Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:17 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Tom yum, tom kha, and pho are the best soups when I have a cold.
When I had the cold before the infection DH went and got me tofu tom yum.... my favorite when sick. I ate the whole thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
especially the extra hot peppers some people eat, does eating something that powerful have any health risks? or is it only temporary?

are hot peppers , chili peppers good for your health?
If BAD for your health, I am SOOOOO screwed! LOL

Old 12-21-2014, 10:20 PM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,977 times
I have eaten hot and spicy my whole life. I've never had any problems with it. I very seldom have colds and when I do, they only last a day or two and that is attributed to the regular eating of hot chiles. No stomach problems at all. I started pulling green chile peppers off of the plants when I was three years old and eating them right then and there. Took my dad a couple of days to figure out what was happening to his chile garden.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:32 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
What will happen if one eats, say, half pound of very hot and spicy chili at once? ...Oh, ok, it may be impossible, as one will not be able to swallow that many strong chili. Guess my point/question is, if somehow you got unreasonably large amount of chili in your stomach, what could happen? You won't die, I guess, but any great harm to your health?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 AM

20 posts, read 18,578 times
Actually if you take anything excessively then it is harmful. So it is good to have in a limited amount.
Extra hot is not bad for health but if you take extra spicy regularly then it is not good for your health. It may cause many problem.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
especially the extra hot peppers some people eat, does eating something that powerful have any health risks? or is it only temporary?

are hot peppers , chili peppers good for your health?
according to what I have read, they are actually good for you because you normally use less salt when you season with hot spices. I don't know if this is true or not.

I think it goes without saying: if they bother your stomach cut back or cut them out, if not enjoy them. Even when I had an ulcer, the doctor told me to eat whatever I enjoyed, but if something seemed to bother me, don't eat it. The main thing was acid foods, not peppers, that often causes problems.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe if your family has been eating that way for hundreds of years you will have developed a genetic tolerance for spicy foods. I'm just guessing here. Most people I know get sick from eating spicy foods. Personally, I would rather taste a food rather than get burned and hurt by it. There are so many other flavors than BURN.
spoken like a true NewEnglander. Living where we do and having a lot of friends from the upper midwest, we have to be very careful what we serve and how much spice. Most we know are not excited about the flavor or hot sauses, peppers, etc. Those of us raised in Ca, AZ, NM or Texas think good and spicey hot are the same thing. The most interesting is the people who do not like spice and were raised in Texas or NM. Yes, we know a few of them as well.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
There's no one right answer, because it's different depending on each person and their constitution. Yes spicy foods ARE good for you in some ways - but can also be bad in others, primarily digestive/gastric issues if you're prone to these. Someone who isn't prone to digestive disorders and isn't sensitive to spicy foods will be fine, but spicy food does irritate the stomach lining, so if you have any tendency towards gastritis, ulcers, GERD, Crohn's disease, irritable bowel disorder, etc., your doctor would probably recommend that you cut down on spicy foods as they will exacerbate the condition. It is proven to worsen heartburn and reflux, and it also irritates your intestines which anyone can attest to who's been forced to run for the nearest restroom after an extra spicy meal at an Indian restaurant
As pertains to gastritis, GERD and many other gut problems, this is most an old wive's tale that late 20th century research has determined mostly false.

Have a stomach ailment? Kimchi will help, not hurt.

The problem with most North American diets (and doctors who don't keep up) is that the "spicy" is more often than not combined with something that actually does irritate your stomach lining - like alcohol, lots of transfat or gluten (flour tortillas) if one is sensitive to that.

Whereas foods like onions, garlic, mint and peppers used to be verboten for anyone with stomach ailments, it is now generally accepted that flavonoids within those foods actually help stimulate the stomach lining to protect itself. There is no longer a need for a bland diet - one would do better to watch fats, processed foods and more than anything, manage stress.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenaHoward View Post
Actually if you take anything excessively then it is harmful. So it is good to have in a limited amount.
Extra hot is not bad for health but if you take extra spicy regularly then it is not good for your health. It may cause many problem.
No...spicy food will not cause problems. Some people that do have problems may wish to avoid spicy foods (others never seem to notice a difference) but spirit y good will not cause the problem.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I suppose with anything, too much is not good, but hot peppers are full of vitamins and anti-oxidants. They also have capsaicin which is supposedly a helpful weight-loss property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness