Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times

Advertisements

I had flu that went into a respiratory infection. I was given Tamiflu initially, which probably shortened the duration a little, but missed Christmas and lost eight pounds in eight days - the only things that tasted good were halo clementines.

I made sure I drank enough to keep hydrated, and took ibuprofen, cough syrups (one expectorant for day, the other suppressant so I could sleep at night), and went through lots of cough drops and peppermint candy canes. I felt exhausted when it finally relented - it included a racking cough that was non-productive and wore me out, along with fever of about 101 1/2, a sore throat, and chills. The sore throat and deepening cough led to a Z-Pack three or four days into it, which took care of those symptoms but which upset my stomach. Not fun at all, and the timing was terrible! I hadn't been this sick in over twenty years.

Over 25 people have died from flu in my state, many of them elderly. A doctor friend reports the nursing homes he visits are filled with flu patients, many of whom are over 85 or 90, leading me to think this is a virus which has morphed into something for which few, if any, people have existing antibodies.

So get your flu shots - even if they are only 25-30% effective this year - and if it hits you as rapidly as it did me (had lunch with a friend, was sick three and a half hours later), seek Tamiflu immediately, take whatever OTC meds your doctors suggest, go to bed, force fluids, keep warm - and don't emerge until you're well. This is a bad one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 12:50 PM

52 posts, read 696,608 times
If you are relatively healthy, just do what you're doing. As always if you are a toddler or over 60, have auto immune disease, cardiac etc... they recommend tamiflu.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:05 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Rest. Hydration along with sufficient electrolyte. can use tylenol for the fever.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
I am having a really good time.

Got the flu shot in early October, two days later got the flu, yes I know it was not from the shot, must have been exposed to someone with the flu prior to getting the shot.

Now in January, have the flu for a second time, must be the mutated strain.

Really sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Normally have very good health.

Doing all the right things, liquids, sleep etc.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:38 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've got it bad and wondering what people do to treat this?

I've given cans of chicken soup and Alka-Seltzer Plus. I'm drinking lots of water.

Thanks.
I had it over the Christmas holiday and it was really weird. Very intense for four days, couldn't hardly get out of bed. I just slept and slept (didn't have a choice) and all of a sudden it eased up. However, there has been a bit of an aftermath where I tend to tire easily.

I have found Mucinex to be very good for congestion and I like Oscillococcinum, a homeopathic. Wikipedia is very harsh on this preparation and thinks it is quackery. It may be a placebo effect, but it works for me.

I find sleep and hydration to be most helpful.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:53 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliSpaghetti View Post
If you are relatively healthy, just do what you're doing. As always if you are a toddler or over 60, have auto immune disease, cardiac etc... they recommend tamiflu.
BS about that over 60. We aren't all clones of one another.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
My prayers to anyone who has the flu this season. However, I've had the flu twice in the past 20 years and neither time was I well enough to get on the computer, even to ask for advice on meds. Both times I was too busy trying to get through the worst of the illness and not to die. I could barely crawl on the floor to the bathroom. So I presume that those who are posting on this forum for flu advice are either in the later stages of the illness or are experiencing a milder version than I did.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
I've been sleeping mainly and eating campbell's chicken soup and I'm starting to feel better now. I called my doctor's office and his waiting room is loaded with people sick with the flu they said and I've been told by a family member my local hospital ER is overloaded with people with the flu. So I will just stay here at home and wait it out.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
I also find that a good physic to flush the lower intestine helps to speed recovery, but not until one is through the worst part.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:17 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
Never had any stuffy nose with this for some reason. Just a bad dry cough so this might just be a bad cold and not the flu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness