Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wash your hands after visiting the restroom?
Yes 168 88.89%
No 21 11.11%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I do have to laugh that many people wash their hands, but some don't. Of those who do wash their hands they then throw out the paper towel then touch the door handle (think those who don't wash their hands). I've always said they need a garbage can on the outside of the door. I always use my paper towel and look for a garbage can.

What is this doing in the politics anyway?
This forum is also for "other controversies."

What I do is try to stick to touching things, touching my face, shaking hands, eating finger foods, etc. with my right hand whenever possible and use my left hand to open the door, to turn the faucet off if needed, and to use the paper towel dispenser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 11:20 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
This forum is also for "other controversies."

What I do is try to stick to touching things, touching my face, shaking hands, eating finger foods, etc. with my right hand whenever possible and use my left hand to open the door, to turn the faucet off if needed, and to use the paper towel dispenser.
we're lucky at work, we have electric eye faucets....however, when ever I use the restroom out in public, and go to wash my hands, I stand at the wash bowel for a few minutes waiting for the water to come on, until I realize, they don't have electric eyes....lol

When I was a young girl and waitressed, I heard so many people say, "we judge a restaurant, by the cleanliness of the rest room". And that is so true. there is one that comes to mind always that is so immaculate (spelling?)and smells so clean, and that is the ladies room at Shady Maple, in Lancaster...Wow, do they ever do a good job. But yes, if I walk into a ladies room and its dirty, that will be the last time I eat at that place.

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Four years ago, the society sponsored a study to see how often people take time for soap and water in restrooms. Researchers stood around, endlessly combing their hair or putting on makeup, while watching what people did. Or didn’t do.

They found that about one-third of Americans skipped washing. So the society sponsored a “clean hands campaign” to educate folks about the importance of hand washing in stopping the spread of colds, diarrhea and other infectious diseases.

Study: Americans Don't Wash Their Hands Enough - ABC News

sheesh 1/3 don't wash their hands

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I hold onto the paper towel I use to dry my hands and open the door with it.

I like the doors that have the "safe escape" things at the bottom, where you hook your foot on it and open the door that way.
If there is no garbage bin near the door for me to dispose of the papertowel after I opened the door, I toss it on the floor, near the door. I read recently that if enough people do this the establishment will get the clue and put a bin there for you to use.

On a related note, I will not use a hand dryer. After working in a hospital and taking training on how to wash hands, dry them etc. I realised that all a hand dryer does is spread germs. If no paper towels are available, I air dry.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:23 AM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes. I'm disgusted when I see people not doing so.
Especially the guy preparing your food

Old 12-12-2014, 11:24 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
Yes.

I wash my hands thoroughly with hot soap and water for several minutes. Assuming there is soap and water, I HAVE and WILL ALWAYS wash my hands.

If there isn't either of the two in the restroom, luckily I have the bath and body works sanipaks sanitizers on my keychain. But my goal is always soap and water.

And I never touch door handles without using either a towel, or some sort of disposable tissue, to open the restroom door.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Like someone else said--it depends on the restroom.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Especially the guy preparing your food
At the same time, You are wary of all the people that push on the hand sanitizer dispenser.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Four years ago, the society sponsored a study to see how often people take time for soap and water in restrooms. Researchers stood around, endlessly combing their hair or putting on makeup, while watching what people did. Or didn’t do.

They found that about one-third of Americans skipped washing. So the society sponsored a “clean hands campaign” to educate folks about the importance of hand washing in stopping the spread of colds, diarrhea and other infectious diseases.

Study: Americans Don't Wash Their Hands Enough - ABC News

sheesh 1/3 don't wash their hands
it is pretty pathetic when you think about it, isn't it?

Old 12-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If there is no garbage bin near the door for me to dispose of the papertowel after I opened the door, I toss it on the floor, near the door. I read recently that if enough people do this the establishment will get the clue and put a bin there for you to use.

On a related note, I will not use a hand dryer. After working in a hospital and taking training on how to wash hands, dry them etc. I realised that all a hand dryer does is spread germs. If no paper towels are available, I air dry.
thanks for offering that....I didn't know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness