Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:09 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No one here is claiming that people should eliminate any/all salt from their diets. There's no dispute that "we all need to just refrain from salt." THAT is a strawman and you're basing your opinion on something no one is claiming.
We don't ALL need to refrain from salt. That IS the dispute. Sodium must be kept in balance with potassium.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
There is no dispute, because no one is claiming that ANYONE needs to refrain from salt. NO ONE needs to refrain from salt. SOME people need to cut down on it. SOME people need to add it. And SOME people are just fine the way they are. Again - no one is disputing this. There exists no dispute.

Perhaps you are confused by the meaning of the word "refrain." Maybe you're confusing it with "reduce."

Old 01-21-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There is no dispute, because no one is claiming that ANYONE needs to refrain from salt. NO ONE needs to refrain from salt. SOME people need to cut down on it. SOME people need to add it. And SOME people are just fine the way they are. Again - no one is disputing this. There exists no dispute.

Perhaps you are confused by the meaning of the word "refrain." Maybe you're confusing it with "reduce."
Great AnonChick, because I got the idea that others though were suppose to eliminate salt from our diets. Which would have been crazy talk.

Refrain means restrain or hold back; curb. That is something we SHOULD NOT BE ADVISING anyone unless they have been tested or symptoms show a clear link.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Of course I don't make a recommendation. This is about a ratio not about individual levels.
The study you quoted did not make a recommendation, either. The "ratio" cannot be used to do that.

Quote:
There is no dispute that lowering salt intake can lower blood pressure. So that is a strawman argument. However, the dispute is that we all need to just refrain from salt. That is dangerous because salt that is too low is just as life threatening as salt that is too high. You just don't realize this because the western diet is high in sodium and many people need to reduce salt intake instead of increase it. But to BLINDLY recommend somone cut their salt intake is MALPRACTICE by anyone in the medical profession.

As AnonChick said, doctors do not BLINDLY tell anyone to cut their salt intake. They take a history first and determine how much salt the patient eats. Doctors do not tell anyone to "refrain" from salt, which would be pretty much impossible to do in this country.

The "ratio" in the article you quoted cannot be used to determine advisable intake of sodium and potassium. You are just BLINDLY fixated on the word "ratio".

Old 01-22-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The study you quoted did not make a recommendation, either. The "ratio" cannot be used to do that.
No the study didn't recommend a ratio but clearly showed that it needs to be balanced.

Quote:
As AnonChick said, doctors do not BLINDLY tell anyone to cut their salt intake. They take a history first and determine how much salt the patient eats. Doctors do not tell anyone to "refrain" from salt, which would be pretty much impossible to do in this country.

The "ratio" in the article you quoted cannot be used to determine advisable intake of sodium and potassium. You are just BLINDLY fixated on the word "ratio".
Yes, I have seen doctors tell people to cut their salt intake Blindly. Maybe anonchick has not. Sorry to tell you that not all doctors are following your script.

No not blindly fixed on the ratio. A ratio is established by pioneers in the field of biochemistry in this regard such as Paul Eck.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
And don't forget - if you live on the beach at the ocean and spend a lot of your time on the beach and in the water, the salt level of your hair will be up - even if you consume a low-salt diet. Well unless of course you wear a water-proof bathing cap all day long, but then, you'll end up sweating a lot from your scalp, which would get trapped under the bathing cap and sit on your head, thus boosting your hair's sodium level up anyway.

Then you take a blood test and discover your sodium levels are wayyyy down, but your hair mineral test shows they're wayyyyy up.... I guess the only thing to do then, is sell your beach house and move to Greenland where you have the lowest risk of atmospheric effects on your hair.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Never liked salt at all until I moved to South Florida with endless heat and humidty. Still don't use much but crave it more than ever I did living up in the North. In hot weather doing all that SWEATING I suppose you need more salt in your diet? LOVE my fresh saltwater seafood. Get natural salt from that.

My husband's doctor said for him to cut down on salt after his heart attack. Impossible to eliminate the salt in processed food, but just dont add MORE to it. Cardiologist'st words, not mine. However, if you cook from scratch, using only fresh ingredients YOU control the amount of salt in your foods. Example? What is the sodium in fresh green beens versus canned or frozen? Canned, including low salt, chicken stock as opposed to making your own chicken stock from a fresh chicken, water, fresh herbs, and fresh veggies? However much salt YOU the cook put into it. If you like cooking, and eating this way anyway, it really isn't much of a big deal.

Arugments, Suzy?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Never liked salt at all until I moved to South Florida with endless heat and humidty. Still don't use much but crave it more than ever I did living up in the North. In hot weather doing all that SWEATING I suppose you need more salt in your diet? LOVE my fresh saltwater seafood. Get natural salt from that.

My husband's doctor said for him to cut down on salt after his heart attack. Impossible to eliminate the salt in processed food, but just dont add MORE to it. Cardiologist'st words, not mine. However, if you cook from scratch, using only fresh ingredients YOU control the amount of salt in your foods. Example? What is the sodium in fresh green beens versus canned or frozen? Canned, including low salt, chicken stock as opposed to making your own chicken stock from a fresh chicken, water, fresh herbs, and fresh veggies? However much salt YOU the cook put into it. If you like cooking, and eating this way anyway, it really isn't much of a big deal.

Arugments, Suzy?
Not at all. You are just describing what most doctors do: take a history, know the patient's medical condition, and make recommendations from there.

They do not do hair analysis.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-23-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 01-23-2015, 05:02 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
If the back and forth arguements for/against hair analysis don't cease, this thread will be closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:34 AM

More on the sodium potassium ratio

HIGH SODIUM/POTASSIUM RATIO

Dr. Wilson is an MD. Or do we ban medical doctors here also?

FORMAL EDUCATION
1974-1979: Medical school at the Centro De Estudios Universitarios Xochicalco, Mexico (now located in Ensenada, Baja California). M.D. degree awarded August, 1979 (awarded through the Universidad Autonoma Del Estado De Guerrero, Mexico).
1968-1972: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. B.S. degree awarded in June 1972.

And also published several research papers:

RESEARCH PAPERS

1986, "Determination of Oxidation Types Based on Tissue Electrolyte Ratios". J Orthomol Med., Vol. 1, #2.

1980, "A Comparison of General Medical Screening and Screening in the Work Place". National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, Ohio.
1980, "Common Denominators in Community Preceptorships: Implications for Primary Care, Family Medicine and Medical Education". Co-authored with Dr. Rhoda Halperin and Susan Kyle, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine.
1979, "La Diarrea Aguda: Etiologias, Diagnostico, y la Experiencia Rural". Medical school thesis.
1972, "A Comparison of Two Global Planning Projects: The World Game and The Limits to Growth Project". Bachelor's thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

1981 to the present, numerous articles posted at Welcome to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness