urinary catheter due to urinary incontinence, although half of her urinary output escapes the catheter due to bladder spasms. But I digress.

The subject of this thread concerns fecal incontinence and her caregiver's problem with removing stool from pubic hairs. Lying on her back or side, or sitting in a tilt chair, the waste material migrates into the pubic area and requires extra effort to clean. If that area were stripped of hair, the caregiver's job of cleaning would be easier.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:04 PM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
I would use a man's electric razor that is used for beards. Nair can burn. Especially at her age w already fragile skin.

There is also laser hair removal which might be considered. She would probably have to go to an office though and it would be painful.

Good luck. Very sorry for your situation.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:45 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Elderly wife with dementia has fecal incontinence. Pubic hairs complicate cleaning her. Afraid to shave her with a blade as she's on a blood thinner, and electric shaver cannot grab the longish hairs. Nair makes a "bikini" depilatory. Do you think that this product would be effective as well as non-irritable? If not, is there any type of vaginal depilatory that you could recommend?
Get a trimmer, you can get it in any drugstore in the same aisle with the shavers and hair dryers, etc. The kind men use to trim their beards and mustaches or the back of their hairlines (see below). Do NOT use a depilatory on her down there, it is bascially like acid and is not meant to be used there. Also do not shave her too short, especially near the "openings". Hair is there for a reason, it is there to keep bacteria etc out of the vaginal area, and if you take all the hair off you may make her more vulnerable to infection, UTI's, etc. Trim near her anal area so you can clean her thoroughly but also make sure you are showering her regularly. Look for a shower seat that has a hole under so you can clean her very well without her needing to stand too long.

Grooming System, All‑In‑One, Cordl...
$19.99
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness