Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,147,953 times

Advertisements

Don't replace garbage (diet coke) for more garbage ("natural " sodas).

All crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 12:48 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,291,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Don't replace garbage (diet coke) for more garbage ("natural " sodas).

All crap.
she already said she drinks tons of water. I think she needs to find something else. OP, you might to drink fruit juice or even iced tea.

Let me also add, I do not agree with some here who say, it is garbage and will ruin your health. I don't happen to like soda at all, so I drink, maybe 1 a year, but I also do not buy into all these studies. If you have stopped drinking soda and are sleeping better, that is great, if it doesn't help just enjoy a soda when you want, but keep it before dinner, so the caffine can work its way out of your system.

For those who are health nuts when it comes to food, I think that is great, good for you, but I don't think anything in moderatio is going to kill us. And i don't think being preachy will solve anything.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,120,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
I have the same issue. I either drink regular diet coke or caffeine free(or whatever other diet drink I can get my hands on like diet mountain dew). I feel like it's the only thing I can drink other water cus I have type 1 diabetes. But I've been hearing about the aspartame problems and other issues and I would like to quit but I don't know what to replace it with. I could do water but it has no taste and makes me go to the washroom a lot more than diet drinks do. Are there any diet drinks without these issues?
I think the sodas have mostly switched to using Splenda? You can check the label. At any rate Diet Rite definitely doesn't use aspartame, they were the first ones to switch away from it and use Splenda.

EDIT: I just checked, and Diet Coke does have aspartame.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,831,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K414n4 View Post
Water
Yeah, this is the best answer. You can jazz it up with a slice of lemon. It will take you a couple of MONTHS to get used to the idea, but at that point, you will probably never go back to the crap because you will look and feel better.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:00 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,180,680 times
You can also save money on the lemons by buying lemon juice in a bottle and keeping it in the fridge. I love to add a bit to my water, along with ice!

Old 12-25-2014, 03:53 PM

20 posts, read 18,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Um... cane juice IS sugar. It's from sugarcane. When they evaporate the water from the juice the resulting crystals are sugar crystals. There's no difference.

And the reason the Cokes taste the same is because back in the 60's they used to use sugar, then they switched to cheaper sweeteners.... but by using cane juice, they are still using sugar.

There's 2 things at work. First is -- manufacturers probably didn't have to convert processing plants from using a liquid sweetener to a crystalized sweetener by using cane juice -- just started pushing a different sweetener. Saved them money.

And second -- by people not knowing that anymore that "cane juice" is from sugarcane, they can fool people into thinking that it's new and special and healthy.... when in fact it's just sugar in a different form.

The OP asked for an alternative to the chemicals and artificial sweetners, more so than a "healthier" version with no sweetner at all, to the coke they had been drinking. And since they already asked about another natural coke called Cocoa Cola Life, informing them about other natural brand name sodas is probably more what they're looking for.

And it's pretty obvious evaporated cane juice comes from sugarcane. It's a more nutritional sweetner because it hasn't been stripped of its vitamins and minerals like over processed white sugar has. You can feel the difference after drinking it. Where white sugar will give you a quick lift then tired feeling after. Products with evaporated sugar don't do that, in my experience.

And in reference to the other poster who says natural sodas are garbage. There are natural sodas like Bruce Cost Gingel Ale that contain the natural ginger root sediments (that you shake before drinking), and after drinking, will help with things like high cholesterol, heart problems, illnesses and viruses and more, because of the high content of natural/organic ginger pieces that is in them. Most of the sodas in natural or organic stores have things like organic fruit and vegetables and fermentation in them which raises it's health benefits. I even bought one with cucumbers in the ingrediants one time. I didn't buy it again so I don't think it tasted all that good.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,832,842 times
I switched to sparkling water and it was an easy switch. I was at #6 a day! Took a few days but...it was not that bad. Now it tastes like sugarless bubble gum. ewww

Old 12-25-2014, 05:11 PM

11,333 posts, read 9,222,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't like the sparkling water options because of the sodium. They taste salty to me, especially once they go flat.

I drink decaf green tea and sweeten mine with Splenda. The cheapest option is Wal-Mart for decaf green tea bags. Second cheapest is Trader Joe's (half as many for the price, though). I boil water in a pan, then take the pan off the stove, and put in 16 decaf tea bags, and swish them around. When it cools down, I pour it into a gallon container and add water to fill the container, then sweeten each glass or bottle as I use it.

A great container to make it in, is the one that the ready-made Arizona decaf diet green tea comes in. You can get these at Safeway on sale often for around 2 for $5 or $6. Then, you can make your own after that in that container. It's a nice hard plastic.

I also like to drink something with flavor, and don't want calories or caffeine, and I feel like the green tea is good for me. I drink caffeinated coffee in the morning, then switch to decaf everything for the rest of the day, or I can't sleep at night.

Another note, I used to make regular iced tea, and it stained my teeth. The green tea doesn't seem to.
Say what? Wrong to mislead, especially when you do not know.

I just pulled out what I have in my refrigerator - Perrier and Wegmans Sparkling Water (Lime). Perrier lists "0mg sodium" and Wegmans "5mg sodium." The latter is what I usually buy because it is a 12 ounce serving. A 12 pack is $3.29, way cheaper than Perrier and at least as good. Bad idea to put the cap back on a big bottle of Perrier because it will go flat anyway and quickly. If one can't get Wegman's then Perrier sells small multi-packs. If I couldn't get anything else I would pay the extra money to buy it.

Mostly what I drink is regular filtered water and I drink a lot of it.

Drinking any soda is always a bad idea.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:15 PM

77 posts, read 117,033 times
Diet coke is no joke. It's like crack.

Natural sodas are an improvement from regular, but...anything carbonated is going to interfere with digestion and absorption of nutrients. If you're not worried about that, the sparkling water options are great! Either pre-flavored or plain sparkling water with a good splash of juice. Tiny pinch of sweetener and you're good to go.

And like someone else suggested, Crystal Light has good sugar free stuff. It's too sweet for me personally, so I like to water it down or mix it with something else. If you need caffeine, a Crystal Light arnold palmer is sooo good.

I also like aloe vera juice. It's not as expensive if you go to Trader Joe's and get the big gallon jug for $7 or so. And that is a very healthy drink for oral health and digestion. Tastes good once you get used to it. If you only like the smaller bottles, try looking for store specials or coupon hunting. It really is good stuff.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:38 PM

25,707 posts, read 21,861,540 times
Water. Although I haven't tried it, I saw it on FB where the lady placed some peeled fruit in a jar of water overnight and put it in the fridge. The next day, she ate the fruit out of it and claimed the water was tasty. I should try it and planned to. We also buy key lime juice and lemon juice and flavor either water or club soda, mostly water. Making your own green tea and flavoring it is a good option. Watch out for herbal teas as some have chicory added now, especially with Celestial Seasonings and it can have a laxative effect! I now avoid their teas and check all labels.

We distill our own drinking water since our son is sensitive to many things and it just makes sense to us.

Fruit juices are high in calories, eat the fruit instead and chase it down with water. I have heard nothing good about any of the artificial sweeteners and believe they are as addictive as sugar itself. Takes a while to beat an addiction as the body adjusts but it is SO worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness