U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 PM

613 posts, read 1,028,831 times

Advertisements

Thanks for posting this!!! I am a big believer too. Grass-fed beef, butter, ghee, fish, no hydros, stay away from refined factory foods, and get some exercise already... it's really not that hard. Like the saying goes, I trust cows far more than chemists...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:48 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,691,841 times
I still want to know WHY the use of hydrogenated oil is still allowed! They know it is bad for you and you are constantly hearing everywhere to avoid it but yet it is still being put in everything.. The movement to stop the use trans fats had it greatly reduced in our food but it is STILL in there and I have to ask WHY? What's the deal with that and the hydrogenated oil still being allowed? What is it going to take to stop the use of ANY of it in the foods they make?

The fact that is is still allowed sends me a clear message.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 AM

12,576 posts, read 13,711,385 times
The problem is people in general consume too much saturated fat and this becomes a problem as you get older. I've been going to a nutritionist to get my cholsterol under control by dieting because I refuse to take meds unless absolutely necessary.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM

12,576 posts, read 13,711,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I have quit using man made margarine and replaced it with butter. It is when you get into the man made stuff that you have a problem. I remember my grandmother put butter in everything she cooked and loaded up her bread with it. She also saved all her bacon grease and use to dip her biscuit in it and ate that for breakfast every morning and did that almost all her life. She had fried chicken (cooked in real lard) every Sunday. She lived to be in her 80's or 90's and never had any heart problems.

What gets me is back in the 80's, I had a dietician tell me to stay away from Hydrogenated Oils. She told me to read the lables and look for the word "Hydrogenated", if it was there AVOID that food. They knew that long ago that it was bad but kept it quiet and continued to let it be used in the foods we eat. When all this started, they would make "fat free" foods that had Hydrogenated Oils in it and it was ALLOWED! It really makes me wonder if this problem was created to get us where we are today.

I have never doubted we are their test subjects for everything new they come up with. I no longer buy into the "new and improved" scam of their latest creations for us. This whole high cholesterol business is just that.... a BUSINESS to make money for a select few.

In December, USA Today had the Lipitor ad, a full page and a half ad. In their own ad they said in their study, the placebo group had a 3% heart attack rate. The group on Lipitor had a 2% heart attack rate. I caught that immediately!! You only have a 1% edge over the people who do not take man made chemicals with serious side effects for a lot of people and some side effects KILL you! (They failed to mention those numbers in their ad) I had to laugh and what a joke is being played on us and there they had it in full print for the world to see! The stuff is advertised to PREVENT heart attacks, making one think if you take it you will never have a heart attack and here they are saying that just is not so in their own ad.

Also, on the news in December, they made the announcement that Omega 3 Fish Oil HAS BEEN PROVEN to prevent heart attacks. So, you can buy expensive man made chemical drugs that have side effects and have only a 1% chance over those taking nothing OR, you can take something nature provided that is cheap, with no side effects with the knolage that it will safely give you the desired result. They also announced that Omega 3 prevents Alzheimers..... statin drugs causes Alzheimers like symptoms in some who take it. Add it up, it's a no brainer for me!
Not to mention those, like a friend of mine, who treat cholesterol meds like a "get out of jail free" card & continue their poor dietary habits.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM

9,444 posts, read 15,756,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
The Truth About Saturated Fat - Articles

It is just as I have always thought, and is the reason why I eat and bake with butter to this very day:
Although I don't go on Mercola's sites, this articles is right on.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 37,346,549 times
Here's a large study of over 347,000 people following them for 5 to 23 years showed that there's correlation of saturated fat and Stroke or CVD.

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1/13/2010

Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 37,346,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
there's correlation of saturated fat and Stroke or CVD.
I mean't to type ''no'' correlation as i left that out

Sorry about that
6/3

Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 PM

3,900 posts, read 3,993,643 times
We should have NEVER gotten rid of lard in the kitchen. Shortenings are worse for you and taste worse too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness