Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times

Advertisements

I am having my annual on Thursday. This time it's with a female GYN, hopefully it makes a difference.

For the last 8 years I've been complaining to my GYNs about extreme heavy bleeding (a box of super tampons for a 3 day period), dropping mostly blood clots during my period, and extreme cramps. Everytime the doctor has brushed off my concerns with "Oh it's probably just fibroids, nothing to worry about." One seemed slightly concerned when I mentioned my husband and I had unprotected sex for about 5 years with no pregnancies, then just brushed that off as well. I've been on DEPO for the last 4 years to stop my period, so that I can function in life. They are going to take me off of it next year and I'll be back to these horrible periods.
Since I have a history of blood clots, and even a remenent of one in my lower right leg, BC pills and the Nuva Ring are out as ways to control my periods.

I'm going to ask for an ultrasound to make sure that is just fibroids and not something a little more serious. Does anyone have ideas or questions so that my GYN will listen to me this year and not just brush off my concerns? Should I hold her hostage or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I am having my annual on Thursday. This time it's with a female GYN, hopefully it makes a difference.

For the last 8 years I've been complaining to my GYNs about extreme heavy bleeding (a box of super tampons for a 3 day period), dropping mostly blood clots during my period, and extreme cramps. Everytime the doctor has brushed off my concerns with "Oh it's probably just fibroids, nothing to worry about." One seemed slightly concerned when I mentioned my husband and I had unprotected sex for about 5 years with no pregnancies, then just brushed that off as well. I've been on DEPO for the last 4 years to stop my period, so that I can function in life. They are going to take me off of it next year and I'll be back to these horrible periods.
Since I have a history of blood clots, and even a remenent of one in my lower right leg, BC pills and the Nuva Ring are out as ways to control my periods.

I'm going to ask for an ultrasound to make sure that is just fibroids and not something a little more serious. Does anyone have ideas or questions so that my GYN will listen to me this year and not just brush off my concerns? Should I hold her hostage or something?
Demand the tests and if she doesn't do them find another doctor. It is you body and you know it better than anyone else. You can always say that if it is fibroids you want to have them removed because it affects you life too much. Stress how you can not function in you daily life when you have your period.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Based solely on your two symptoms of having extremely heavy periods and not being able to get pregnant despite having unprotected sex for 5 years I would ask the OBGYN to look into hormonal imbalance, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids.

Do your periods occur at regular intervals?

Look up the possible causes for Menorrhagia (heavy periods), PCOS, Fibroids, etc to see if you have any other symptoms. That way you can provide your OBGYN with as much information possible to narrow down what is going on.

Tell your OBGYN that you have been trying to get answers for the past 8 years and want to get to the bottom of this rather then just continuing to treat the symptoms with depo. Good luck. I hate it when Dr's brush off our concerns. It's very frustrating.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 AM

93 posts, read 457,402 times
Keep looking for a doctor who will listen. I know it's no fun repeating your history and being examined by numerous doctors, but I went to several (including a woman in a woman's practice - she was the worst!) who never really listened. I finally went to one highly recommended by several people in my office and it made all the difference.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
Have you ever had an ultrasound? I'd suggest you talk the Dr. into one.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Based solely on your two symptoms of having extremely heavy periods and not being able to get pregnant despite having unprotected sex for 5 years I would ask the OBGYN to look into hormonal imbalance, PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids.

Do your periods occur at regular intervals?

Look up the possible causes for Menorrhagia (heavy periods), PCOS, Fibroids, etc to see if you have any other symptoms. That way you can provide your OBGYN with as much information possible to narrow down what is going on.

Tell your OBGYN that you have been trying to get answers for the past 8 years and want to get to the bottom of this rather then just continuing to treat the symptoms with depo. Good luck. I hate it when Dr's brush off our concerns. It's very frustrating.
My periods occur at semi-regular intervals, sometimes 20 days sometimes 30, at least when I'm not on Depo. I'll look into the other things as well, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Have you ever had an ultrasound? I'd suggest you talk the Dr. into one.
That's what I've been trying to get for the last 8 years, just to try and determine what's wrong. I can't even get someone to do an ultrasound and that's a pretty non-invasive test. It's not like they have to give me a local or anything to perform one.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
My experience is that female Gyns are much more sympathetic. All you can do is try, and maybe let her know you've been very frustrated in the past. Hopefully she will listen, especially if you tell her you want to know the root cause more than treat the symptoms.

I can't see any reason why she wouldn't allow the ultrasound, and oh, by the way, fibroids are not "nothing to worry about" - there is a serious quality of life issue at stake. I had one small fibroid and a polyp and it got so I was debilitated for at least one week a month. I think you deserve to know what the issues at stake are.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm24 View Post
Keep looking for a doctor who will listen. I know it's no fun repeating your history and being examined by numerous doctors, but I went to several (including a woman in a woman's practice - she was the worst!) who never really listened. I finally went to one highly recommended by several people in my office and it made all the difference.
Yeah, I haven't had the same GYN in the last 8 years, because they won't listen. I've tried both the hospitals here in town and Planned Parenthood. There are only a few GYN's left for me to try before I have to start out of town. I remember a few years ago I went to 7 different doctors, all wanting a PAP, but not one of them willing to do even an ultrasound! I'm starting to think that doctors just don't care anymore.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
My experience is that female Gyns are much more sympathetic. All you can do is try, and maybe let her know you've been very frustrated in the past. Hopefully she will listen, especially if you tell her you want to know the root cause more than treat the symptoms.

I can't see any reason why she wouldn't allow the ultrasound
I agree. I had heavy, painful periods with lots of clots for years and my OB just dismissed my compaints and put me on high dose of iron due to all the blood I was losing every month(he was through an HMO). When I switched insurances and doctors, the first thing my female gyno asked was why in the world I was taking so much iron. When I told her, she asked when I had my last ultrasound. She about flipped when I told it had been 15+ years (since I was last preggo). She immediately ordered an ultrasound.

Come to find out, I had a mass on one of my ovaries and ended up having to have a hysterectomy.

I don't know why docs are so quick to dismiss period complaints. I would demand an ultrasound and if she won't oblige, find a new doc!

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post

I can't see any reason why she wouldn't allow the ultrasound, and oh, by the way, fibroids are not "nothing to worry about" - there is a serious quality of life issue at stake. I had one small fibroid and a polyp and it got so I was debilitated for at least one week a month. I think you deserve to know what the issues at stake are.
I plan on insisting on an ultrasound on Thursday. I just hope that I won't have to hit her, since my hubby and I can't afford bail.

Tonight I'm going to make a list of my symptoms to take in with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness