U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM

7,295 posts, read 17,559,389 times

Advertisements

My blood pressure is normal but today I went to the dentist for a cleaning and my BP was 117/89.
The hygienist didn't think it was bad but I thought the second number was high.
Maybe she took it wrong or maybe I'm carrying a little more stress right now than usual.
Has this ever happened to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,477,116 times
Sounds like "white coat hypertension" to me. My dad has it - I do monitor his BP at home because he has several risk factors, and the home readings are always fine.

Even though this was one isolated reading, if you could have yours checked outside of a formal office setting, that would be good for reassurance. Also, be sure they are using the correct cuff size for your arm. A "regular" cuff on the arm of a larger person can also give an inflated measurement.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 PM

436 posts, read 653,418 times
Blood pressures always elevates in the presence of an office setting. Unless this is a consistent thing, don't worry about it. It is simply the body's way of demonstrating that it is uncomfortable.

If you are concerned- see your physician.

Personally, with one reading on one visit- I would pass it by.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM

836 posts, read 3,057,986 times
Yikes you sound like your over stressed.. 117/89 is Normal.. If your higher number was over 140 and lower number was 100 or above..or if just your lower number was 100 or above... I would be concerned but you don't have anything to worry about. Besides when you Worry, or get Excited, even walking/ruinning elevates your blood pressure. (Even DRIVING can elevate your bp) then you have cause to worry.. but for now I'd say you will be ok. You can contact your doctor by phone and they will tell you the samething.. Oh and NO I am not a doctor or anything like that but My husband has had 3 heart attacks and the doctor showed me exactly how to check his BP and what to watch for..
And one more thing.. Why would your Dentist check you blood pressure anyways?? I have never heard of this.. Dentist here don't do that specially not for a cleaning.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 PM

2,785 posts, read 8,057,125 times
I have a blood pressure monitor device at home that is supposed to be fairly accurate. I take BP occasionally while sitting very relaxed in a chair that supports my entire body. If I was at a dentist office, that is not where I would want them to check BP. First of all, I'm going to be tense. Second of all, I walk several blocks to the office and that will change the reading. Third, is the person at the dentist office really trained to take BP, do they know all the things that can cause BP to go up and down? I doubt it.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:12 AM

5,006 posts, read 14,112,242 times
it is white coat hypertension. i have had doctors tell me that i need to be on b/p medicine, but i refused, because whenever i went back to my regular doctor that i had known for years my b/p was normal. then one day i was in the emergency room and my b/p was normal. i wanted the guy to leave the b/p thingie on and have it check every 15 minutes. After being there for 9 hours I had two doctors come into the room and my b/p shot up. what was strange was i never felt an emotional reaction to the doctor that entered the room. as soon as he left it went down. i think a of people are on b/p medicine that don't need to be.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:42 AM

436 posts, read 653,418 times
Blood pressure is the force of your blood pushing against the walls of your arteries. Each time your heart beats, it pumps out blood into the arteries. Your blood pressure is highest when your heart beats, pumping the blood. This is called systolic pressure. When your heart is at rest, between beats, your blood pressure falls. This is the diastolic pressure.

Your blood pressure reading uses these two numbers, the systolic and diastolic pressures. Usually they are written one above or before the other. A reading of

120/80 or lower is normal blood pressure
140/90 or higher is high blood pressure

Between120 and 139 for the top number, or between 80 and 89 for the bottom number is prehypertension.

Again, your pressures can vary, depending upon what you are doing, and if you are excited or nervous about something. Unless this becomes a routine reading for you, I ould not worry.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 AM

7,295 posts, read 17,559,389 times
Thanks to you all for your input on this.
The only time I have my BP checked is when I go to the dentist and obgyn and it's always normal so it's not just from being in an office. I've heard normal was 120/80 or even a little below that. I thought it was strange that my second number was so high.
To the poster that wanted to know why a dentist would check blood pressure: It's new to me too. She's the only dentist I've ever been to that checks blood pressure.
I'm not ready to run to a doctor and be put on meds (I don't take any meds) but thought that was a little high for me.
My eating habits are back to normal after the holidays and the only thing I can think of is that I'm stressed out about selling our house and getting it sold but that's something I cannot control so that may be it and maybe not.
Thanks again for your advice.
song

Old 01-05-2008, 02:34 PM

836 posts, read 3,057,986 times
Normal-- below 120 and below 80 below 120/80
This is what they call Normal also--Pre-hypertension 120-139 or 80-89 120/80 - 139/89
Stage 1 High Blood Pressure (hypertension) 140-159 or 90-99 140/90 - 159/99
Stage 2 High Blood Pressure (hypertension) 160+ or 100 + 160/100 +

Average Blood Pressure

For young people – 120/80 mmHg
For old people – 140/90 mmHg

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 AM

1 posts, read 26,971 times
More and more dentists are starting to take BP at dental visits. There are many people walking around that rarely to never go to the doctor for check-ups and have no idea that they have high blood pressure. Since dental settings usually cause people to get nervous and raise their BP, it is the perfect place to keep track of BP because they don't want you to have a stroke or heart attack.
Yes, factors such as cuffs and and knowledge can affect the readings, but never completely dismiss any readings that are high. Just start to monitor it yourself or see your doctor. The top number is your heart at work and the bottom number is your heart at rest. Any elevated number is a concern, but since the top number is more often affected by exercise, posture, stress etc... more often I would be concerned with an elevated lower number because your heart doesn't get rest. (It is beating more times while you are completely at rest, so it is more likely to wear out sooner) I would be happy that your dental office cares about your well-being and checks it. Sounds like they are on their toes. Hope you find that your number goes closer to the normal 80. Just make sure you get some exercise and have fun, to reduce any stress that come and goes in everyone's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness