Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Just a bunch of hogwash, IMO. Capsaiscin is proven to have a ton of health benefits with few, if any, downsides.

Here are some counter views to the OP:
Why spicy food is good for you | Healthy Eating | Best Eats | Best Health
5 Hidden Health Benefits of Spicy Foods - SELF
Is Hot and Spicy Food Good for You? | LIVESTRONG.COM
You took the words right out of my mouth.

This is, of course, purely personal anecdote, but my family is from Louisiana, Texas, and Korea (we have three people from Korea in our immediate family due to marriage and adoption). All three areas are pretty famous for spicy, hot foods and all of us eat very hot foods on a regular basis. No digestive problems or health issues caused by spicy foods for anyone of any age in the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Been eating spicy for years, and no issues. Have a large collection of hot sauces also at home!

Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,200 times
I read somewhere that it causes the release of endorphins.
I love my spices and hot foods.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:12 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,227,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

This is, of course, purely personal anecdote, but my family is from Louisiana, Texas, and Korea (we have three people from Korea in our immediate family due to marriage and adoption). All three areas are pretty famous for spicy, hot foods and all of us eat very hot foods on a regular basis. No digestive problems or health issues caused by spicy foods for anyone of any age in the family.
There's no one right answer, because it's different depending on each person and their constitution. Yes spicy foods ARE good for you in some ways - but can also be bad in others, primarily digestive/gastric issues if you're prone to these. Someone who isn't prone to digestive disorders and isn't sensitive to spicy foods will be fine, but spicy food does irritate the stomach lining, so if you have any tendency towards gastritis, ulcers, GERD, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel disorder, etc., your doctor would probably recommend that you cut down on spicy foods as they will exacerbate the condition. It is proven to worsen heartburn and reflux, and it also irritates your intestines which anyone can attest to who's been forced to run for the nearest restroom after an extra spicy meal at an Indian restaurant

Old 12-21-2014, 03:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly8 View Post
of course bad,but so yammy.
we can`t live forever,so let`s eat what we like
Why of course bad? That isn't accurate.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
especially the extra hot peppers some people eat, does eating something that powerful have any health risks? or is it only temporary?

are hot peppers , chili peppers good for your health?

No. Unless you have a pre-existing condition that precludes spicy food, they are actually good for you.
They release endorphins, rev the metabolism and are packed with vitamans and antioxidants.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
As long as you don't have stomach issues, hot, spicy foods are good for you!

Old 12-21-2014, 05:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I actually have acid reflux, but spice level doesn't seem to exacerbate it. The substances that most often trigger it are deep friend foods and foods with excessive tannins, like strong teas and some red wines. Spicy foods really never trigger reflux for me, unless they are battered and deep fried (here's looking at you, jalapeno poppers), but even then, it's the oil, not the heat, that causes the reflux. Non-fried jalapenos don't cause any trouble for me.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
No. Unless you have a pre-existing condition that precludes spicy food, they are actually good for you.
They release endorphins, rev the metabolism and are packed with vitamans and antioxidants.
This ^^^^^.

We eat a lot of spicy foods from Asian to South American. I love heat..... but not to the point of burn, which for everyone is different. I once had medium heat Thai food.... that literally burn the skin on my lips.

I'm fighting a sinus infection so I am making lots of spicy food... including the wasabi edamame I'm eating now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-21-2014, 05:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Tom yum, tom kha, and pho are the best soups when I have a cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness