Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is a certain limitation on getting shingles? I'm now on my 3rd time (at 48) which I find more than enough. In addition, 5 years ago I had them in my inner ear and they continually attack the nerve ending along my carotid artery. Those are a few times a year and I can't eat/drink. I always thought this was a once and your done type of thing?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 12:08 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,691 times
I'm sure there is no limitation - have you asked about getting the vaccine?

Old 01-09-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I'm sure there is no limitation - have you asked about getting the vaccine?
My daughter just suggested but I thought vaccines were a preventative and couldn't help after you alredy had.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:33 PM

I got it after one time getting shingles - haven't had it again and it has been 4-6 years since first time.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:02 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
My daughter just suggested but I thought vaccines were a preventative and couldn't help after you alredy had.
The vaccine for shingles is unique in that it is given to people who are already infected with the virus. It boosts the immune system and helps keep the virus controlled.

It is approved for people over age 50, and the problem is that insurance companies commonly will not cover it in younger people.

Ask your doctor for it. The reason it is not approved under age 50 is that studies have not been done in that age group. That does not mean it would not work or that risks are greater if you are under 50. It just means there is no data.

Shingles Vaccine

Old 01-09-2015, 02:57 PM

I got the vaccine before age 50 and I don't remember having to pay for it at all - probably because my records indicated I had the Shingles virus before the vaccine.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:54 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
It's preferable to wait six months after an outbreak before getting the vaccine.

The below is excerpted from an online site about shingles (aka zoster). The link is under the excerpt:

How soon after a case of shingles can a person receive zoster vaccine?
The general guideline for any vaccine is to wait until the acute stage of the illness is over and symptoms abate. However, a recent case of shingles is expected to boost the person's immunity to varicella. Zoster vaccine is also intended to boost immunity to varicella. Administering zoster vaccine to a person whose immunity was recently boosted by a case of shingles might reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine. ACIP does not have a specific recommendation on this issue. But it may be prudent to defer zoster vaccination for 6 to 12 months after the shingles has resolved so that the vaccine can produce a more effective boost to immunity.

Ask the Experts about Shingles (Zoster) Vaccines - CDC experts answer Q&As

Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 AM

thanks everyone....I've learned a lot here. I did call about getting the vaccine and was told I didn't "fall in the recommended age group" to have insurance cover it. But, I made an appointment to see if I can get an exception. Otherwise, if it would just work, I'll pay out of pocket.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:55 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
I have had them three times, once at 19, then again at 30 something, then again around 40 something. I am probably due.

I won't get the vaccine.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
thanks everyone....I've learned a lot here. I did call about getting the vaccine and was told I didn't "fall in the recommended age group" to have insurance cover it. But, I made an appointment to see if I can get an exception. Otherwise, if it would just work, I'll pay out of pocket.

With your history of infection, your insurance company may be able to make an exception. The key is making sure your medical professionals call to get a pre-auth.

Shingles is a virus like a cold sore is. Some people get cold sores nearly monthly.

If you qualify medically, you need that vaccine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness